GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting with the Enigma on a cold snowy day in Michigan  (Read 424 times)
jlmcevoy
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 19, 2014, 06:30 AM »

Just a few clips of a recent bit of exercise for me. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/-Zdu-Yu6quw

Jim

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:53 AM by jlmcevoy » Logged
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:08 AM »

Another nice video! Thanks Jim  Smiley

Boy do I recognize that sky, snow, wind sound.  Brrr.  Only 18 here yesterday.  30 today - maybe.

Looks like it rolls up ok  Cheesy  The red nose and tips are really helpful to follow the kite through the tricks.

10mph seems a nice wind speed for the kite and tricks.  I could hear the sail when you snapped corners or pulled back sharply.

Talk soon and thanks again.

Steve

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
jlmcevoy

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:18 AM »

Yes, the sound of flying can be informative. I was debating about a little music to overlay on the video but decided to go natural.

The standard Enigma just handles great in 10 mph winds with the full set of weights. It is moderate to fast and snap stalls in the power zone easily. Slides, rollups, cometes, rolling susans, etc. are all there.

Good job with the mods Steve.

Jim
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:57 AM »

I love the sound of crisp new ripstop in the morning!

Allen, AKA kitehead
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 11:00 AM »

Came down stairs to work on computer cause it's cold and snowing. Totally not understanding how on Nov. 11th. I was flying in warm air high wind...now Nov. 19th. My back yard is white. Drive way has two inches of snow on it.    Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry    So I visit gwtw and see Jim's name...  Huh Huh Huh Huh I click on Jim who lives about an 1 1/2 hr. drive north from my house.  and I see Snow.   Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry  Not going to be a easy Winter... Need some warm weather videos...  Huh Huh

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
jlmcevoy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 11:23 AM »

We need a road trip to Florida!
vertigo2u

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 11:56 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy:D Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy:D Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy : Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy :Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy ::Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy :
Too Funny ...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
stapp59

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:19 PM »

I could express sympathy for your cold weather but since I live just south of you with the same weather, I only have two words - dress warmly.   Roll Eyes Cheesy

Allen - too funny!

Jim - rock on!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:34 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:02 PM »

Hi Jim:

Nice video.

I'm from South Florida so we never seen snow here.

Now On the other hand. in Summer is not nice to fly a kite on a Humid 90 plus degrees day. You will melt before the kite does...

One ting I would like to try is a snow board with a power kite.  Smiley

Some day I might have the chance to try it.
vertigo2u

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:11 AM »

In my last video you can see the guys in the back ground with their Big Kites and surf boards.  During the Winter they take off across the frozen lake.  They use snow boards.  They built a ramp out of snow to fly off.  Very cool.  There is an island about 10 miles out on the lake.  They go as a group sometimes.  Out and back.  They wear some serious winter wet suits to stay warm.  Depressing watching them have fun... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
<--- learned to do a 540 during a week of 90 degree weather.

I need to use my snow blower today we got about 5 inches last night.  Really sucks.  Weather report is temps. going to 40'-50's by Monday...  might just by past snow machine and wait for it to melt.. Can you say Global Warming ??
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:12 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

jlmcevoy

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:00 PM »

Here are a few more clips of the same session. Enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8MJjtWr-gU
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:52 PM »

br-rr-rrrr, I was flying the Enigma UL in shirt sleeves and sunshine this afternoon.
I don't think that I own clothes that would be suitable for your conditions!  Shocked

no videos yet, I really struggle with shooting video.  Lips sealed

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
jlmcevoy

« Reply #12 on: Today at 04:24 AM »

SKB,

With photography like that we need no video! That panel layout really grabs a person.

Oh, and send some of that warmer weather up north when you get a chance.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum