GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 12:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a kite for me  (Read 1886 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 04:35 PM »

I regularly fly my Zephs in 1-3.  Need to remove the weight, set the bridle to the low wind setting or even 1/4 inch over that knot and use 50-75 foot line sets. ITs a different kite down that low though and flies more like a true SUL limited to non flippy stuff tricks.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 05:48 PM »

Have to go with Kent on this one. After giving the kite a try for about a month I got rid of it. I was looking for a lowwind kite. turns out I already had one.... The Exile
PS NO INNER SPACE nice kite but WAAAAAY OLD  school
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:55 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Joseph 78009
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15 AM »

Okay what about the silver fox pro whats everybodys take on this kite? avability,parts,how its made and above all how it flys?
Thanks for all inputs
red sweater

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 08:21 AM »

Okay what about the silver fox pro whats everybodys take on this kite? avability,parts,how its made and above all how it flys?
Thanks for all inputs

Edit: Sorry, just caught the word "Pro" in that sentence. Missed it before.

I assume you'd go for the UL version. The general consensus is that SF ULs are more light-standards than UL, and have a range similar to the Zephyr. That means you may have some difficulty flying in 2-4 mph. I don't know whether that still holds for the Pro. I've gotten it flying (but not tricking, yet) in low winds, but I don't know what I'd estimate them as. Definitely under 4 mph. It takes some leg work.

Keep in mind, both the Pro Std and UL are both 2.3, which tricks a little faster than the 2.5.

The Pro UL is known to have issues with doing yoyos, but the designer posted a video here doing them easily without the upper spreader. I'm nowhere near doing yoyos, so I can't verify.

I've not been exposed to nearly as many kites as most here (my sig lists about all I have experience with), but I think the Silver Foxes have a reputation as being good for learning. The price is lower than most, but if you'll eventually be upgrading, it's probably better to just buy the more expensive kite now. That said, the SF line will do all the tricks, with the noted caveat above.

If this doesn't read as a glowing endorsement...well, I'm pretty inexperienced. I live inland, and have a baby, so I don't get the flying time I wish I could. Both of my tricky kites are new (to me) this summer, so I have very few hours logged with them. Upon release, the SF Pro UL was getting some negative comments. I'm fairly well pleased with it, but any tricky kite was a step up from the Quantum. So weigh my comments against my perspective.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:30 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 02:37 PM »

My vote is for the WidowMaker (Skyburner not Premier) UL. It's rated 2-12mph winds so it will cover a nice range for you. Your other kites will cover the upper range just fine & doesn't feel wimpy like some other UL's.  Is is really light on its feet,  though. Really sweet! 

I've flown my friend's WM UL a couple of times and just loved it.  I am told it's not  as tricky as the standard, but it's still pretty darned good. Too, the WM doesn't feel like you are driving a semi like it does with some other kites.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Hadge

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Joseph,  There is a Flying Wings Soul in the swap/meet with lines and straps at a great price, much better than the Silver Foxes, a seriously great kite that is both very capable and forgiving, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum