GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 07:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun in Lincoln City  (Read 725 times)
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 27, 2012, 02:26 AM »

iQuad (Bohemian Rhapsody) - 2012 Lincoln City Summer Festival

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39 AM »

You guys are too good.  Wink

That's a great routine. And so much fun to watch.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ken Bour

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:40 AM »

That was a magnificent display of intricate aerobatic choreography and incredible precision flying.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching it to the last maneuver - clever! Grin

The skill level it must require for 6 individuals to control quads that tightly is hard to imagine as I struggle mightily with just two lines! Huh

I do have one question having never witnessed such a program. How do the lines not get all crossed and tangled? Is that something that has to be considered in the choreography?

Truly amazing - thanks for posting!

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
red sweater

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:54 AM »

How do the lines not get all crossed and tangled? Is that something that has to be considered in the choreography?

Indeed. Check out the moves from 2:00 to 2:15. One kite weaves though the line up of the others, alternating over/under. Then, the ones it went under fly up, and the ones it went over fly down, and it comes back through the middle. That is undoing the weaving.

I don't team fly, so I didn't catch how all the moves undo themselves like that. I imagine they sometimes stack maneuvers before undoing the tangle, instead of untangling immediately like in the example I pointed out.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Kitelife

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Y'all got it... The routine is created to wind and unwind, both as a team and individually.

We can carry or keep twists up to a point, but the big ones must be undone. Smiley

It's easier than it looks - believe me, we can train almost anyone with basic skills to get through a routine like this over the course of a weekend... Might be perfect, but it's totally doable!

For comparison against our Bohemian routine (2012)...

Our "old stand by" (2007 onward) performance, totally making up the routine as we go along - I just call off the moves and timing as I feel it, then my team responds on the fly - never flown the same way twice:
720p.mov

Our 2010 routine, first fully choreographed routine for iQuad:
iQuad @ 2012 Lincoln City Summer Festival

(hoping YouTube doesn't cut this one for soundtrack reasons)

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Ken Bour

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:20 PM »

It's easier than it looks - believe me, we can train almost anyone with basic skills to get through a routine like this over the course of a weekend... Might be perfect, but it's totally doable!

Hmmm... Definition of "basic skills": Can administer a colonoscopy to a seagull from 100' without soiling the kite!

Allow me to explain...  On 3 June 2012, I made it a point to visit the "Wings Over Washington" club which flies on the Washington Monument grounds the first Sunday of every month. There was an experienced dual-line pilot who decided to take up quad flying. It was his very first day and, after a few lessons, he was doing respectably well. You might even say that he was acquiring "basic skills." Still, I wouldn't let him give me a colonoscopy! Cry

I have inestimable admiration for those of you on the "dark" side. Wink

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Kitelife

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:58 PM »

Well, basic skills would involve a relatively stable hover in the basic 8 clock orientations, minor speed control, and ability to fly basic shapes like squares and circles... With that established already, we can build up a pilot surprisingly fast. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:35 PM »

boy that is about all six kinds of awesome right there!
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26 PM »

always love watching your video's

John Welden

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 06:50 AM »

That was the best quad team routine ever.  Huh

John you raised the bar.... AGAIN.

I love people that take their skills to insanely high levels!
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 08:01 AM »

That was the best quad team routine ever. 

John you raised the bar.... AGAIN.

I love people that take their skills to insanely high levels!

by  John Welden

He said it all ..... just fantastic !!!   Vertigo

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document