GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 09:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Line  (Read 1258 times)
glen871
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 29, 2012, 06:23 PM »

Can I use 90 lb kite line where 100 lb line is recommended or should I just go ahead and order the 100 lb string?   It's for an 8 ft Delta Conyne. 
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:29 PM »

It depends on the wind you're flying in. If youre flying in the lower wind range it should be ok.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:51 PM »

If youre flying in the lower wind range it should.  Be ok

I agree, but you need to ask yourself which costs more the line or the kite

If you have a variety of kites, then when purchasing new line you might want to jump up to 150# of even 200, again depending on the kite(s) or the wind in your area, a hard pulling kite need heaver line than a easy flyer

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Lee S

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:58 PM »

+1 on what Mike said. For an 8 ft DC, I'd go 150# or more, especially if you like flying high. The kite can lift the line, and I prefer to go too heavy if I have a choice.

glen871

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Good points.  Where I fly the winds do get gusty so I should probably go up to 150.   I also like to fly high.  I suppose the 150 lb line will come in handy if I want to get a slightly larger kite as well.  Thanks for all the replies. 
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:34 PM »

150 is my go to line in all but the lightest conditions or a small kite. It's a nice size for hand holding either with or without gloves, smaller line hurts or is hard to get a secure grip on with gloves.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32 PM »

Line test strength is an average for the specific line. Made and placed on huge spools, the line is tested in design phase and then the average "weight" in "breaking" strength is listed. Your specific line may be 10 lbs plus or minus the listed weight (or more). One companies 90 lb  line may be another's 110. That said, I was fly "heavy", I use 150 and 250 most of the time. My Ichian always sits on 250 lb line. Smaller kites I'll move down to 150. I carry some 110 for light air and thats as low as I go, except for some 90 lb line that looks exactly like my 110.
An 8 ft Conyne, 150 for sure.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:52 AM by boomertype » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:50 PM »

I have always said 'line is cheap insurance',  I tend to fly with line a bit heavier than recommended.  The added strength is a good idea and as Mike pointed out it is also easier to handle.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Tmadz

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:50 AM »

He was asking if it was ok to use. On occasion I have used lighter line, but only in the lower wind speeds. I do tend to go safety conscious and buy heavier line than I need. I over engineer everything I DIY. If I don't have the proper line handy, but had something that was close I used it and kept a watchful eye.

Yes line is cheap insurance, especially for a puller like a conyne.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum