GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 09:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do if one of the lines misses the stopper during yoyo?  (Read 1205 times)
PeteW
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 02, 2012, 11:19 AM »

Usually I do one or two twists before yoyo and there is no such problem.... but from time to time it happens to do it with no twists. Then it is often to miss the stopper with one of the lines... if I'm lucky enough I do immediate unroll but if I'm not I finish with uncontrolled spin on the ground.

So what do you guys do to recover from such situations?
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:43 AM »

You could install a set of these!  Smiley

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#photo/112089401899050721821/5693948734514486065/5760641665006407490

You could also work on technique, or both. 

Make sure you are hitting both sides with the same strength pop at the same time.  Also, it is harder if the kite is a slow yoyoer which can often be sped up with a bit more tail weight.

Good luck,
Tom

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:46 AM »

I like to joke that the claws gave you 6 times more chances to catch the yoyo!  Smiley

They do make it hard to miss - like fishing in a barrel.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57 AM »

Ah, I missed the part on recovery. 

I usually do one of 2 things, both of which require getting the kite on its back as soon as you can.

- turtle, then half lazy in the wrapped side, unwrap to a fade.  This assumes the non caught line is around the LE but below the stopper.

- turtle, then tension the non wrapped side and do a  insane all the way down to a landing.  No one will know you missed!  Smiley.   This one assumes an absolute miss on one side.

6 kite tom
PeteW
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply Tom. I will definitely try those.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:27 AM »

Usually I do one or two twists before yoyo and there is no such problem.... but from time to time it happens to do it with no twists. Then it is often to miss the stopper with one of the lines... if I'm lucky enough I do immediate unroll but if I'm not I finish with uncontrolled spin on the ground.

So what do you guys do to recover from such situations?

Here's a tip. The moment you get into a yoyo and notice that one side caught onto the yoyo stoppers while the other side missed, you can try to unroll immediately. Slight push -> nose back -> pull to unroll. The key here is that when you unroll, put slightly more tension on the side that has locked onto the primary yoyo stopper. This will unroll the kite more easily.

If you were to do vice versa i.e. pull slightly more on the side that you missed, the kite would highly turtle -> but in that instance you would do a quick half lazy and unroll away.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 02:14 PM »

I can do that. I call it a yo-knot because that's what I end up with.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:57 PM »

You can install training wheels...

CV

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document