GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 02:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: superflybychrisgoff  (Read 2808 times)
jecko
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 07, 2012, 06:46 PM »

Finally in sunny Singapore...

harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:08 AM »

As you are one of the blessed few could you let us all know what you think of this ? Thanks
ghfisanotti

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:01 PM »

So, what's your opinion? was it worth the wait?
jecko

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Hey guys,

I will post a review as soon as I have a couple more hours with it.  Wink

by end of the week hopefully the weather and winds cooperate.

ian.
jecko

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Ok, finally had some time with the Superfly in smooth winds coming in from the coast. Here's a quick review.

BUILD

Kite is frame in mixture of skyshark P200 and 5pt.
Nose is sewn nice & clean .
Yoyo stoppers are round rubber (ala Kitehouse) held together by cable ties. I think its APA stand off connectors cut off. Works fine anyway catches the line nicely, so no issue there.
Leading edge (dacron)is good so far no snag whatsoever.
Bridle is 3point with keeper and leaders included. You need to knot yourself some pigtail for adjustment on the upper outhaul.
Connectors and bridle are held by c-clips to stop them from shifting, but I would rather have rubber O-rings. Never like C-clips caus I kept loosing them i time.;-)
Centre Sail reinforcement (dacron) with long vertical slit( looks obscene) for the adjustable centre -T .
Overall sewing is acceptable but definitely theres room for improvement. Mine has  a small glitch , the sail right next to centre-T kind of loose as compare to the other side.
leading edge are tension with 2x thick rubber bands through a hole punch in the leading edge. Would be nice if there's reinforcement there. skeptical about the hole could withstand the constant tension cause I don't usually breakdown my kite.

verdict: With Chris having work KRD, I was expecting a nice package much like how the Fury comes in, nice bag with manual but what I got was minimal to say the least. not even a strap for the roll up kite. :-(
My Widowmaker and Talon still tops in sewing and build wise.
A technical support page would be nice in his website like Benson or JOEs, in mine opinion.

FLIGHT

Here's where it gets interesting. Do note that these are based on my limited skills.
I've been flying the Alphakites TNT mostly these days, so my expectation for a kite made by a world champ is high.Well, it does surprise me both good and bad.
In dirty/bumpy/gusty winds the kite is painful to fly, in short frustating ... it collapse, loses it drive. Huh
In smooth constant winds thats when the kite comes into life..  Tongue
All tricks are in the there. I does what i can do, very well  plus some that I've been struggling on other kites. Taz cascade easily accessible but do  keep the nose higher before the input for the rotation.
I like how the kite make the transition from tricks to tricks at ease. 
It's also like to settle in turtle, but not so deep to give you any problem.A lazy rotation should get you out or you could do some cyniques before exit .. easily done on this kite. Wink
It does have a little oversteer but not as much as say the Toxic or NSE 15. so sideslide not a problem.
Precision wise I would prefer my TNT, but hey this a freestlye kite...so not a problem for me.
In lighter winds  might need some adjustment on the bridle but I flew straight out of the bag. I'm waiting for Chris reply on tips and adjustment before I try any adjustment on the kite.

Verdict:

For those  who fly in dirty inland winds, your in for a dissapointment.
For those flying in nice smooth coastal winds, you're in for some great freestyle time.
So is it worth the long wait.? Build/package No. Flight/Trick capabilities a definite YES!!!
For me its a keeper for  now unless a better one comes along, I could atleast enjoy it for about half a year when I get smooth coastal winds.

Cheers,
ian

Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02 AM »

Thanks for this review, Ian!

Krijn
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:22 AM »

Cheers.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:29 AM »

Keepin' it real. Thanks Jecko Wink

Mine should be in transit now..

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Seaslug

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:24 AM »

Thanks for the review jecko. Flew Chris's the other day at Brighton K.F here in the uk in very bad inland wind, far from dissapointing Smiley

Dave.
ghfisanotti

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:57 AM »

Nice review, Jecko. Thanks for it.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:53 PM »

leading edge are tension with 2x thick rubber bands through a hole punch in the leading edge. Would be nice if there's reinforcement there. skeptical about the hole could withstand the constant tension cause I don't usually breakdown my kite.

This is classic Brit designed sport kites....look at the Psycho/stranger/sandpiper series/AzizA etc...they all had leading edge tension derived this way.....always worked great...i have never had any problem over the years....
as long as the hole is hot cut i am certain that it is stronger than the rubber is......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
PAW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:29 PM »

The small review I have made quite a while ago:
http://www.drachenforum.net/forum/SuperFly-Chris-Goff-t69799.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:18 PM by PAW » Logged
sluggo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 05:08 PM »

The small review I have made quite a while ago:
http://www.drachenforum.net/forum/SuperFly-Chris-Goff-t69799.html

Direct link to an English translation: http://bit.ly/P3D0eB
jecko

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Thanks for the review jecko. Flew Chris's the other day at Brighton K.F here in the uk in very bad inland wind, far from dissapointing Smiley

Interesting, Dave.
Would love to know what set up Chris did for that, cause mine just dont want to fly in dirty winds.
jecko

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 06:08 PM »

Keepin' it real. Thanks Jecko Wink

Mine should be in transit now..

-Darryl

I think you could give a better extensive review, Darryl,

In transit.... sweet!!!!

Had a face off with Aleb's NSE 15 yesterday.. psst ..  I prefer the Superfly.. hehe. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document