GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 05:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ProDancer-SUL Arrived!  (Read 3823 times)
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 12, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Happily, my new ProDancer-SUL just arrived from SkyBurner. It only comes in a single uniform color, so I chose RED. It is feather light (5 oz.) and, while assembling it for this pic, I can readily see just how fragile it is. Jon included an additional set of standoffs which itself tells me a lot...they must be pretty easy to break. Huh

The winds seem to be suitable for an SUL today (0.0-3.6 MPH; AVG=1.8 acc to my new Windtronic2), so I hope to have time for a maiden dance before sunset. I bought 100' lineset of 50# Skybond, which I plan to use for this kite. Over 5 MPH and it goes back in the bag and out comes the WidowMaker-STD.

Any tips/comments/advice will be welcome and appreciated.

Ken
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:52 AM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10 PM »

it's a SWEET kite with a lot of potential! the stand offs aren't easy to break, sometimes they fall out though, if the glue stops sticking! Enjoy!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:12 PM »

Happily, my new ProDancer-SUL just arrived from SkyBurner.

Any tips/comments/advice will be welcome and appreciated.

Ken

I would be willing to fly the kite for a couple of months to make sure it is flying correctly.    Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
adx1592

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17 PM »

upon looking at the pic again, when you said extra stand offs, are you sure those aren't the wing battons?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ken Bour

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:25 PM »

upon looking at the pic again, when you said extra stand offs, are you sure those aren't the wing battons?

AHHHHH...WING BATTENS!!! Embarrassed

Your post caused me to read the instructions again, more carefully this time, and sure enough, "Some models have battens which we store in the nose of the kite. The ProDancer batten pockets are on the backside of the kite." 

DOH! Roll Eyes

Thanks, Devin!

Ken

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:35 PM »

AHHHHH...WING BATTENS!!! Embarrassed

Your post caused me to read the instructions again, more carefully this time, and sure enough, "Some models have battens which we store in the nose of the kite. The ProDancer batten pockets are on the backside of the kite." 

DOH! Roll Eyes

Thanks, Devin!

Ken

Ken,

Are you sure you don't want me to fly the kite for a couple of months to test it out.   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Your kite is a real beauty. Enjoy

Wayne
Ken Bour

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 05:20 PM »

Thanks, Wayne, very generous offer, but I'll hold on to her for a little while at least! Wink

I did get a chance to fly my new ProDancer-SUL for about an hour and a half late this afternoon. The winds were between 0 and 5, averaging around 2 MPH so, for a few minutes at a time, I was able to keep the kite in the air. I practiced turns, snap stalls (boy, am I lousy at those!), and two touch landings after 1/2 spin and full spin (getting better). I made one attempt at an axel, but it was a total bust, so I pretty much gave up on anything from the "trick" repertoire for this maiden voyage. I'll have to re-watch videos by Devin and Vertigo to see just what capabilities the PD-SUL has under skilled piloting.

The BEST news is that I had FUN and didn't break anything! The full red sail sure did look pretty in the sky... Grin

While I don't doubt that the PD-SUL can be flown in 1 MPH winds, it doesn't seem promising with my current skill set! I found that 2-5 MPH was definitely workable, but once the breeze dropped below 2 MPH, I just worked on gentle landings and then waited for another burst. At 7:30 pm, the winds pretty much died to 0-1 MPH, so I packed her up and headed home.

All in all, not a bad venture on the kite's day of arrival! Smiley

Ken

DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25 PM »

What line weight and length did you use?

Sine Metu!
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32 PM »

Lionelength and weight are important.  Sort of.  You must fly her on #50 line.  I am ,posting tonights video on #50 line 100 feet.  You fly quicker on shorter lines.

DD is absolutly right.. what are your lines..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:47 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
adx1592

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:45 PM »

agreed with joe and dd, 50 lb line is the way to go! I prefer 50lb 75foot skybond for fun flying with the PDSULs

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ken Bour

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:00 PM »

Guys:

As I mentioned in my first post, I am using 50# Skybond and 100' length.

Ken

adx1592

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:04 PM »

check bridle settings. 4th knot down!! never move it off that setting

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ken Bour

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06 PM »

Devin:

I did not change it from the way Jon sent it to me; in fact, I think I read in the instructions that the bridle setting is not adjustable for the PD-SUL.

Ken

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 06:57 AM »

Thanks, Wayne, very generous offer, but I'll hold on to her for a little while at least! Wink

I did get a chance to fly my new ProDancer-SUL for about an hour and a half late this afternoon. The winds were between 0 and 5, averaging around 2 MPH so, for a few minutes at a time, I was able to keep the kite in the air. I practiced turns, snap stalls (boy, am I lousy at those!), and two touch landings after 1/2 spin and full spin (getting better). I made one attempt at an axel, but it was a total bust, so I pretty much gave up on anything from the "trick" repertoire for this maiden voyage. I'll have to re-watch videos by Devin and Vertigo to see just what capabilities the PD-SUL has under skilled piloting.

The BEST news is that I had FUN and didn't break anything! The full red sail sure did look pretty in the sky... Grin

While I don't doubt that the PD-SUL can be flown in 1 MPH winds, it doesn't seem promising with my current skill set! I found that 2-5 MPH was definitely workable, but once the breeze dropped below 2 MPH, I just worked on gentle landings and then waited for another burst. At 7:30 pm, the winds pretty much died to 0-1 MPH, so I packed her up and headed home.

All in all, not a bad venture on the kite's day of arrival! Smiley

Ken

Glad to hear about your 1st flight  Cool

perfect kite to develop your low wind skills.
Ken Bour

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 07:02 AM »

check bridle settings. 4th knot down!! never move it off that setting

I will double-check the settings, but I also wanted to ask about something else. I happened to have some extra vinyl end caps, so I placed one over each nock (3) for protection. Could they be adding enough weight to make a difference in the lightest wind conditions?

Thanks, Ken

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography