GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: we should back this  (Read 1436 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: December 08, 2013, 03:23 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1818583221/sparrowscope-take-stunning-aerial-photos-from-a-ki
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:58 AM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
tarheel
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:05 PM »

That is an awesome concept.  The device yes, but also the business launch marketing tool.  There are some very bright young people coming into the workplace.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:47 PM »

I have backed a few from Kickstarter, Hopefully this will get off the ground no pun intended, well maybe a little. 75000 for a goal is quite high. Be interested to see if the directional would be stable with just a paddle. Tilt looks good though.

Donald Jacobs

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Sparrowscope
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 11:43 AM »

Thank you Steve for posting this, and for all your help publicizing this project. And thanks for the compliment, tarheel!

I'm Ori, the person behind the Sparrowscope. The Kickstarter page for the Sparrowscope: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1818583221/sparrowscope-take-stunning-aerial-photos-from-a-ki

I've been into kites for my whole life; here I am at age 2, in a photo my dad took.

My dad would take me to that spot by the river, where you can't fly kites anymore because some trees have grown in. My mom tells the story that I would try to wrap the kite line around my waist and say "now my turn!" I tried to attach the kite tail to myself, figuring that was the reason that it could fly and I couldn't. My grasp of aerodynamics has significantly improved since then Smiley

I'm glad to still be flying kites. Here's a photo of my dad and me from a few weeks ago (taking the barn photo that's in the video), but this time I'm taking the picture and it's from the Sparrowscope so we are both in it. You can see me pressing the shutter button on the iPad my dad is holding. I mailed my parents a print of this photo just before launching the Kickstarter, because without them I wouldn't have got to where I am today.

I appreciate any tweets, emails to people who might be interested in the Sparrowscope, or anything else to get the word out there. If you want a Sparrowscope for yourself, you can see I was striving to make the most user-friendly rig, and I managed to make it less than half the price of what the equivalent rig would cost you today, and with a fraction of the complexity. You can support the project here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1818583221/sparrowscope-take-stunning-aerial-photos-from-a-ki

Donald: yep, it's a high goal, but making these custom metal and plastic components needs a bulk order—300 units is what I need to make for this project to make sense. Just that one final prototype from the video (not counting development time, which is the real expense but didn't come directly from my bank account) cost me around $3000; the up-front cost of these things is quite high. Making a lot of them is a must to get the rig under $200, and even if I make the goal I still don't cover those sunk development costs. I'm really doing this for fun, if I was in it for money I would have made yet another metal pen on Kickstarter Wink

As for the paddlewheel, a lot of testing went to getting that combination of motor and paddlewheel shape. You can imagine that with a very small paddlewheel, you get less 'push' but also a higher motor speed. As the paddlewheel gets larger, you get more torque, then it starts dropping off again until you reach some point where there's too much air resistance and the paddlewheel won't even turn against the wind. There's an efficiency peak somewhere in the middle of 'tiny paddlewheel' and 'huge paddlewheel', which I got to by trial and error. It works well and doesn't require pushing against the kite line, so there isn't any springback to the rotation which you get with picavet rigs (I tested those too!).

Thanks everyone,

Ori
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:32 PM »

How do you get the live video feed to the ground if all you have on the ground is a Wi-Fi device and a location without an internet connection (most places open enough to safely fly a kite)?

F¡deli°
Sparrowscope

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:57 PM »

Good question, Fidelio, and one I should answer more clearly on my Kickstarter page.

You don't need to have an internet connection, the two devices just need to be able to communicate via wifi. Fortunately, most devices can create their own network.

You configure one of the two devices as a wifi hotspot, and the other device connects to that 'network.' That's usually a feature called "Personal Hotspot" (on an iPhone), or "Tethering & portable hotspot" (Android), which you can find in the phone settings. Now that they are on the same network, the app running on both devices will be able to connect for both remote control and live video feed.
fidelio

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Thanks for the answer, and it might also be worth clarifying for potential backers that tethering the two devices together doesn't mean they have to pay for tethering from their service provider for the functionality you're using with the Sparrowscope.

F¡deli°
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:45 AM »

Good question, Fidelio, and one I should answer more clearly on my Kickstarter page.

You don't need to have an internet connection, the two devices just need to be able to communicate via wifi. Fortunately, most devices can create their own network.

You configure one of the two devices as a wifi hotspot, and the other device connects to that 'network.' That's usually a feature called "Personal Hotspot" (on an iPhone), or "Tethering & portable hotspot" (Android), which you can find in the phone settings. Now that they are on the same network, the app running on both devices will be able to connect for both remote control and live video feed.

so..in theory you could use a phone that does not have a sim card in it?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Sparrowscope

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 12:36 PM »

Hi Thief,

It's not only in theory! I often use a phone with no SIM card in it with the Sparrowscope, since I have a few testing devices and only one SIM card for my phone. So yeah, you can definitely use a 'retired' smartphone on the Sparrowscope and you don't need a SIM.

It almost goes without saying, if you don't need a SIM then you don't need a data plan either. If you do have one, the Sparrowscope app doesn't count towards your monthly limit.

Ori
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40 PM »

What about controlling the thing from a laptop rather than another iOS/Android device?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Sparrowscope

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 08:25 AM »

Hi Allen,

It's possible that other computing devices could be used to control the Sparrowscope, but for now it's just Android and iOS. How I imagine most people using the Sparrowscope would be sending up their own phone/iPod Touch, and likely getting a friend to install the free app on their phone which would be used as the remote.

What do you have in mind?

Ori
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:58 PM »

too bad this project did not make its goal.....what are you going to do Ori? are you able to make any?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
fidelio

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 10:54 PM »

Could you 3d print the pieces you were needing molds for and just build on demand as ordered as a sideline passion business?

F¡deli°
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document