GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lookey, Lookey What Just Arrived?  (Read 4155 times)
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 25, 2012, 05:05 PM »

My new SkyBurner WidowMaker just arrived, but it came too late to try and fly her - plus the winds are a bit fierce today!

With any luck, maybe I'll get a chance tomorrow...

Ken

Note: Edited today to remove original file attachment and substitute image weblink
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:09 AM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Nice contrasting colors.  Smiley

Can't wait to here your 1st report after you get her in the air.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:37 PM »

You'll definitely see that coming. Sweet.
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:11 PM »

I like that color mix too!  Cool
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:10 PM »

CallJon and askl himto send yo a set of Wind Flaps ..For High Winds.  You'll love em'...  You have a very sweet kite.  Can you do Roll up's or Lewis's.  Huh  If not get ready ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 05:04 AM »

Well, no question as to that kite's orientation... It will be helpful in low light conditions, like from October to April. I loose track of which way the kite is pointing sometimes with my dark colored kites. Even though I like the looks of a black kite, it's a nightmare to fly if you like to do tricks.

Ken Bour

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:32 AM »

CallJon and askl himto send yo a set of Wind Flaps ..For High Winds.  You'll love em'...  You have a very sweet kite.  Can you do Roll up's or Lewis's.  Huh  If not get ready ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Thanks for the compliment. Can you tell me what "wind flaps" are and how they are used?

Regarding "tricks," I haven't learned any yet, but I remain optimistic. I am still struggling (with another kite) to get the basics down (e.g, push turns, stalls, flying straight, simple figures). Now that the WM has arrived, hopefully I'll start making progress... The "other" kite has been challenging for me to control and the winds haven't been too cooperative lately.

Ken

vertigo2u

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:43 AM »

Wind Flaps... Call Jon.  I had some photos of them some where here on line.  They slide over your stays and on the spreader.  I'll look for photo..

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:54 AM »

Interesting accessory. The result makes me think of stunt kite plastic surgery to be a quad.

Is this something that a newb can use o improve their flying or is it just another line of enjoyment for those already experienced?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:59 AM »

Here is Vertigo's original thread about the flaps.   Just have to use that search box in the upper right....there is a lot of info on this board tucked away!
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=6836.0

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ken Bour

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:50 AM »

I found them on http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/category.aspx?categoryid=10&startpage=0 - see "Wind Screens." Cost is $12 a pair.

I raised a question on Vertigo2's original page (thanks to Thief) as to what might happen if one were to add a 2nd set of screens on the outside standoffs. Would the kite slow down another 20%? His Solus and my WM happen to have dual standoffs.

Ken

vertigo2u

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03 PM »

No one set is enough you silly goose.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite junkies will try everything.  i am putting together last night.

It was 7:30 pm..Wind was strong.  I flew WM std.  Then WM ul  Then Ocius Sul.....  It was a good day of working the Fade.  Still editing pauses out.  I see improvement.  I want those CFS... Cheesy

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42 PM »

Interesting accessory. The result makes me think of stunt kite plastic surgery to be a quad.

Is this something that a newb can use o improve their flying or is it just another line of enjoyment for those already experienced?
YOu would be thinking of Jons Q_flaps which turn a dual into a quad.  Lots of fun for a change of pace.
Ken Bour

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:48 PM »

Well, I managed to put my new WM-STD in the air today. It was extremely windy and blustery, but I tried to be very gentle with her. I walked forward when the wind pulled and tended to keep her in the outside of the envelope.

First impressions? I love the COLOR - she really stands out in the sky. In terms of flight characteristics, it's just hard for me to tell given the variable wind conditions and my neophyte skills. She certainly FELT responsive and solid as I did basic stuff. I was flying pre-packaged 100# Skybond at 100' length, but I'm quite sure that the lines were not even. They looked to be off by 6" or more when I unrolled the line! I tried to make an adjustment at the wrist straps, but I'll need to take my time and do it more scientifically. Is it common for line sets to be that far off right out of the bag?! Undecided

I think I managed to pull off a fade if that's when the kite goes on its back. I pushed hard with both hands and she flipped, flew a bit, then I pulled and out she came! Wow! Also, I may have done something sorta like an axel, but it was so weird-looking and happened so fast that I cannot be sure. I tried it a second time, but the kite just floated helter-skelter to the ground.

I couldn't figure out how to stall the kite anywhere except the edge of the envelope; even when I lunged and ran forward, the kite still rose. I think I need lighter winds to practice that move.

I also found it exceedingly difficult to land on two edges (at the same time). I would try pushing my arms and lunging forward, keeping the arms even; but, each time, one tip would touch down, while the other would continue rotating and, when I tried to correct, I ended up over-doing it. I'm sure that it will just take a lot more practice figuring out the right amount of input. Right now, I'm definitely over compensating.

Then, after about an hour, I encountered a problem which shut down the action. I walked up to reset the kite and noticed the right leading edge piece had slid down from the nose about 4-5". The wing tip was properly tensioned and had not come apart. After investigating more carefully, it looks like what happened is that the two leading edge pieces slid further together at the joint. When I pulled them apart, then pushed back, there was nothing stopping them from just continuing to overlap, which shortened the leading edge and caused the piece to slip down from the nose (and the fabric to gather at the connectors). Evidently, one of the tip landings must have pushed those two pieces into each other, but I'm really not sure. I cannot actually get a look at that joint because the fabric covers it and I'm not sure how to get it apart without damaging something else.

I have written to Jon to see if there is some fix I can apply from here; if not, I guess it's back to the shop for repairs... Cry

Ken

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 02:18 PM »

YOu might not have gotten the LE together right or the ferrule could have come unglued during a hard tip landing.  Its common and easily fixed.  CA glue has good bonding strength but poor sheer strength.   Removal is easy enough, you just slide the fitting up the rod as you pull the rod out (soapy water can help it slide easier) and once you get to the point the upper end of the rod is able to be puled out of the fitting cut out, simply slide the rod out of the LE pocket.  Do the same for both the upper and lower LE. YOu won't have to remove the bridle this way.  If the ferrule slipped you may need a long rod to poke it back out so you can remove and re-glue it.  IF the ferrule broke then its a bit more involved to remove and replace but let us know what you find when you get the leading edge out.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document