GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 09:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stacking Premier Visions  (Read 1263 times)
rob103
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 11, 2012, 08:14 PM »

Hi all!
I recently purchased 5 premier vision kites, and would like to fly them as a stack. my question is 4 lines or 5, and does 31 inches seem about right? they measure 63 inches wingtip to wingtip.

thanks for your advice,
rob
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:30 PM »

I can measure mine when I get the change. I'm working and going on vacation soon, but I'll try my best.
5 lines, one for each fitting, and the center T.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35 PM »

YOu will need 4 sets of 5 stack lines.  31 inches will work fine. The rule of thumb for delta stacks link lines is 2/3 the length of the leading edge. I have mine set up with 28 inch links and Mike has a stack with 42 inch links so anything in that range works.  Just make the last set lower outside links 1-2 inches shorter than the rest.

Heres my 6 pack of visions.

me n the stack by Ca Ike, on Flickr

IMG_0107 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

https://vimeo.com/35674754
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:41 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:52 AM »

Just make the last set lower outside links 1-2 inches shorter than the rest.

I've never made/flown a stack before, and I'd not heard this. What's the reason?

Is there a good how-to/FAQ for stacking you'd recommend?

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:04 AM »

I've never made/flown a stack before, and I'd not heard this. What's the reason?

You need to read this and then call Steve!  Run to the phone!  Most fun you'll ever have. Draws a crowd, and yes, Chicks dig stacks. "is that a stack in that bag or are you just glad to see me?"
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=444
red sweater

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:19 AM »

You need to read this and then call Steve!  Run to the phone!  Most fun you'll ever have. Draws a crowd, and yes, Chicks dig stacks. "is that a stack in that bag or are you just glad to see me?"

Probably someday, but not today. I've already spent >$500 on kites this summer, that's well over what I should be spending. Wink

I was thinking of progressive stacking the ITW DCs. I own the smallest, and I could add to it one-at-a-time. (Well, there are only two more sizes. It would finally be a 3 stack.) But dualie deltas do look more fun. I'm looking now at possibly piecemealing a Nexus stack together, two or three at first, and add the rest later -- but the available colors for single kites are different? And I'm sure buying the stack you linked saves a little money. It's not a small investment, though.

I think I'd be more likely to get the Micron stack, but it's noticeably smaller -- and chicks don't get drawn to small stacks, am I right? Wink
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:22 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
Rev EXP
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:18 AM »

chicks love any stack. Size doesnt matter Cheesy
One of the nice things about factory stack is the triangle bag. Pull out the kites, put the standoffs in place, spread the kites out, attach lines and go.
I have a 5 stack of adrenalines( with 3 more waiting to be added) and a micros stack. They are alot of fun!

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:24 AM »

Besides the savings over purchasing the kites separately you get that sweet triangular bag so you don't have to break the kites completely down or disconnect the stack lines. Just pop out the stand offs., or in when you setup. And in the Nexus's case you get the tails as an addition, Microns do come with a tail in the singles. Worth saving for so you can pop for the pre-pack stack if you're interested.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
red sweater

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that bag issue, too.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03 AM »

Not having a stack bag right away isn't really an issue.  You can use the velcro roll up ties in the LE cutouts to hold the stack assembled for storage/transport and make a bag like I did out of the single kite bags.
red sweater

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11 AM »

Well, consider this thread officially hijacked.  Tongue

Getting back to the "how," can I reiterate the question about why the last kite has a different angle of attack? And this is for all (dual line?) stacks?

My bag:
Rev EXP
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:49 PM »

Probably someday, but not today. I've already spent >$500 on kites this summer, that's well over what I should be spending. Wink

Thats it??? jeez..i am about triple that....wait no more than 3x....and have made a few things this year so far as well Wink

Let your addiction sweep you away.....it is fun Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Getting back to the "how," can I reiterate the question about why the last kite has a different angle of attack? And this is for all (dual line?) stacks?

That will help the last kite pull a little more and anchor the stack better as a stack instead of a wiggly mess....
The Dynakites that i used to fly stacked were fun...you could get the stack to fan out sideways like a handful of cards....always fun if you had a stack of 12 or more since your stack went form 3' wide to about 40 wide to one side....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00 PM »

You have to adjust the back kite to keep it tracking well with the rest of the stack.  OFten times the back kite will have too much drive and wobble badly causing the stack to mis behave.  THe other thing you need to do is make sure ALL the stack lines are EXACTLY the same length or you will have issues
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06 PM »

+1 to what's been said, don't ask how I know.  Cheesy  I think there's still video out there on YouTube of my Laser 9-stack flailing about when all the stack lines were off.  I found the top lines had stretched over time and were 1-2" longer on each kite.  Over the length of the stack that added up to a 7-8" difference at the back kite.  Sure it pulled like crazy but it wasn't very pretty and near impossible to fly.  I replaced the old dacron lines with Nexus stack lines.

I think mine are about 40-42" apart like Anthony said, counting the pigtails.

-Mike
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:09 PM by Smeagol » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change