GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 03:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postman Rant  (Read 1757 times)
Rx8doc
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 14, 2012, 12:42 PM »

So Doug C. sent me a couple of nocks in the mail (he is still my hero, nuff said). It came in a regular envelope weighed under an ounce. It was sent with a regular stamp. The letter shows up looking like it had been through Vietnam twice (yes I am old). But the rant is...... The mail man HANDWRITES....postage due $1.50.... paid by mailman and a happy face. Wow now I am tipping my mailman? He can write postage due and an amount and I am supposed to pay it?Huh??
Kind of like going to a bar, sitting down and a waitress shows up and hands you a bar bill for $50.00. (Don't laugh it has happened to me). I am looking at her and asking "is this what you want me to drink?", "am I prepaying?" Guess my evil twin must have ran out on his tab (poor fellow needs money for plastic surgery).

Ok I feel vented now (not fully vented maybe just a half vent) Cheesy
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:34 PM »

Personally, I would go to the USPS web site and calculate the cost yourself using the actual weight and size of the envelope, then you can take it from there. Remember the nocks have thickness to them that may have triggered the postage due. Or he's pulling a fast one on you.
Rx8doc

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:53 PM »

checked site it was within the single stamp rate. Postman pulling fast one
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:58 PM »

First class letters ship for 45.  If the envelope is over 1/4 inch thick or has an uneven surface it is considered non-machinable and would then be considered a "package". The postage for a 1 ounce package is $1.95. 
I'm thinking the postman was correct.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:03 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Rx8doc

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:32 PM »

Ok now I feel bad. Putting money for mailman in mailbox to make it right. I retract my previous rant and go stand in a corner.
moonie nocks are 1/4" so I am wrong then.
My apologies to any mail carrier in the room.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:59 PM »

Yeah the first class stamp only works if the envelope is completely flat and can go through the processing machines.......otherwise a first class package is up to 13 oz and is 1.95$........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:00 AM »

i dont like the usps , but its  the cheapest way to ship stuff , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:42 AM »

You can deduct the $1.50 from the cost of the nocks.  Wink Cheesy

Flight Log

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Rx8doc

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33 AM »

Naaa I will just ship Mickey in a smaller box Smiley

Thanks again for the Nocks Doug your still my hero.(nuff said)
You would think after being married I should know I can not win a rant.
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45 AM »

You mentioned that the post man wrote postage due, but you never mentioned if he attached and cancelled the extra stamps on this envelope. If he didn't that's a whole new ball game.
Rx8doc

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51 AM »

no canceled stamps just handwritten by postman messages
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:40 AM »

I guess the first question you want to ask yourself is whether a guy with a decent paying job is likely to risk losing his salary and benefits to shake you down for a $1.50?

Doesn't really pass the sniff test, does it?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:03 PM »

You mentioned that the post man wrote postage due, but you never mentioned if he attached and cancelled the extra stamps on this envelope. If he didn't that's a whole new ball game.
That is the choice of the post office that accepted this in the first place....they could have kicked it back to Doug to start with...

The delivering postman is just that....delivering..he has no say on it by the time it gets to him....and it is not like he is putting the $ in his pocket (at least i would guess that he is not)....

i grew up in farm country in NH and remember when you could leave change in the mailbox (or even tape the coins to the envelope) and a envelope with no stamp and be able to "buy" the stamp from the post man picking it up....i have not heard of that in a while though....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Rx8doc

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Ok to finalize this rant
1. Doug is amazing and generous and my hero  Grin
2. I paid the $1.50 in the mailbox he works hard and it would be a small tip anyway
3. It felt wrong but in the end I have my nocks (thanks again Doug C.)
4. The postman can do what he pleases cause I tip more for a beer than that.
5. USPS is still the cheapest way to send anything

Thanks for all the msgs I am sure I will come up with some other stupid rant to set the forum ablaze Cool
rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 11:09 AM »

"....they could have kicked it back to Doug to start with..."

Yep, the postman did you a favor. I think you eventually realized that...many people don't.
As I understand it we have the best (not perfect) postal system in the world.
 We often have things much better than we realize...still not perfect...just better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography