GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to post pictures?  (Read 5601 times)
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: June 26, 2012, 07:44 PM »

I've tried to post pictures but the limit is 100kb per picture and my smallest is 150kb, how do I show pictures?
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:28 AM »

Most of us use flikr, picasa or some other site to host them and just copy/paste the forum cod those sites generate into the post.  Much easier than trying to size right for the forum and the linked picks don't get deleted after a few months like attachments do.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37 AM »

Here are the details from skb:
You will need to have the pictures posted up on a site like Picasa/google+/photobucket/flickr (I am not a fan of webshots at all and do not recommend it).

I'm Old Skool- right click/copy the Thumbnail Image URL, paste it inside the Full-sized Image's URL.

Like this: [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/skb/wsikf-snowflake-1.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/skb/th_wsikf-snowflake-1.jpg[/img][/url]

It took some trickery to prevent the Forum's software from rendering the image, but I wanted to show you exactly what I typed.

Trickery removed you get this:

^clickable thumbnail™

Remember, Preview is your friend!

I typed this all by hand too, Tags, I don't need no steekin' tags!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikeb

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:28 AM »

I have photobucket but I don't understand (just copy/paste the forum cod those sites generate into the post.)
I don't know what webshots are. And I don't see anything in photobucket that starts with http://and at the end type in[/img]
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:00 AM »

Mike: what is the photobucket folder?   
I right click on the picture itself and choose "copy image URL" from the menu that pops up.
Then i paste that url in between the img tags in the thread.

Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:04 AM »

Here is the process I just used to create this post:
1) I prefer Picasa for photo management on my local computer. I used its Export function to resize an image suitable for web posting (e.g., < 100 KB).
2) Uploaded that smaller image to my Dropbox Public folder (2GB Free)
2) Right-clicked the file on Dropbox to get the public link (chose the Tiny URL)
3) Clicked the image icon above to get the HTML and pasted the link between the IMG commands
4) Inserted the actual Dropbox link below the image so that you can see what it looks like.

I had previously been uploading attachments to the Forum; but, as Ca Ike points out, this is a better method:
  • It uses less server space
  • The images won't be deleted after several months
  • No limit to the number of pictures within a single post (attachments <= 3)

Ken
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:55 AM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:29 AM »

I too use Picasaweb... but have always just right clicked on the image and selected "copy image address" and pasted it between the img][/img brackets... works like a charm when I keep my picasa albums on a seperate tab.

mikeb

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:31 AM »

No matter what folder I look at pictures in my photobucket none of my pictures have a dropdown that says "copy image url" mine say,
Email & IM
Direct link
HTML code
IMG code

And I don't see any img tags to put them in between in the thread/post reply anywhere.
vigli

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:40 AM »

OK we can resized photo.... I do that on photoshop
But I see some photos from other members on this fourum are more then 100MB but I also can't put more then 100MB?
thx
red sweater

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:48 AM »

No matter what folder I look at pictures in my photobucket none of my pictures have a dropdown that says "copy image url" mine say,
Email & IM
Direct link
HTML code
IMG code

And I don't see any img tags to put them in between in the thread/post reply anywhere.

I don't use photobucket, but I'm pretty sure "IMG code" is exactly what you're looking for. If it is, it should give you the img tags, too, but you can find them directly under the "bold" button when typing up a post.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ken Bour

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:54 AM »

@MikeB:

When you are creating a post, you should see a line of smileys above the text window. Immediately above that row are 5 icons. The leftmost icon is for inserting images, next to it is for hyperlinks.

Click on the image icon and it will add some HTML like this in your text window: {IMG}{/IMG} (Note that I used ellipses instead of brackets). Once you have the weblink to your picture (see below), paste it between the tags. The first command {IMG} turns the feature ON and the second one {/IMG} turns it OFF.

Now, concerning the weblink to your image(s), it looks like "Direct Link" will do the job from Photobucket. Try it and see if it works. If not, post your results and we'll keep trying to help.

Ken

P.S. Your Photobucket folder must have permission for GWTW to access it. In other words, it must be publicly accessible (shared) and not protected.

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
mikeb

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:00 AM »

Email & IM
Direct link
HTML code
IMG code

I don't use photobucket, but I'm pretty sure "IMG code" is exactly what you're looking for. If it is, it should give you the img tags, too, but you can find them directly under the "bold" button when typing up a post.
AHH!! A button between bold and smiley, insert image! I found it!

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:03 AM »

i do not bother resizing since i am hosting the picture somewhere else....
Here are some screen shots of how i do this:
upload the picture into Picasa online folders via picasa software....you can do this with any of the pictures hosting sites...

Right click on the image itself.....this is what i see....i then choose the "Copy Image URL" option.

Come to the forum and hit the "Reply" button....you come to this exact place.

The red arrow is pointing to the "insert image" tags.

That will then pop in the [img][/img] tags that you need.

Then your CURSOR actually appears between the tags.....hit paste and the image's direct url should appear.

Now.....click the PREVIEW button to see if it worked....

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:08 AM »

mike: this one is purty!

mikeb

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:15 AM »

mike: this one is purty!

I have one in lime that's as nice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography