GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lighted arrow nocks  (Read 1971 times)
Rx8doc
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 12, 2012, 11:37 AM »

has anyone used these for night flying?
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/archery/arrow-accessories/new-lazer-eye-lighted-nocks
Guess I would have to rebalance for the added weight.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39 AM »

someone had posted about them a bit ago..not certain what ever happened though..
hmm..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51 AM »

has anyone used these for night flying?
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/archery/arrow-accessories/new-lazer-eye-lighted-nocks
Guess I would have to rebalance for the added weight.

"Weighing in at only 18.5 grains, the Lazer Eye nock is only 8 grains heavier than the standard Carbon Express nock..."

8 grains is the stated increase over carbon (arrow) nocks. I don't know what kite nocks tend to weigh (are they carbon, or just plastic?), but:
8 grains = 0.51839128 grams, per Google.
18.5 grains (total nock weight) = 1.19877984 grams

I think you're okay with an extra paperclip's worth of weight on the kite. If not, I'd be more worried about all the running around you're doing in the dark to keep the kite up.  Wink

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:45 PM »

many arrow nocks utilize metal inserts.  so the 8 grains added may be referring to a nock that weighs more than your standard plastic wingtip. 
red sweater

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:03 PM »

many arrow nocks utilize metal inserts.  so the 8 grains added may be referring to a nock that weighs more than your standard plastic wingtip. 

Fair enough, but a total weight of 18.5 grains per nock isn't going to pull a kite out of the sky.

My bag:
Rev EXP
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10 PM »

The Lazer Eye is activated upon release of the arrow, when the bow string compresses forward upon the arrow

I suppose a good tip stab would get them shining?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
red sweater

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:28 PM »

The Lazer Eye is activated upon release of the arrow, when the bow string compresses forward upon the arrow

I suppose a good tip stab would get them shining?

I think any compression on them will light them up. Pulling back on the nock is supposed to turn it off. So, they'd be always on for a kite, as long as the LE is tensioned, right?

My bag:
Rev EXP
Rx8doc
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:29 PM »

or in my case a good lawn dart
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:50 PM »

or in my case a good lawn dart

I'm better at those too ,,, we need something designed to go on the nose   Cheesy

I think any compression on them will light them up. Pulling back on the nock is supposed to turn it off. So, they'd be always on for a kite, as long as the LE is tensioned, right?

Yeah that appeared to be the process, looks like they have a rubber plug that sticks in the spar and operates a switch when the nock is compressed toward it.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:56 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 04:44 PM »

someone had posted about them a bit ago..not certain what ever happened though..
hmm..

That was lad, in the thread, Ideal, tiny LED for SLKs?.  Interest dropped off a bit when it became apparent that the batteries were not replaceable.  So they were basically disposable.  Not sure if the nocks have replaceable batteries or not.

ATB,
Sam
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:09 PM »

The Lumenok consists of the nock, battery pack and two plastic sleeves that encase the battery and put pressure on the shaft to hold the assembly in place. The flat of the nock that contacts the back of the shaft contains two metallic loops that are used to complete the electrical circuit and turn on the LED when both loops contact the arrow shaft. Before the shot the nock must be pulled slightly out of the shaft so that the contacts are not touching the shaft. As the arrow is shot, the force pushes the nock tight against the shaft and engages the connection loops. The Lumenok is the only nock in the test group that is not an indexed nock. While a minor detail, I generally only use indexed nocks so as to not have to constantly look at the fletchings to line nocks up. This test version weighs 30.6 grains and will last up to 40 hours while lit; replacement batteries are available for ~$5.

I think this nock cost @$9. Yes, not all nocks have replaceable batteries.
Based on the speed of current bows, these should survive nose plants.
Untitled

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17 PM »

Can buy a lot of LEDs + cr2032 batteries + cr2032 housing for $9 on ebay then just need some wire.  Tried something like this before, worked best when the lights where taped on to the standoffs pointing up towards the sail.  Can get some blinking LED and wire them in parallel so some stay on while others blink.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:24 PM by Untitled » Logged

TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:13 PM »

There are a bunch of options on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=lighted+nock
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 12:32 AM »

Been a lot of interest in lighted kites lately, my brother in law sent me this link to a "Cool Kite" he found, technically not a kite but it's not about that. Watch the second "How To" video for the simplest lighting technique I've seen. Oh and ignore the balloons too.

250 sq ft GLOWING Super Mario night kite

HOW TO- 250 sq ft. Mario glowing night kite

In short duct tape an LED to a 3 volt button battery, I like simple   Smiley   Cool 

100 x LED's under $5 - 100 x CR2032 3v Lithium button cells under $15

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography