GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 11:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unintentional Flying TENTS?!  (Read 2216 times)
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 10, 2012, 09:18 AM »

Although certainly no FUN for those affected, this calamity may give some of you inventive kite makers an idea or two...

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30 AM »

I'm sorry for laughing, I know someone could've gotten seriously hurt (hopefully not) by one of those tent poles. That adult insight aside...    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

RonG
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:42 AM »

Nothing new there. Ari Contzius flew a quadlined 2-man tent in Hot Tricks about 10 years ago.
red sweater

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47 AM »

...do people not stake their tents down?  Huh

That is hilarious.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
John Welden

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:57 AM »

Nothing new there. Ari Contzius flew a quadlined 2-man tent in Hot Tricks about 10 years ago.

What ever happened to Ari? You guys were a great team.
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37 AM »

What amazes me is how the thing went in a big circle, like it was caught in a slow tornado!

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:24 PM »

...do people not stake their tents down?  Huh

That is hilarious.

Some yes, some no.

A lot of the newer tents are free standing and deceptively stable when there is little or no wind and you have a minimal amount of gear inside.

That said,  a lot of tents come with flimsy tent stakes:

They are alright, but not up to the task of sustained winds.

A couple of years ago, I got a new Tri-Awning and had it set up a a local festival with the OEM stakes.

The winds had been moderate to low most of the day, but towards the end of the event the winds started picking up. If you think a normal tent has lift, a single skin shelter, with lots of surface area, low weight, and minimal framing (3 intersecting spars) is considerably more air-worthy.

Someone asked me if the flailing shelter was mine, and I turned just in time to see the last stake come out of the ground, and the awning tubmled once and started doing its Toto impression.

I have since set aside some HQ stakes for use with the shelters and they have been much more stable (although anything will let go depending on how much wind). 

HQ_Stake by indigo_wolf, on Flickr

Your best bet is to catch it before the wind gets too bad and release two of the spars to flatten it out of the wind.

ATB,
Sam
RonG
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:26 PM »

What ever happened to Ari? You guys were a great team.

Marriage and now a baby. It happens....  Wink
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 01:01 PM »

As someone who is a regular user of easy-ups canopies we use straps around the top interior of the canopy anchored to tool boxes or the trailer
Others feel the need to use stakes like the ones posted above on the bottom of the legs through the tabs, even sometimes anchored in concrete. The tabs at the bottom of the legs snap off leaving a the canopy to 'lift off' and go tumbling usually making them twisted junk.

Sine Metu!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 01:59 PM »

After camping for years and with the with the boy scouts we've never had something like that happen. I always use the guylines on my tent and on my canopy I use a 15 inch stake driven through the canopy foot and tie down the canopy top with rope/paracord and a tautline hitch. Never had it move, even in 45mpg gusts at the top of a small mountain.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:53 PM »

There was a terrific picture of a tent Matt McGee (I think) bridled and flew as a single line.

Can't find it.. as usual.. Sad
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:30 AM »

Whatza PRUB?

How about intentional flying of PRUBs?  Grin

clickable thumbnails

It was Paul Horner's idea and he still has those pigtails on his PRUB from the day we flew it.
It flew OK, but wasn't too good with dive stops.  Wink

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 08:34 AM »

Whatza PRUB?

How about intentional flying of PRUBs?  Grin
It was Paul Horner's idea and he still has those pigtails on his PRUB from the day we flew it.
It flew OK, but wasn't too good with dive stops.  Wink
Prism
Roll
Up
Bag

This was the big one......the PRU-speed Bag would be the heavy wind model...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Flying a Tent as a Kite
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51 PM »

I have that tent. Attached the lines to the corners for the poles and footprint. I'll have to try that. But I don't want to break the poles. Darn expensive to replace.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document