GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To my Sophist Norm... Thank You !! French Flic Flack (American verison)  (Read 1807 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 29, 2012, 01:45 PM »

I went to the beach yesterday and worked my tail off.  Wind was high, but I still was off.  I watched Norms video and watched the kite action.  Then I was off to Metro Beach.
I was trying for about half hour.  Then as you see it happened.  I was shocked,but it gave me the feel of what I was trying to do.  I also changed the way I hold my straps. Completely ... There also may be another change with some California Finger Straps.  It was a fun joke,but something happen when I changed.  I flet the lnes differently.  I felt like I was able to create the input with more control.   

It got too Hot.  I was whipped.  Temp 94-97 degrees.  Yesterday it hit 100 at the beach.. I spent two hours with zero results.

Now a Side Bar ... Through this I have learned to Fade and maybe close to a JL...

Norm Thanks for your help...with out you kicking my tail I'd probably have another excuse.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Feed Back on improvement ... #1 more slack for second.. 

fff2

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:33 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:12 PM »

around 1:56. Jon and I were telling you for a good bulk of last summer to work on not moving forward when you have your arms pulled back, and the kite is flying downwards. When you throw your hands forward, then move forward and reduce the pressure on the kite. Right now you're still creating more work for yourself, and in those temps (and trust me, I feel 'ya) you don't need it! You're getting better, significantly.  Smiley I'm still jealous of your new WM colors.

Can't wait to fly with you again sometime, even though by the sounds of it it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it back this summer. I'll give you a call sometime when I don't work (every shift I close, so I'll be out at 1:00am your time, so I haven't been able to call 'ya lately). Keep crankin' them out. Again work on NOT moving forward when the kite is moving down wards. That is the moment when you want to power down and pull your arms back to put pressure on the kite, then for the flare throw your arms forward and move forwards as well to reduce pressure when the kite is going into a FLARE, not as it's flying downwards. You finally started doing at the end of last summer with the 540s. This is the same concept! Soooo close, I bet ya you'll have them down in a week with a good success rate, especially with the amount of time you always put in.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:22 PM »

I was powering downward ,it gave me more control and help me reduce the pressure when I through my arms out.  Gonna be awhile before I clean it up.  Norm barely moves... I'll get there next week ... probably need at least 10 more hrs. 

Also I cahnged my hands on my straps.  It helped a lot...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:36 PM »

Fade Studies

See here at 1:11. Martin flies with little movement (to be honest I think it's more effective), but thats more along the lines of what will make the flare to fade a bit easier. The bulk of the movement on the flare, moving forward when the kite is moving to the flare to get as much pressure out of the sail as possible to make the feel look and feel a bit more effortless.

How are you holding them now? If i recall correctly, you were flying with your pinky through the strap and grabbing the rest? I'm not sure if that makes sence, but if thats where you were, try moving to the middle finger and then hold with your thumb and pointer finger too. There are multiple ways to skin a cat haha. Happy practicing!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:41 PM »

I edit a lot out.  I am holding the Fade much better.  When I got frustrated I did a couple 540's to calm me down.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Heck I got over 1000 FFF's to do.  I am also getting close to understanding a Jacob's Ladder.  Holding the Fade was very important.  I will continue to practice that aspect.  The heat beat me up today.  

It feels ssoooooooooooo good when it happens.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I almost changed lenghtof lines today.  How long are your lines Huh

Did you see my hands on the straps Huh

vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48 PM »

I am going to "California Finger Straps" soon.... Grin

Yes,that is the way I fly,with the pinky...  But that is going to change.  You tried to help me with this last year. After changing I was able to feel better.  Now I have changed before... When I did it.  I was able to generate more control and pop..  iof that makes sense.  Huh

We'll know in a few more hours of practice.  It may help when you were trying to teach me to roll it up....

vertigo2u

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:50 PM »

I am so glad we worked on this Norm.  I read the post "how do you do it ?", another student. 

This trick has endless combo possiblities.   I guess Rob don't get No SUL...

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:04 PM »

HOw about we start calling this the fade flac?  Thats basically what your doing is over rotating to the fade (fade to fade) and thats sounds less confusing than FFFAV especially since its the complete opposite of the FFF whitch is the back flip to front flip combo Smiley
vertigo2u

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:01 AM »

The name of the trick is...

The "VERTIGO" ....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Previously known as the  French Flic Flac Fries or American Fries ... The southern states call the same trick Flai Flac Hash Brown Fries ( w/grits version)...

I am just happy to wake up his morning ( after a night of leg cramps).  I woke up and today knowing, I accomplished climbing a mountain.  Norms my Sherpa ...  Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

To me each step I take in becoming a better pilot is what I strive for.  The workout is second best at times.

My butt was tired yesterday........... It should heat 95 degrees. I like to bike on the trails we have.  I can ride for hours in no traffic.  I used to ride 20 miles in about 90 minutes.  Last year... in hot weather.  The trails are amazing.  Smooth, straight away in the country..
Every once on a while I ride too far... e.g 43 miles one day.  The next day I was physically sick.  Felt totally drained.  Then a couple days later back at it...

Yesterday, I felt close to that.. BUt first chance I get today ..I'll be at it again... Grin

Norm,  Looking at he film ..I have to quit with the arms back and running forward stuff. I'll work on that.  It sort of does look like what I use to do when I first learned my 540's.  Now that I see what I am doing. Going to clean this up.  Competition in Cold Water . in July...  I am going to fit in my ballet and freestyle .
Competition is fun.. I  learned something from it last year... Win or lose your with Kite Friends.  Scores are scores.  I saw a Kathy from Fire and Ice go out of bounds last year. she got disqualified.  Didn't mean a thing to her or her Great performance.. She had fun and we enjoyed it...

Gives me an objective and goal...

Anyone want French Flies Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change