GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 04:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salt water on lines...  (Read 746 times)
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: July 03, 2012, 10:27 AM »

So during my trip to the beach my daughters friend put her kite in the drink. I had my spectra lines attached as I was done flying. So the first 10'or so got wet in salt water.

I rinsed the kites off, but did nothing with the lines other than let them dry loose...

Sunday I went out for an outing back here in texas on a humid day.
My lines did not seem very slippery. A couple times I got tip wrapped and when it used to just slide right off, it was stuck on there but good.

Opinion: is there some residue from the salt water on my lines?
Should I do something like put in fresh water and let dry?

P.s. the kites were brought back, all we unrolled for a couple days, but the sails all seemed to be sticking together. I figure that was from being rolled up in a humid environment for so long.

Thanks
Kirb
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:15 AM »

I have noticed that, especially here in the northwest, the sand on the beach is so fine and silty that it will very quickly bind to lines and make them sticky.  If it's dry this is usually not an issue, but any moisture and it sticks like glue.

I just wind them, let dry, and then hit it with some silicone spray and it brings it back.   If you spray it on the winder soaking it well and then unwind the lines and then fly them dry I think you will see a dramatic difference.  If it is particularly bad, I will wipe them with a paper towel sprayed with the stuff.

-Tom

6 kite tom
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Salt Water??
WASH WASH WASH and let DRY DRY DRRRRYYYY at room temperature, in the garage or a dry place overnight or till you remember you left your kite for drying Smiley
Salt crystals will definitely be formed when the salt water dried and thus sticking the lines when moist again.
I live on an Island and always wash my lines with fresh water after even if they did not take the plunge.
I brush the kites for sand residues which can and will affect the sail with time.

Now you can wash the lines with warm water and some dish washer liquid (or washing machine for the perfume lol).
Spray some silicone on it to regain the slickness it lost but a clean line set will be slippery after a good wash if it has not worn at some places.

B

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29 PM »

could be sand...could be salt........

rinse rinse rinse...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kepople

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 02:12 PM »

I bought some spray but it's oil based.

Can anyone tell me a brand name or where I can order some water based silicon spray?
Thnx
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 05:59 PM »

fairly certain water and silly-cone dont mix there have been discussions on what type to use.somebody came up with a food grade product. but I dont plan on eating my lines anyway. I have used liquid wrench brand with no stickiness or unwanted residue. I now just replace my lines once in awhile. I think getting 20 wraps is overrated anyway
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 06:05 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Dunk my Rev in the ocean and the lines are always fine....
CV

kepople

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:48 PM »

you see several non petroleum based silicon pump sprays for treadmills. 

I saw several at lowes that were drop application instead of spray.

Tell you what though... don't do a search for water based lubricants unless you are over 18.... :-)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:44 PM »

RC car shock & differential oils/greases are pure silicon as is DOT 5 automotive brake fluid. Much cheaper then the treadmill oils, 2 oz of RC Differential oil is under $4 or 12 oz of DOT 5 brake fluid under $10. Spray cans of silicon have a volatile solvent/carrier to thin the lubricant and only contain around 12% silicon, I don't know if the pump spayers contain any solvents.

I just had to find an alternative for the treadmill oils, the only one available here was $20 for a 2 month supply. Rhonda's treadmill is working great now, she hadn't really believed she was walking 12 mph before but now she can't keep up with it at 2 mph.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:46 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document