GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 07:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Ken ....Pro Dancer and Ocius Sul 7-19-12 new  (Read 2110 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 12, 2012, 09:44 PM »

Ken,  The wind was down and I flew tonight.  The Pro dancer and Ocius Sul. btw I am able to plug a sound system in at the Beach on Thursday nights the music is live.  Had to put some routine for the video...

The wind was nothing.  Maybe 1 mph.  You can see the Flag in the background.  Never moves.

The clips are long ... The Ocius clip I apologize for.  It misses some pretty good flying.  But it will serve your purpose.  Tough to try and fly any type of routine off the cuff.  Espically with No Wind.  

The Pro Dancer does what she does best... I stopped flying after the ocius Sul.  Wife called on phone.  Had to go home...  Lips sealed Lips sealed

Pro Dancer

Ocius Sul
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:11 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05 PM »

I love how both of our PDSUL videos are set to forrest gump soundtracks. hahaha    Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11 PM »

When R U coming home  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh  I've flown everyday since Monday.  Flew 3/4 hrs last night at Schoolcraft.  You see any improvement Huh  Going to Coldwater Huh  Callmethis week-end late... I am gopingto bed..nite.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:14 PM »

got to see your blue ocius sul finally Wink
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:19 PM by PUZZLE » Logged

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:24 AM »

I didn't realize how low the ProDancer could go. All of that in no wind. Very nice. Dig the shirt too.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 06:09 AM »

I didn't realize how low the ProDancer could go. All of that in no wind. Very nice. Dig the shirt too.
iirc someone had vid of a prodancer indoors......not certain who though...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:50 AM »

The wind was nothing.  Maybe 1 mph.  You can see the Flag in the background.  Never moves.

First of all, Vertigo, I am flattered and appreciative that you would cut videos for me and I plan to watch them many times. Tongue

Now, at the risk of biting that hand that feeds me, I am wondering how accurate is your report about the actual wind conditions, especially the first video. True, the big USA flag remains still, but they are often made of heavy material and require moderate winds to unfurl. If you stare closely about 10 o'clock at the large hole in the distant tree, you'll see another smaller flag (whitish) which is moving steadily throughout your kite maneuvers. Based on my modest experience, your winds looked to be > 1 MPH although obviously light.

Why am I inquiring about this apparently minor detail?

Newbies, especially, depend upon accurate reporting because, otherwise, how would we know what to expect realistically when we fly our own kites? Last night, attempting to fly my brand new PD-SUL, when I clocked the wind at 1 MPH (Windtronic2), I was having to walk back aggressively just to keep the kite floating in the air. You do move backward a few steps at times, but there many other occasions where you appear to be more or less stationary or even coming forward while the kite is spinning hard.

Having said all that, I do know that the PD-SUL can be flown between 1-2 MPH winds. There is a Devin PD-SUL video (see: youtube.com/watch?v=y53zns7HnaI) where he holds up a Windtronic2 and shows the actual readings (1.1-1.5 MPH). It is still baffling to me how he flies the kite that well without constantly moving backward, but the anemometer confirms the conditions and provides a reliable data point.

Your videos are wonderful and I thank you for them! Kiss  I may have some additional questions for you about technique as I watch them more closely. I still wish there was a slow motion button - how cool would that be!

Ken

P.S. Now that I think about it, I did add vinyl end caps to protect the three nocks. Could they have added enough extra weight to make a difference?

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Tmadz

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:50 AM »

Ken, wind can vary quite a bit over distances. It s very possible that the wind was blowing at a different position. If you notice, in several clear scenes Vertigo was walking smoothly backwards to help keep the sails full. Stunt kiting and zero winds still require youto move a lot. Am I offbase guys?
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:05 AM »

No wind takes lots of practice, I watch tcope fly in no wind with little effort. Then I try and I'm walking alot , recovering ground takes practice

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09 AM »

Ken, I've flown the PDSUL in .5-1 mph with little to no movement, as well as my best friend that I'm teaching too. It'll do it, maybe just take s'more time to get in touch with it. Older design, a bit of a different touch. Keep everything 'loosy goosy' and no drastic hand movements. Smooth!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
vertigo2u

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44 PM »

Repeating... I use a wind meter.. I called the beach for a wind report on the video.  1-586-783-3112 ... they give the direction and speed of wind.  I wanted you to know the correct wind speed.  Watch the video.  I am walking everywhere...

vertigo2u

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 08:33 AM »

Ken,

If you notice in the first clip.. The pro dancer changes sizes.  Some times it's far away and at times it's close tot he camera..  I am moving everywhere to keep her flying.

My wife had called and I had to return home early that night.. >:(I had intended on staying until I could not fly the Sul's anymore and then hook up the Inak or Nak nak or patty wak.. Not sure what I have.

I wanted to fly the Pro a while longer.  It was first time we had a date in a year..  She started to forgive me.  Gonna take her out more often.  She had some hang up about the Ocius Sul, but it's O.K. now.

I am going to do some more when the wind is down...
One day your going to love 1-2 mph ....

Also MAJOR FACTOR of light wind flying.  Find a Beautiful setting to fly.  If your in a no wind day at the local school yard... or soccer field... For get it.  I know a lot suffer on this point... But when the wind is down..Find that beauty spot and enjoy...

One day soon you'll post... "..Vertigo it was so beautiful..music was soft, wind down. Sun setting...".

Also someone will come up to you and ask "what are you doing?" ... when you tell them your going to fly a kite ...they are going to say No Way Jose...  For those of us have been there.. you know what I mean...  Vertigo Out !!!!!! it's 11:30 am Saturday and I am going flying... Wife just gave me the A O.K.

Going to fly something new coming from "Kites and Fun Things".. ( I took over Little Creep-O's job of testing new products.)  Can't say a lot.. But .......... I can say .... I did every trick I can do.... It was a Std. in wind that was about 3/4 mph... Wind kept dying...  Had to stop trying...
I want to repeat something.  I did every trick I know.  With ease.

Tmadz

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Vertigo, good analogy on the economic cost of the kite. Take the price of the kite and double it. There's the purchase price and then the economic cost to take your wife out so she'll forgive you purchasing the kite.

Todd
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:53 PM by Tmadz » Logged
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 03:07 PM »

Ken,
If you notice in the first clip.. The pro dancer changes sizes.  Some times it's far away and at times it's close tot he camera..  I am moving everywhere to keep her flying.
[SNIP]
I am going to do some more when the wind is down...
One day your going to love 1-2 mph ....

Joe - sorry to be so distrusting on the wind speed, but it comes from a genuine place. In < 2 MPH winds, I just find myself backpedaling so fast that my feet trip up and I nearly fall or tire from exhaustion! I try pumping my hands, of course (like I see in the videos), and the kite rises, but it falls just as precipitously unless I start jogging backwards. It's just not that much fun in 100 degree summer heat to be working this hard for a HOBBY! Wink Now, in 2-5 MPH winds, I love flying the PD-SUL! Still some footwork required, but it is manageable. Above 5 MPH, I am more inclined to pull out the WM-STD because, with it, I can at least practice a trick or two.

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
vertigo2u

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 07:30 PM »

Been waiting for a no wind day... as soon as it happens I'll do another video of both kites and change line length's.  Might be that kinds of day tomorrow.  Maybe at sunset...   keep watchin  Huh Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum