GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 11:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YoYo line question(s), seeking answers.  (Read 1621 times)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 19, 2009, 11:26 PM »

This was probably a topic covered in the old forums but hopefully a few of you knowledgeable fellows will lend your experience to this subject once more.

For the first time reader, a yoyo line is the predecessor to today's yoyo stoppers and rollup bars, but serves the same purpose. It's a piece of line running horizontally in front of the kite, connected to both control lines (or leaders) which keeps the lines from separating past a certain point.

On to the questions:

Never having flown a kite with a yoyo line I have a couple questions as to their construction.
Is there a general rule of thumb as to the distance from the kite to place your yoyo line, or is just somewhere on the leader but far out enough to clear the nose good enough?

How wide should the line be? Should it roughly match the width of your tow points, or be wider, or thinner?

Lastly as to purpose, why did the yoyo line fall out of favor? Do yoyo stoppers work better? Are there downsides to the yoyo line?

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated by me and i'm sure future readers as well. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Fdeli
Datenland
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:28 PM »

Yoyo lines weren't really the predecessor of the yoyo stoppers, just something people tried as an alternative. Kitehouse put them on the Endorphin, from my knowledge the only kite that came with yoyo lines from a kite firm. They even tried multi yoyo ladders from what I remember. Three lines connecting the leader lines in a regular distance.
I tried yoyo lines out on some kites, the advantage of never missing the stoppers seemed attractive. The drawbacks where that they could get into the way in some tricks and they only allowed a single yoyo (I never tried the ladder, too much hassle after my experiences with the single line).
What you figured out yourself is a good starting point, take the distance of the towpoints, but leave some room to make them wider if necessary. The length is easily determined, roll the kite into it's leader lines like you would in the air, where they touch the leading edge coming up again on the back of the sail should be a good starting point. Again, use some kind of sliding knot to be able to twiddle the position a bit.
I really prefer the conventional solution with the stoppers, perhaps with some extra cable-tie emergency stoppers further down the leading edge.
Happy experimenting, Erik
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08 PM »

Just as information the Robertshaw Fury came with YoYo lines, may still.
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 01:03 AM »

What you figured out yourself is a good starting point, take the distance of the towpoints, but leave some room to make them wider if necessary. The length is easily determined, roll the kite into it's leader lines like you would in the air, where they touch the leading edge coming up again on the back of the sail should be a good starting point.

As Erik said but as a rule of thumb, measure to a point 2/5 down the LE from the nose and where your leader line touches that point is where to put the knot.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:00 PM »

thanks guys for your input so far.

my curiosity had grown from the fact i was graciously loaned a kite which would rollup quite easily but hadn't any means to control the lines. therefor i was looking for a temporary solution, something to use without permanent modification of the kite, as i'm not the owner.

sounds as though a bit of experimentation is necessary to figure out what's right for each kite.

Fdeli
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:38 PM »

Isn't that true for every sport kite. Part of the fun of this sport.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum