GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 04:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a kite for me  (Read 1572 times)
Joseph 78009
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 17, 2012, 12:33 PM »

Hello I am looking for a good all around kite 2.3 to 15 mph winds give or take. I love to fly my kites I donít do a lot of tricks but would like to learn this is my problem my hands and elbows have nerve problems so I have slow hands and tend to under or over control. I have a prism 4d to reactive for me to fly .I also have a nexus I can only seem to do well with winds 10 to 12 and it is still a little to fast two. I also have a prism E3 I like this kite it seems to good for me with winds 10 to 20.I live in Castroville TX just west of San Antonio TX.So I need to bridge the wind gap with  a natural or forgiving kite my budget would be up to 325.00 with line set and straps. Any suggestions or should I stick with what I have?
vigli

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:58 PM »

Sea Devil. Very forgiving.
This kite will tell You how You need to fly and feel how bridle work. Well it is little more $$$ then You budget....hmmmmmmm
My experience:I'm not competition flyer but flyer who like kite which help to kite flyer how to fly better.
There is a lot of other kite. Other will tell You about them.
Just I can tell You that I'm very happy that I found Sea Devil.
This kite give You very good precision but trick too. It is very peacefull but can be wild if you push it in wild.
Also very good thing. No adjusment, Just angle of attach for low , medium or high wind. Just hang it on lines and enjoy....
Just my experince....
Best
boris
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:21 PM by vigli » Logged
red sweater

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:09 PM »

I hear the Silver Fox 2.5m kites handle slow. I have a 2.3m, and it's helping me learn pretty well. I don't know how well the standards work in low wind, and 15 mph is too fast for the UL.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ken Bour

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:57 PM »

Hello I am looking for a good all around kite 2.3 to 15 mph winds give or take. I love to fly my kites I donít do a lot of tricks but would like to learn this is my problem my hands and elbows have nerve problems so I have slow hands and tend to under or over control. I have a prism 4d to reactive for me to fly .I also have a nexus I can only seem to do well with winds 10 to 12 and it is still a little to fast two. I also have a prism E3 I like this kite it seems to good for me with winds 10 to 20.I live in Castroville TX just west of San Antonio TX.So I need to bridge the wind gap with  a natural or forgiving kite my budget would be up to 325.00 with line set and straps. Any suggestions or should I stick with what I have?

You indicate that you don't do a lot of tricks. The SkyBurner ProDancer SUL (http://www.skyburner.com/pdsul.html) may be just what you're looking for in terms of bridging the wind gap while being a full-sized kite (96") that is slow in the air and easy to control. It is rated from 0-10 MPH, so it won't handle your upper limit, but it will fly on very low wind days. I recently bought one and love it, but haven't yet learned how to keep it in the air at < 2 MPH. Others here swear it can be done with the correct technique and there are videos to prove it. I just flew it yesterday for hours in variable wind conditions (2-8 MPH) with 100' of Skybond 50# and it was great fun. According to the experts, it will perform a few tricks, but it takes finesse (light, easy, coaxing motions) -- may be ideal given your hand condition. The good news is that the kite is priced at $245 which leaves some budget room for a lineset and straps. Just one idea that may be worth considering... Smiley

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:44 PM »

From your initial post, I would suggest a good UL.

Your E3 will be fine in the higher winds and any kite would have trouble

going from 2.5 to 15 mph.

There are many good UL models that are full-size, well made and quite tricky.

A sample list might go something like:

Talon UL
Widow Maker UL
Deep Space UL

If you could find a nice UL used in the Swap Meet, that would be fine also.

The ProDancer SUL listed might be a bit too delicate for the wind range you have shown.

Most true UL kites have a realistic wind range of 3-8 mph, but will fly beyond that, just

not as well.

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect kite.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:04 PM »

Perfect advice imo ^
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:09 PM by PUZZLE » Logged

Joseph 78009

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions will look into the pro dancer,widowmaker yes i have the upper wind rating to high to fill the gap i should be looking 2 under 10 my E3 flys good for me at about 8 mph +.I really like full size kites my issues require a slow and forgiving as my imputs will never be normal most of the time i am to slow so i just dont want to waste more money like with the 4d which is wicked fast for me.
Thanks Joseph
Joseph 78009

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:43 PM »

the black pearl looks like a sweet kite do you know who sells this kite in us i cant seem to locate a us vendor.
thanks
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 07:48 PM »

bensen innerspace is a bigger kite that flys in pretty light wind, one of my favs

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 08:14 PM »

Do not get a Black Pearl as your next kite.

Although a very good trick kite, it has its own oddities which you

probably wouldn't care for at this stage of your flying journey.

The Inner Space tops out around 5 mph, but is an excellent SUL.

There are many good kites, each with its own personality.

As you had stated your hand motions may be an issue, I would

suggest a more forgiving kite like the Widow Maker UL. There is

one in my "A" bag at this very moment, as it is most of the time.

skb,

I don't hate Revs, in fact, I have 2 of them.

They are versatile, very well designed, easy to change frames

and as pretty as a bowtie. They are the best flying 4-liner I've

ever flown.

Please, let the lad stay with us dual-liners for a few more months

before you have him taste the Kool-Aidô.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:18 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 08:17 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions will look into the pro dancer,widowmaker yes i have the upper wind rating to high to fill the gap i should be looking 2 under 10 my E3 flys good for me at about 8 mph +.I really like full size kites my issues require a slow and forgiving as my imputs will never be normal most of the time i am to slow so i just dont want to waste more money like with the 4d which is wicked fast for me.
Thanks Joseph

Joseph,

Welcome to the forum.

Glad to read how much you enjoy flying. Sorry to hear about your physical conditions.

Some good suggestions on kites. I wanted to add something else different. Some kites are built more for precision vs. trickability they use to be called "team kites".

If you are open to some high quality used kites the swap meet is a good option and a good price.
Joseph 78009

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51 PM »

all good suggestions looks like i will be looking closer at the widowmaker,talon,silver fox 2.5 ,Talon,Tnt compitition and soul
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 09:39 PM »

For what you describe and out of everything listed I have to push the Widowmaker.  It flies slow and tricks slow or fast. The Std easily goes down to 3 mph with practice and handles 15 very well though it pulls pretty good that high.  ITs sweet spot for me is 3-12.  If you want a good pair for about the same price look at the skyburner freestylists.  STD/UL set will run about $350 and they are really nice kites for the size and price. 

If you stick with prism your best option is the Zephyr.  IT will fit nicely in the 2-10 range and you can still use your 4D for the 0-2 range where it will be slow and manageable.

For your budget avoid the TNT comp.  At current exchange rates they are still upwards of $500.
Hadge

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:06 AM »

I wasn't going to chip in on this as I'm really the wrong side of the pond but...

I would suggest that you take a look at the standard Flying Wings Soul. Lovely kite, very well made, flies as smooth as a hot knife through butter and, if you want, has all the tricks in there. It's a big kite and flies pretty slow but will go all the way down 3-4 mph without too much running around and will easily manage 15mph top end - it may be pulling a little at 15mph but then so will most others. I believe they're currently around $260 but they do come up in the swap/ meet from time to time.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 02:23 PM »

I would question the Zephyr in 2-10 mph range.  I was only able to get 4-5 to 10 mph out of it.  I really think 2mph would be dreaming (someone with much more god-like skills would probably be able to do it).  I do agree with the Widow Maker STD in the 3-4 mph to 14mph range and the Widow Maker UL from 2 to 8mph.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document