GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lookey, Lookey What Just Arrived?  (Read 4247 times)
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 09:22 AM »

Um the sleeving is the same.
Um, clearly I meant the color. I even said so explicitly in the next sentence, which you clearly read and understood.

one line just got reversed when they added the straps.
Also the sleeving at the strap end. Mismatch. So you agree they aren't the same.

Color of the sleeving really doesn't matter much after a while but the strap color can help in the begining.
Agreed. However, since I doubt they sleeve one end, wrap both lines on the winder, and then just randomly pick which line gets the blue and red sleeving (which would only match the other end 50% of the time), I would imagine they actually try to get the sleeving to be matching, and have a procedure to follow which enables it. That they did not does not speak highly of the manufacturer's process and quality assurance. Which was my very concluding point.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 09:48 AM »

I don't really manage right versus left.   

I just pick up the straps and move one in order to see if it is connected to the correct wing - if not, then I reverse them.   This way, although I am right handed, the lines get equal time (and hopefully also wear and stretch). 

Tom

PS - I find that regardless of what line that I've tried so far, I need to recut them to equal length after a month or 2 and then they stay pretty close. 

6 kite tom
Ken Bour

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 12:49 PM »

Today, I took my WM to the Wings Over Washington monthly kite fly at the Washington Monument.

The winds were really brisk (incoming weather front) averaging in the 8-10 MPH range with gusts to 15 MPH! I finally had a chance to try the wind screens, the tail weight, and the 175 lb. Skybond. All of these factors were still not enough to control the kite sufficiently for tricking, esp. at my level. It was all I could do, at times, to hang on from having it pull me down the field!

I had a lot of fun and this striking and colorful kite sure did attract attention among the onlookers. I was able to pull off a few tricks like axels, a turtle or two, and one 540, but it was challenging to say the least.

It so happens that I was the only one with a dualie - all the others (at least 6) were flying REVs and they are terrific pilots as well as friendly guys. I will be joining the club at their next renewal period (end of August) and there's a pretty high likelihood that I'll be turning to the DARK side given the plethora of quad experts. I was offered the opportunity to try it, but politely declined this time. Still, I have to admin that I am fascinated by the quad kites and what these guys can do in blistering winds with relatively little apparent effort... Tongue

One thing that was totally awesome was to be facing the White House with the Monument to my right, the Lincoln Memorial to my left, and the Jefferson behind me! Now that's a flying field! Grin

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
red sweater

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Would have been there, too, with dualies in tow, had I...

1 remembered before this morning
2 not had a sick infant

Next month isn't looking too promising, either (but possible), and I definitely can't do the first Sunday in October. Still never been to one of these. Tongue

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change