GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 03:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero-G gliding at Lake Almanor  (Read 1073 times)
gliderdude
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 01, 2012, 06:12 PM »

I recently had a chance to fly my new Prism Zero-G at the shoreline of Lake Almanor (on private property). The wind was 0-1 mph. Not the best video quality, but it shows some good, long glides.
Prism Zero-G Kite at Lake Almanor

"If flying were the language of men, soaring would be it's poetry."
Ken Bour

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58 AM »

Nice glides, but what were you stepping in at the start of the clip? Shocked

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:30 AM »

probably stepping on the line.....happens...

Looks like the Zero G is a bit more nose heavy than the original Plutz 3.....looks great!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
gliderdude

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48 AM »

It could have been goose poop, 'cuz that's where they hang out... but it was only my line I was tangled in. Don't know a zero-wind flyer who doesn't get tangled in their line every time they fly. I had a single glide (hands free) that was over 30 seconds, but no video. The kite did a figure 8 twice (weather-vaning into the 1 mph 'stiff wind' and then falling off the wind). I just stood there, speechless.

John Welden

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47 AM »

Great video.

It's the most fun single line kite I've ever flown. The glide characteristics are nuts.  You can get flat spins out of it too. 
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:51 PM »

i can't seem to get to grips with mine...  thought about selling it, but seems like I need to try again after watching video...
John Welden

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:16 AM »

i can't seem to get to grips with mine...  thought about selling it, but seems like I need to try again after watching video...

Make sure you put it together correctly. If it's acting weird, something is probably twisted or whatever.
gliderdude

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Probably the most frustrating thing about the Zero-G is launching it. DO NOT try to launch from the ground. SOFTLY launch the kite away from you... let it glide... add a little friction to the line & it will come around. Pull it into the air overhead & let it glide away. As long as the line is off axis to the kite's glide, the air drag on the line will start to pull the Zero-G around in a wide turn (if you release the line at this point after you have 40-60 ft out, it may make a full circle around you & come directly to you... great satisfaction. Be patient; once you get it right (including tuning the kite) you'll fly the darn thing 'til the sun goes down (if there's no wind). I get the best conditions early in the morning before 8 am; haven't had the pleasure of flying it indoors yet.

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 01:13 PM »

. . . launch the kite away from you... let it glide... add a little friction to the line & it will come around.
From my experience this should be down wind.
Launching into the wind will make it rise and not glide away.
gliderdude

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 02:19 PM »

You are correct, sir! Thanks for the additional beginner info. Anything that gets new zero-wind fliers up-and-flying is a plus.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum