GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 03:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Pro versus Laser Pro Gold  (Read 2684 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Thanks for all the details! 

So, to sum it all up, it seems like most all Laser Pro on the market is going to be LPG since the comp line has been out of circulation for a significant amount of time.

Also, if I like LPG, I am likely to love Prism's new line.  I have tried it and indeed was super happy with it's performance.

On the Skybond - I broke 4 sets in 6 months (not at my non-sleeved knots) flying on grass.  Perhaps it was just a bad spool?  I did enjoy the flying performance of the line, but the seemingly random failures inspired absolutely no confidence.    One set lasted 45 minutes, one for several months - all flown on the same field.  As a comparison, a set of my LPG lasts over a year flying (and I fly very often) here and even then doesn't break on me as I generally replace it after it gets looking too nasty for comfort.

Thanks again,
-Tom

6 kite tom
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 12:21 PM »

What weight line are you using Tom, and what kites?  I am intrigued because our group here has been flying with Skybond nearly exclusively for over a year now and the only failure I have had was with my 100# on my Solus in 18 mph winds, it broke about 8 inches from the knot/sleeving.  I just moved the sleeving down, retied and am still using it.  I have moved up to the 175# for my Solus in high winds though. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:01 PM by Gamelord » Logged

tpatter

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 12:43 PM »

I had 100# if memory serves - I got a spool not long after folks started talking about it on here.

I pretty much fly the Transformer and Fearless most of the time, a few others here and there as well.  Both of these kites are lighter on the lines than most kites I've flown.  To me, the breaks did not seem to be about stress - they broke in rather light winds actually.  I have used the 100# line flying in 20mph with no issues, but that same line, broke the next day in 6.

I split the spool with another flyer - I will check with him to see how well his has held up.    I do really like the line - its great for all around flying.  The 100# was thin and light enough that I would use it instead of 50# for my SULs.

6 kite tom
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:58 PM »

I just bought a spool of the Skybond-- always good to hear this stuff *after* you spend the money, eh? lol.... even my flying buddy said he's broken the stuff a couple of times. Oh well, I am liking it right now. Maybe all y'all got a bad batch? Grin

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 03:38 PM »

On the Skybond - I broke 4 sets in 6 months (not at my non-sleeved knots) flying on grass.  Perhaps it was just a bad spool? 

Wow  Huh Huh Huh      Have you considered boxing?  Smiley

Chilese is always telling me I'm pulling too hard and too long.  Sad

at 6' 2", 240lb, I have had some strong tugs on the lines and the 100# spool I bought a year ago has had no issues. Love Skybond.

I thing you are right it must have been a bad spool.

tpatter

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 04:56 PM »

They always broke on the comete which seems odd to me.  When I first learned the trick - I hammered the heck out of the kite, but I'm pretty clean with it now. 

It is still a fairly aggressive input however - a sharp, short input.  I love hearing the sail pop.  I will try some again at some point.

-Tom

6 kite tom
np
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 05:02 PM »

On the Skybond - I broke 4 sets in 6 months (not at my non-sleeved knots) flying on grass. One set lasted 45 minutes, one for several months

Huh  Huh WOW  Huh  Huh

I know I already have the kite to "save the World" in my bag. I think it's time for someone to develop a kite line to "save the World". I purchased a brand new bulk spool of 90# Lasor Pro "comp", but I didn't like the way it stretched, so I resold most of it.
  When I was using Dyneema (Chinese name for Spectra) I would break a line-set ever once in a while at the sleeved end loop knots. Then I started making my end loops by splicing them rather than tying knots. I haven't had the same breaking issues like before. The splicing method does not allow for sleeving your lines. There are some knots better served than others for making end loops. Of course, as with most every other thing in here, this will not work for everybody. Did the kite retail store offer to replace any of your Skybond line-sets?   

tpatter

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 06:25 PM »

. Did the kite retail store offer to replace any of your Skybond line-sets?   

I never contacted them.  I pretty much fly 90# LPG (or 100# Shanti) even in vented weather with most of my kites - I like to hear them sing and LPG has no problems with it (I can't recall unexpected breaks).  So, given this 'abuse' I figure it could be partially my fault.  Also, if a little debri gets on the lines, that friction can also cause a heat-related break.

I've never had anything last like LPG, however - wears like iron.

Tom

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change