GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 09:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lookey, Lookey What Just Arrived?  (Read 3996 times)
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 02:44 PM »

YOu might not have gotten the LE together right or the ferrule could have come unglued during a hard tip landing.  Its common and easily fixed.  CA glue has good bonding strength but poor sheer strength. 
That's good news!  Smiley

Removal is easy enough, you just slide the fitting up the rod as you pull the rod out (soapy water can help it slide easier) and once you get to the point the upper end of the rod is able to be puled out of the fitting cut out, simply slide the rod out of the LE pocket.  Do the same for both the upper and lower LE. YOu won't have to remove the bridle this way.  If the ferrule slipped you may need a long rod to poke it back out so you can remove and re-glue it.  IF the ferrule broke then its a bit more involved to remove and replace but let us know what you find when you get the leading edge out.
Sorry, but I don't see how I can remove either leading edge piece without cutting fabric or the connectors. They join at a spot (mid-way) where there is fabric and, if I try to slide either piece in any direction, the connectors stop progress after just a few inches. There is not enough room in the lining to even push the rods past each other. I'll admit that I am not gifted spatially, but I cannot seem to find a way to get access to that joint. I think I better wait for Jon to see what he recommends.

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 03:14 PM »

You have to slide the fittings along the rod bit by bit until you get the upper end of the rod in the cut out where the fitting is. THen you can slide the rod out of the fabric. The fittings aren't glued in place and will slide up but not down because of the stop that is glued in place.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 03:16 PM »

... Is it common for line sets to be that far off right out of the bag?! Undecided

No it's not really common for Shanti lines to come in unequal. Hook both loops together over something stationary, a nail in a fence, a coat hanger over a car bumper, however and walk them out and check them. If they felt that far off I might suspect you had the bridle on the kite looped around a spreader or stuck behind a stand off, but check the lines first before the next flight to confirm they are right.

I think I managed to pull off a fade if that's when the kite goes on its back. I pushed hard with both hands and she flipped, flew a bit, then I pulled and out she came! Wow! ...

That would be a "Turtle" or backflip, when there you're all set there to do a "Lazy Susan", pop one line and give lots of slack with both hands, even step forward, and the kite will do an axel type spin on its back.

... I couldn't figure out how to stall the kite anywhere except the edge of the envelope; even when I lunged and ran forward, the kite still rose. I think I need lighter winds to practice that move.

Hard to stall in heavy winds, you could set the kite "Heavier", on the Widowmaker move the larkshead connected to the pigtail off the upper spreader down a knot (make it longer), that will slow the kite some in higher winds and reduce its drive.

... it looks like what happened is that the two leading edge pieces slid further together at the joint. When I pulled them apart, then pushed back, there was nothing stopping them from just continuing to overlap, which shortened the leading edge and caused the piece to slip down from the nose (and the fabric to gather at the connectors). Evidently, one of the tip landings must have pushed those two pieces into each other, but I'm really not sure. I cannot actually get a look at that joint because the fabric covers it and I'm not sure how to get it apart without damaging something else.

I have written to Jon to see if there is some fix I can apply from here; if not, I guess it's back to the shop for repairs... Cry

Ken

Hopefully it's just an unglued ferrel but it sounds like you may have split the female side of the Leading Edge.

Enjoy that Widowmaker though, it was a great choice, well behaved for starting out, doesn't overpower too much as the wind comes up and is pretty forgiving in the tricks department which should let you experience some success a bit quicker.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:18 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ken Bour

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 03:36 PM »

Hopefully it's just an unglued ferrel but it sounds like you may have split the female side of the Leading Edge.

The kite never hit anything other than mother earth (nose plant a coupla times) so it seems unlikely that the leading edge could have split! Those pieces were joined together before flight. Hmmm...

Anyway, Jon wrote back right away with a detailed technical description as to what I COULD do (involves breaking a "C" clip, removing the bridle, and other complex steps). He also offered to fix it for free! Grin  No brainer - I am sending her back to papa tomorrow for some TLC.

Ken

red sweater

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 04:13 PM »

... Is it common for line sets to be that far off right out of the bag?! Undecided

No it's not really common for Shanti lines to come in unequal. Hook both loops together over something stationary, a nail in a fence, a coat hanger over a car bumper, however and walk them out and check them. If they felt that far off I might suspect you had the bridle on the kite looped around a spreader or stuck behind a stand off, but check the lines first before the next flight to confirm they are right.

I just got a Dyneema lineset (yes, lower quality) that was off 7+ inches after the first flight. (I didn't check before that.) That spurred me to check my Prism lineset that came with my Quantum (mind you, I've had the Quantum for 2 or 3 years, but flew it only a few times each year), and it was off 4+ inches. I'm not having good luck, am I?

