GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gemini UL - any good with turtle based maneuvers?  (Read 611 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: June 25, 2012, 01:01 PM »

I have been away from flying sport kites and 6 years, and now I am back.  Understanding that the Gemini UL is an old design, I just pick one up directly from Tim Benson as I just want to do some old school tricks like 540 flat spin, cascade, backspin, flic-flac and backspin cascade etc. 

Dated back 10 years ago, I used to own the older version of Gemini std and UL, both of which are very weak in all the turtle based maneuver.  With this latest version that has the rollbar, does it have any improvement in those yo-yo,  lazy susan and jacob ladder tricks?

Rudy
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:06 PM by rudyy » Logged
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53 PM »

My limited experience with the Gemini is that it does not have a deep turtle and will not stay in any turtle position for very long.

You need to be real quick. Whilst it tricks well it is not my preferred Benson Kite.

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:04 PM »

THe newer version is better but still requires the right touch for turtle based tricks.  I have a Gen one Gem and can do just about anything with it.  You still have to throw it deep in the turtle and hit the tricks  before it fully settles in though.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:00 AM »

One of the problems with the original Gem's was that the trickline got in the way of turtle based tricks- lazies etc. A lot of people 'pulled in' the trickline by shortening the connecting lines from the standoffs from 10cm ( I think) down to 6cm and lengthening the trickline to suit or cutting it in half and putting a piece of elastic cord in the middle like the Outerspace. This helped quite a bit.  I understand that the latest generation Gems have been 'tweeked' a bit to make them better at more modern tricks but they are still not in the same class as the Deepspace.  Most Benson kites seem to like you to flow from one trick into another, they don't seem to like waiting around for the next input.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:19 AM »

RIght Hadge.  THe gem definitely makes a good dance partner once you learn the steps and it ain't no waltz either.  More like a Jitterbug.  Trick line connectors are 7CM now and the spine section was narrowed a bit as well as a skyshark reframe with stops or bars and 7gm weights in each tail
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51 AM »

I have both, a new Gem and an old one, and they're the same in the turtle. Not the easiest kites to do a JL, but with some concentration, a few rungs will pop out. It's one of those kites that likes to go one trick to the next... think fast !
Check out the 'Stoked in the Park' videos or 'Sleight of Hand' video to see the Gem at it's best...

Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58 AM »

Check out Lars' Gemini videos as well:

Gemini Freestyle, multilazies!
http://www.bensontwins.nl/video/freestyle.mov

Gemini/Deespace mix:
http://www.bensontwins.nl/video/finalgemspace.wmv
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:11 PM »

I have both, a new Gem and an old one, and they're the same in the turtle. Not the easiest kites to do a JL, but with some concentration, a few rungs will pop out. It's one of those kites that likes to go one trick to the next... think fast !
Check out the 'Stoked in the Park' videos or 'Sleight of Hand' video to see the Gem at it's best...

Yep it definitley won't wait for ya.  It remindes me of the q-pro in that your timing and inputs have to be near perfect to get it to do what you want.  Ironically I think its better with the original first gen crossover active bridle but I haven't tried it with the tri star bridle yet
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:43 PM »

Check out Lars' Gemini videos as well:

Gemini Freestyle, multilazies!
http://www.bensontwins.nl/video/freestyle.mov

Gemini/Deespace mix:
http://www.bensontwins.nl/video/finalgemspace.wmv

thats some nice flying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change