GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 03:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Standoff-Skynasaur Trooper  (Read 652 times)
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 29, 2012, 09:23 AM »

I went out to fly this morning in nice light winds for a change; however, I had another mishap with the Skynasaur Trooper. One standoff separated completely from the sail edge and, after looking all over the field, I never found the part.

I tried researching standoff & connector repairs in the forum. It sounds like Jaco connectors are highly rated, but I am not sure if they will work for this kite. I took two pics that I hope will help in figuring out the options. 

Image1 shows one standoff still connected and the reverse side of sail connection to the other that broke apart. After I took the first pic, I gently tugged on the other standoff and it peeled right off, so it was another disaster waiting to happen. Image2 shows the separated standoff and both sides of the connection to the sail.

The diameter of the metal hole is 3/16" and the standoff itself is approx. 11" long.

Can you recommend how I proceed from here?

Thanks, Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13 AM »

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=29
go here and grab the one that will accept the standoff material size....
personally i like the prism style the best....

using a pair of pliers/tweezers etc remove the metal grommet from the sail..it is no longer needed...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ken Bour

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:34 PM »

Thanks, Thief.

Steve (GWTW Kites) just called to get a better understanding of the problem (now that's service!). After our chat, he is recommending the more universal screw type sail standoff connector (http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=406). He will also build me new 11" standoffs (.10").

It turns out that the pics are deceiving. There are no metal grommets around the holes - fabric only. On closer inspection, what looks like grommets is just indenting from whatever was there when the standoffs were connected.

Ken

Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:03 PM »

Steve (GWTW Kites) just called to get a better understanding of the problem (now that's service!). After our chat, he is recommending the more universal screw type sail standoff connector

Very nice connectors. My favorite!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 05:57 PM »

THey used grommets on some of their kites to hold the standoff to the sail. and they do fail when the sail clothe gets some age to it.
Ken Bour

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:12 AM »

Final Report:

The new standoffs Steve (GWTW Kites) made for me arrived yesterday and fit the kite perfectly. The universal sail connector size was just right for the existing holes and, once the screws were tightened, it looks like they were original equipment.

Once again, Steve came through for me...

Now I just need some wind to take her out for test drive.  Wink

Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document