GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Pro versus Laser Pro Gold  (Read 2498 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: July 17, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Is there any difference between these - are they the same type of line?

I've only bought LPG in the past, but the LP sold seems the same.

Thanks,
-Tom

6 kite tom
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I was looking to confirm that they are different - I'll stick with LPG. 

I like Skybond, but, at least for me, it just doesn't last.  I've broken all my sets of 100# in the same way - mid comete!  Perhaps I should learn to ease up a bit! 

Thanks,
Tom

6 kite tom
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:31 PM »

Ok being a LPG flyer for years I can tell you there is a difference.  Laser pro gold is the standard line.  It has a bit looser braid decent coating and pretty slick.  It starts binding at about 10-12 wraps and has a good a mount of creep meaning you will have to even out the lines several times over the life of the set.  LAser pro gold "comp"  is a much better braid has a LOT less creep (i had a set that I wore out before I ever had to even it out).  The Comp line is also double coated IIRC.  THe strands are coated before braiding and then its coated again after braiding so its super slick and you can get 20+ wraps before any noticeable binding.  Quad guys and a lot of team dualies prefer LPG because it not only has next to no stretch/creep but it has better abrasion resistance than shanti speed line.  Flying pairs years ago with a couple friends we always had issue breaking speed line when we would wrap multiple sets and LPG just seemed to hold up better.

Current speed line and skybond are different than they used to be and speed line is quite improved.  Skybond is still too new to tell how well it wears, though I have now broken 2 skybond sets from flying wear. I fly a lot though and don't pay attention to wraps too much.
Thanks for the reply, I was looking to confirm that they are different - I'll stick with LPG. 

I like Skybond, but, at least for me, it just doesn't last.  I've broken all my sets of 100# in the same way - mid comete!  Perhaps I should learn to ease up a bit! 

Thanks,
Tom
Tom if your not sleeving your lines don't use skybond. Skybond HAS to be sleeved or it breaks at the knots every time, especially on aggressive tricks like the comete.

Oh and I should mention LAser pro gold and gold Comp are what you really want.  If its just plain laser pro its probably the earlier line thats not coated and has tons of stretch/creep.   Thats what prisms factory set were for a long time.  Still good line just not as good.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:37 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:36 PM »

Laser Pro Competition line is what LP sold for years before they came up with Gold.

It is not coated as far as I know. it is thicker for a given weight (you will fly in less wind with Gold) and it will take fewer wraps before binding than LP Gold.

On the plus side it out performs Gold over time in harsh environments, ie; beaches or anywhere you are dealing with grit, It is longer lasting than LPG. It also has a better hand than LPG.

LPG is coated, thinner, stiffer, and has less stretch than LP Comp. It is very low stretch which is why it tends to be popular with competitors.

LPG tends to pick up stuff. This and water seem to degrade its admitted strengths sometimes in as little as one flying session. If you fly on grass exclusively though, it is hard to beat.

Overall, I prefer Comp given a choice just because it stays cleaner and lasts longer.

While it does not have the performance of a new set of Gold, its characteristics do not change as much as it ages.

For competition flying LPG would be the choice.

I do not compete so ultimately LPGs strengths are not that important to me.

Or you can just go with Shanti Speed. I'm still flying a set of 80lb.x100ft. lines from the Mid-Nineties. Later they changed the weight rating to 90lb.. Same line just more conservatively rated back then.

It has good all around characteristics. Personal favorite.

Actually, it is called Warp Speed now and I guess they've made some changes. Whatever, still my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:51 PM by JimB » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26 PM »

Laser pro comp line is coated but its coated at the strand level where the new LPG is coated after braiding IIRC.  From what I Had in my bag their grades went from LP- LP comp back in the 90's to LPG and LPG comp now.  Differences are in the braiding  and coating.  The change came around the same time SHimano bought into LPG to make fishing line and stopped cutting specifically for kiting.  I always liked Shanti for the braid quality since it was always a bit thinner than LP at the same weight but LP always had a better connection to the kite and still does IMO but its not as big a difference as it used to be.

