GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 05:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing Icarex kites  (Read 1020 times)
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 29, 2012, 05:31 AM »

I have two kites made of Icarex now. I find rolling them up in the kite sleeves creates a lot of little wrinkles. Minor, but unsightly. Do you guys usually ignore those, or store them mostly assembled (untensioned, of course) to keep the wrinkling to a minimum?

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:13 AM »

I store all of my kites tensioned and full length, in their bags. The wrinkling doesn't bug me, and it wont hurt the kite in my experience.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18 AM »

I store all of my kites tensioned and full length, in their bags. The wrinkling doesn't bug me, and it wont hurt the kite in my experience.

Same here Grin

Adamld13

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:20 AM »

Mind you the leech line doesn't actually tension up until the kite is actually set up.

Hadge

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:22 AM »

I keep mine rolled up, just make sure you don't roll them too tight especially if they have any Mylar panels. I also keep LE's tensioned on my kites with straight LE's, Older kites with curved LE's are better stored untensioned.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 06:29 AM »

At my house Cool
red sweater

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:46 AM »

At my house Cool

If you run out of space, I can spare some over here. Grin

You guys keep the kites tensioned? I thought you weren't supposed to do that.

My 3D sleeve is wide enough that I don't have to roll it up too tight, but the SF barely fits into the sleeve (which is full-length) when it's broken down. I can't transport it with the LEs assembled, unless I lay down the back seat of my car, which is where my kid's child seat is. I assume it would fit the sleeve better (girth-wise) if it weren't broken down. I guess I need a fatter sleeve for it, so I don't need to pack it so tight.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Adamld13

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01 AM »

If your breaking your kites down in half you have to untension them anyway.
Personally I don't like breaking my kites down in half because of the wear it creates in the fold
On the leading edge. Also like I said the leech line may be tensioned when the kite is set up but once you take the standoffs out the tension decreases. Constantly breaking your kites down and fiddling with the tensioning lines is a lot of wear in my opinion.
Plus who wants to muck around with all of that when it's time to fly!!

How are you liking your fox pro ul?

red sweater

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:10 AM »

I had some good flying time with it a couple weeks ago.

I tried again yesterday, and WindAlert called for 10 mph winds, which is pushing the kite's upper range. Thankfully, the wind died down to about 0 by the time I got to the field. Roll Eyes

I've been mainly working on a decent half-axel. The SF takes it slow, at least at the edges, which is good for me right now. I have no complaints, but obviously I'm nowhere near pushing the kite to its limits.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:21 AM »

FW for some reason has been making their sleeves just big enough to fit the kite snugly.  Is a pain really and they probably do it to save a bit of cloth per bag which seems dumb but when your talking hundreds of sleeves, an inch of cloth adds up to a lot of cost savings.  Don't worry about wrinkles, they aren't a big deal.
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09 AM »

yep, the sleeve on my FW Soul is a very tight fit. I don't usually use the heavy duty sleeves that most kites come with but instead make up a light nylon sleeve which is then carried in my main kitebag.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:05 AM »

I don't actually roll the kite up. I fold the two leading edges together. Then fold the spine to the leading edges. I then gather the stand offs and point them toward the nose. I make sure they are free of the fabric. I then lightly bunch up the fabric and slide it into the sleeve nose first.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
coop
Trade Count: (+23)

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 07:31 PM »

I fold mine the same way, but I flighty roll up the sail, but not around the le's and spine.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 12:11 AM »

... and slide it into the sleeve nose first.

Nose First ??  Huh  That's bass ackwards!  Cheesy

Well we haven't done the "Which way to put the kite in the bag" thing in quite awhile. 

Same as most, I don't detension, leading edges and spine together, stand offs and bridle into the folds and lightly roll the fabric up to the spars. I don't break down except on the rare occasion I'm taking them on an airplane or packing a lot of stuff for a trip, but I do drive an SUV or Van and don't have any kids needing the back seat. I seldom (never) leave a kite together when transporting or storing and I can't see the wrinkles at 75 feet anyway.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24 AM »

Nose First ??  Huh  That's bass ackwards!  Cheesy

Amen brother!  Smiley

When I'm put away for the last time, I certainly hope it's feet first!

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document