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 04:21 PM »

Yep, sounds like an unglued ferrule.  You could always feel the upper leading edge @ the ferrule end.  You should be able to feel a difference where the ferrule is sticking out (smaller diameter).  If you can't feel any difference at the end where they join, then it came loose and is most likely inside the rod.

Jon will take care of you though.

-Mike
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 07:17 PM »

Jontoldme about it today.  Sorry to hear about it.  MY two new babies were broke in the same week..  Send them to Papa to fix.  This way it's done right.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26 AM »

Linesets do stretch (creep) over time....but sometimes they are just plain made wrong!  Always a good idea to check your lines both when new and after flying for a while.  My linesets always seem to be slightly longer on the right side.....because I do most of my tricks on the right - need to fix that and force my lefty to be more active. LOL

Inferior linesets will stretch out more than higher quality lines will.  There are so many different qualities of Dyneema that it is impossible to tell which ones are really good and which ones are very poor.  The poor lines will stretch so much that it is nearly impossible to use them.  Adjust, fly once....adjust again...grrrrr.  Most factory linesets are of sub-quality.  They work...but will need to be adjusted after a couple flights. 

Pre-stretching your lines will help minimize the creep, but poor quality lines will creep no matter what.

Back on topic - Glad Jon is going to take care of your kite for you.  It is always a bummer when you break a new kite.  Sometimes it is just something super easy or simple like re-gluing a ferule, other times it requires a more in depth repair like replacing a rod or two...or three. Wink  It would be good for you to learn how to do this on your own.  Most parts on most kites are easily replaced, even the spars and usually only take about 10-20 minutes to do.  Spare parts usually cost less than the cost of shipping the kite.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 01:50 PM »

Linesets do stretch (creep) over time....but sometimes they are just plain made wrong!  Always a good idea to check your lines both when new and after flying for a while.  My linesets always seem to be slightly longer on the right side.....because I do most of my tricks on the right - need to fix that and force my lefty to be more active. LOL

Since 95% of my tricks are right handed.  Sad

You could switch the lines and then you would stretch the old left line to match the right.  Grin

red sweater

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 01:54 PM »

Since 95% of my tricks are right handed.  Sad

You could switch the lines and then you would stretch the old left line to match the right.  Grin

Rrrred on Rrrrleft? Huh

My bag:
Rev EXP
Ken Bour

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 02:46 PM »

I attached the new Skybond line to a screwdriver stuck in the ground and pulled it taut to 100 feet. Surprising fact (to me!): one line was about 1" longer than the other, so MikenChico had it right, that is, I must have done something goofy with the lines or some stretching occurred in my maiden flying session. In any event, they are now even lengths, so I took out my Trooper (WM is on its way back to Jon for repairs) and flew for a coupla hours this afternoon. I do like this Skybond line. It is light and silky smooth.

Anyway, truth in reporting required me to fess up.

Ken

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Ken, they will get stretched out no matter what. Some just more than others under different conditions. You have to check them periodically.

My speedfoil line stretched about 4 inches in one session in high winds.
Ken Bour

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Ken, they will get stretched out no matter what. Some just more than others under different conditions. You have to check them periodically.

My speedfoil line stretched about 4 inches in one session in high winds.

@Tmadz: Indeed, last time I did fly in high winds and probably favor the right side being right-handed. I will make line-checking a periodic routine and adjust accordingly! Grin

Ken

red sweater

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 03:59 PM »

Linesets do stretch (creep) over time....but sometimes they are just plain made wrong!  Always a good idea to check your lines both when new and after flying for a while.

This is a bit of a rez of this topic, but I felt my comment belonged here.

I just got a Prism lineset from Steve. The lengths were off by 2 inches from the factory. Worse, though, is the fact that the sleeving doesn't match on the lines. One line has red sleeving at the kite end, and blue sleeving/strap at the other, and vice versa for the other line.

It's hard to find good QA, isn't it?

My bag:
Rev EXP
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 08:20 PM »

Linesets do stretch (creep) over time....but sometimes they are just plain made wrong!  Always a good idea to check your lines both when new and after flying for a while.

This is a bit of a rez of this topic, but I felt my comment belonged here.

I just got a Prism lineset from Steve. The lengths were off by 2 inches from the factory. Worse, though, is the fact that the sleeving doesn't match on the lines. One line has red sleeving at the kite end, and blue sleeving/strap at the other, and vice versa for the other line.

It's hard to find good QA, isn't it?
Um the sleeving is the same. one line just got reversed when they added the straps.  Color of the sleeving really doesn't matter much after a while but the strap color can help in the begining.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document