Different line has different friction though and if you fly teams its best to all be flying the same line or you will run into what me and MIke did where you can't get the kites to fly the same speed due to different line drag and wear problems when you cross lines.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50 PM »

The only Laser Pro Comp you will find is NOS. I have a bunch of it.

They haven't made it in Years.

The only line Innovative Textiles makes for kites is Laser Pro Gold for multi line kites and Laser Pro High Tenacity Polyester for SLKs

There is no Laser Pro Gold Competition line.

I do have a few spools of Laser Pro Comp that were mislabeled as gold and hand re-marked with a pen as Comp, but that was just an error. Even those are from back when Dan ran GWTW. IOW, a long time ago now.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:02 PM »

CA are you thinking of Laser Pro Sport line?

That was Spectra with a tracer strand of polyester. Long gone from the scene now. Prism used to ship kites with this stuff. Maybe not so long gone. Found some kites still being sold with it on the Web.. Pretty much long gone.

The product line as I understand it over the Years has been:

Laser Pro Comp
Laser Pro Sport as a budget line.
Laser Pro Gold.

That's it.

They did re-formulate Laser Pro Gold at one point. I think I got that tidbit from Dave Shenkman Years ago.. Anyway all good line.

Except Sport. Never liked that much. It was better than the usual poly or Nylon lines typical at that time for low end kites. So not so bad. I guess.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:27 PM by JimB » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47 PM »

Yep thats it.  Had either red or black tracer as I remember.  Think I still have a set from an old stylus or earlier kite somewhere if I didn't use it for an rtf package on one of my sales.  Was good line just not that slick.

Never liked the nylon line either.  Always seemed to stretch really bad on hot days.  Kevlar was ok too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:53 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:25 PM »

You should get the line set's that Prism makes. I helped make the line prestreching machine and as far as I know, they're the only prestreched line sets you can buy. They're dead even in length and stay that way.  They also come on the nicest winder I've seen. I think with straps too?  The duo straps are the best in my opinion.
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:51 PM »

You should get the line set's that Prism makes. I helped make the line prestreching machine and as far as I know, they're the only prestreched line sets you can buy. They're dead even in length and stay that way.  They also come on the nicest winder I've seen. I think with straps too?  The duo straps are the best in my opinion.
  Unfortunately the line sets don't seem to be as spot on as they used to be, at least the pre packaged ones.  I just helped out a guy today with a hypnotist line set that was 6 inches off, my latest zephyr line set was more than a foot off.  I don't think Mark is using high grade line anymore either.  THe line sets don't seem to be as slick as they used to be or as consistent in braid quality. 
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:01 PM »

I think John W is referring to the Modulus Lines which are Laser Pro lines made especially for Prism and Pre-Stretched. I agree the Prisms line sets that have been coming in their RTF kites have had some issues for years, but those are done offshore in China most likely.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:36 PM »

I haven't tried the modulus line yet.  Should get a couple sets and see how they compare to the skybond.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17 AM »

I bought one set of modulus from Steve when they first came out about three - four years ago. Never adjusted them and whenever we're out at the beach or flying at kite hill it is always out and being used.  90# X 75'..............never had to be adjusted, never failed when flying a Fearless Vent in 25 MPH and still going strong..........With that said there was an adjustment period (sort of like they had to be broken in to get the true slickness going) and we are now getting ready to pull the plug on a couple more sets........The only problem I have with them is that I'm color blind and they are harder for me to see on the ground or sand, other than that they make my cat purr.... Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 09:40 AM »

Every set of LP I have ever used had a break in period
John Welden

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51 AM »

I think John W is referring to the Modulus Lines which are Laser Pro lines made especially for Prism and Pre-Stretched. I agree the Prisms line sets that have been coming in their RTF kites have had some issues for years, but those are done offshore in China most likely.

Yeah I was talkin the modulus.  I hope only a small percentage of the RTF lines are incorrect. Mark is a quality freak and I know he tries his best to ship quality product. When making nine zillion of anything, a few are going to be wrong. If you find a defect, Prism will take care of it. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document