GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First quad help  (Read 5179 times)
XZantoth
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 20, 2009, 09:09 PM »

Hey guys!  I'm looking to purchace my first quad line kite.  I'm thinking the New Tech Spirit because its cheaper than the Rev.  Is this a good kite for a quad beginner.  Is there anything this kite can't do?  Any other suggestions?  Any help you can give would be great!

I have a dual-line and love it - never learned slack line tricks or anything.  But after seeing videos of quads, I've got to try it.

Thanks,
Matt
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:48 PM »

I like the Parastunter quad kite by Go Fly a Kite. It's a small air foil quad kite that will do dive stops, propeller spins, reverse flight, tip landings and other rev maneuvers for about $78, and it's unbreakable to boot. It is not as precise as the rev and is kinda squirrely but I can live with that. I use it for a trainer for newbies.  I have 11 revs but I still find myself getting the Parastunter out alot.
I have a video of mine here: 
Parastunter quad kite
Burke
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:13 AM »

Hey Matt,

Let me be the first to welcome you to "The Dark Side". Cheesy

The Spirit is an excellent first quad kite.  It is easier for dualies to transition to four lines with than a Rev.  Eventually you will want to try out a Rev and you will find it flies a little bit differently, but close enough that it will not be a problem to change over.  There are some quad fliers out there that prefer the Spirit.

I started with dualies years ago, but discovered quads and left them behind.  Every once in a while I try to mess with dualies again, but they just do not seem to grab me like quads.  I am going to give them another try this summer, but I am sure my quads will always be my first choice to fly.

Get the Spirit.  If you do not like it, let me know.  I will dig through my kite bag and find something to trade for it.

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
Watty

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:32 AM »

Hey guys!  I'm looking to purchace my first quad line kite.  I'm thinking the New Tech Spirit because its cheaper than the Rev.  Is this a good kite for a quad beginner.  Is there anything this kite can't do?  Any other suggestions?  Any help you can give would be great!

I have a dual-line and love it - never learned slack line tricks or anything.  But after seeing videos of quads, I've got to try it.

Thanks,
Matt

Honestly, I believe a rev is superior to the spirit by far. After flying the spirit for about 30 minutes, I put it down and got back on my rev. The spirit is too bouncy. It isn't able to make as sharp movements as the rev. Plus, with the way it comes, it is very difficult to do 3d type stuff. It axels ok, but I couldn't get it to come down for a toss and catch to save my life. The only thing it has up on a rev is that it looks quite snazy, but that is all.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56 AM »

start off with any quad you can......
you do not have to pick up a rev to learn to fly it just because others tell you to.......find the quad that you like the look of....and watch people (live and videos) fly it and see if it flys like you want it to......

a spirit will start you off just fine...good materials...well built....

where are you located?

rob
Decas Revs soft quad foils....they all work...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 07:12 PM »

If I were buying my first quadline kite, I would go with a rev -- you will eventually end up there.

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
XZantoth

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:49 PM »

Thanks for the quick responses guys!
I think I'm going to go for the Rev (1.5 SLE).  As Sherman said, I'm going to end up there and I don't think I can justify buying two kites.
I live in Cincinnati, OH (anyone from around here?).  I mostly fly when I'm on vacation in the Carolina's, but I'll be looking for a place to fly around here now.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!
Matt
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:06 AM »

You can't justify two for now, but you'll rationalize many later. If significant other involved, try explaining different kites needed for different wind conditions ... then beg!  Wink

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Jeff

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:25 AM »

Thanks for the quick responses guys!
I think I'm going to go for the Rev (1.5 SLE).  As Sherman said, I'm going to end up there and I don't think I can justify buying two kites.
I live in Cincinnati, OH (anyone from around here?).  I mostly fly when I'm on vacation in the Carolina's, but I'll be looking for a place to fly around here now.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!
Matt
Matt, there is a kite club in your area called P.I.G.S. Aloft. Some of the members may be on this board from time to time. They have, if I recall correctly, a monthly fly at the VOA museum park. That would be a great opportunity to meet some other fliers. I don't know how many of the regulars fly Revs, but you should try to connect with them. There's nothing like sharing the sky with other fliers. Wink

and
levi501s

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:47 PM »

Hello all!

First contribution to the site.

Resurrected this tread because I am in the same boat the OP was: I am also looking to get into quad lines.  I'd like to keep the price around the $100 mark - if possible.

Is the previous advice still relevant?

What quad line would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 03:34 AM »

the New Tech Volksquad does a fine job....it is adjustable for different flight characteristics and come as a full set up for just a smidge over a Cnote....Steve has them....

bfranz

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 08:22 AM »

Have to chime in re the Volksquad. If you're considering this kite, be aware that it has a built-in oscillation (or "caterpiller-like") action in winds over maybe 10 mph. I've had one for a couple of months but it's only seen the sky twice. The first time was a 2 second brain lock induced snap turn into a spar rending "tip stab". The bridle has a lot of components and it's easy to have one be tangled. No P200 spares available so I tried a .260 carbon spar I had on hand - way too stiff and the kite was very unstable because the two wings were unbalanced. Fast forward a few weeks with the right spar in hand - flew in 10-15 mph gusty wind (no other kind here) and I found the kite to be very flyable and stable but, as others have said, it isn't a Rev. Turns and spins are slower and less precise but inverted hovers and reverse flight are easier than Revs IMO. The shuddering in forward flight is annoying but livable. I haven't spent much time playing with adjustments to see what effect they have on this characteristic. In the end, "you get what you pay for" very much applies.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41 AM »

Have to chime in re the Volksquad. If you're considering this kite, be aware that it has a built-in oscillation (or "caterpiller-like") action in winds over maybe 10 mph. I've had one for a couple of months but it's only seen the sky twice. The first time was a 2 second brain lock induced snap turn into a spar rending "tip stab". The bridle has a lot of components and it's easy to have one be tangled. No P200 spares available so I tried a .260 carbon spar I had on hand - way too stiff and the kite was very unstable because the two wings were unbalanced. Fast forward a few weeks with the right spar in hand - flew in 10-15 mph gusty wind (no other kind here) and I found the kite to be very flyable and stable but, as others have said, it isn't a Rev. Turns and spins are slower and less precise but inverted hovers and reverse flight are easier than Revs IMO. The shuddering in forward flight is annoying but livable. I haven't spent much time playing with adjustments to see what effect they have on this characteristic. In the end, "you get what you pay for" very much applies.

Did you contact New Tech about this?   The times i have flown one it has not been shuddering at all....

bfranz

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:30 AM »

Did you contact New Tech about this?   The times i have flown one it has not been shuddering at all....

Not yet - as I said, I haven't spent any real time with the kite yet so I'm not sure if a tension adjustment is in order. I fly it in the "flat" setting - least bow in main spar - since that makes the kite turn better. Seems like there is a lot of flex in the main spar and nothing to damp it from rapid bending in higher winds. I contrast this with my Airbow where the main spar is stiffer and the standoffs on the back side help keep things calm. There is a slight price difference so apples and oranges...
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+76)

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:38 PM »

the shuttering has alot with being to much on the bow line flatten kite alittle  and ad more brake and shutter will go away i had same problem with mine  and now its great  play with the bow line

steve

Steve & Sherri
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document