GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 10:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slot machine  (Read 1292 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: July 16, 2012, 08:48 PM »

.. want to revisit some tricks that I have not nailed down yet, and slot machine is one of those.

Are the following steps considered a slot machine?

1) fly horizontally from left to right
2) pop a half axle and as long as the kite goes flat
3) pop the upper line and slack the lower to initiate the spin

or

3) slack both lines and immediately pop the upper line to initiate the spin?

Rudy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:50 PM by rudyy » Logged
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:46 AM »

Top one looks about right.
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:55 AM »

It's a bit kite dependent, but it's easier to do if you don't let the kite come completely flat. 45 degrees will be sufficient before initaiting the rotation.
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 05:10 AM »

As Jaydub says, it can be kite dependent, my Jive 2 & Shadow do them very easily, my Pulsar needs the kite to be in just the right position or it tip wraps.  I find a small push on the top wing before the pull often helps.  If you look at Jaydubs avatar, that is about the position you're looking for. Have you checked out Randy G's tutorial? I found it helpful.

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials/randygs

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
jaydub

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29 AM »

I think the avatar was captued mid-Taz IIRC.  Undecided

You really don't need to take it that flat.  The flatter you take the flare the greater the chance of getting it into a tip wrap.  Can lead to a nice slot - unslot combo, but you won't find that in any text books. Wink
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:05 PM »

You can change step 1 in: fly horizontally from right to left   Cheesy

With SUL's I discovered that it makes the Slotmachine much flatter and a bit faster when you make a third input with the other hand during the rotation. You can minimize this pop, but it gives you a bit more control.

Good luck!
Krijn
John Welden

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:32 PM »

What you want to do for flat ones is practice down wind glides. If you flatten the kite out and maintain a glide, you can rotate until you run out of altitude. I hate pop and pray tricks and much prefer being in control the whole time. Watch any of the old school kite videos. The guys hitting flat flat spins are moving down wind. You can even do it with modern ass heavy kites.
Kareloh

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 01:21 AM »

Slot Machines are Pop and Pray? Not really...

Also, the flatspin you describe sounds more like a pinwheel or helicopter.
John Welden

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59 AM »

Slot Machines are Pop and Pray? Not really...

Also, the flatspin you describe sounds more like a pinwheel or helicopter.

A my definition of a pinwheel is when the kite spins on its own after the flyer starts it spinning. If you're in control the whole time, I call that multiple flat spins.

If you're trying to one pop flat flat spins, you're not going to be able to consistently do that unless you're flying something like the trick tail in light  wind.  I'm not a big fan of one pop slots and wonky Taz machine type stuff. Looks like the kite is broken.  It's supposed to look like its spinning on a table. Not wonky donkey out of control bs.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:49 PM »

"I'm not a big fan" ... "Looks like" ... "supposed to"

now with your opinion out of the way, show a little tolerance and add something constructive or relevant.

like...

to avoid tip wraps it helps for one of the angles of the kite to be around 45 degrees, whether it's with one wingtip being higher than the other, or with one wingtip being closer to you than the other. with the second, you must be quicker to give slack following your rotational input.

Fdeli
Kareloh

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 01:02 AM »

If you're trying to one pop flat flat spins, you're not going to be able to consistently do that unless you're flying something like the trick tail in light  wind.  I'm not a big fan of one pop slots and wonky Taz machine type stuff. Looks like the kite is broken.  It's supposed to look like its spinning on a table. Not wonky donkey out of control bs.

Wow, i would love to see someone do one pop slots. How does that work? Agreed, totally flat, flying straight down, all the way 540's are hard on today's kites but i would like to see someone hit them 10 out of 10 on a tricktail. Also quite challenging, right?

What exacty is a wonky Taz?
John Welden

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 06:31 AM »

"I'm not a big fan" ... "Looks like" ... "supposed to"

now with your opinion out of the way, show a little tolerance and add something constructive or relevant.

no.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 11:19 PM »

It's all about the difference in being a kite whisperer and a wonky donky yanker spanker.
Graceful vs. jerk and pray.
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59 PM »

I am a j and p for sure...
Which could be why I could not pull this trick off this weekend.

Kirb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document