GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 11:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice to fly 3 - 24in. diamonds on a bar side by side...  (Read 2927 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: July 18, 2012, 06:02 PM »

I want to layout 3 24in. diamonds on a bar and have no knowledge of what I need. What to use for a bar, lines, etc. This will be flown with a group of 47 other same sized diamonds on single lines for an upcoming memorial fly. Any input very much appreciated...

Anthony
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:13 AM »

Karl longbottom has a pairof doves that fly on a rod...

These are active flyers......but you should be able to do the same easily with diamonds...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
whitebirdlover

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:58 AM »

Karl longbottom has a pairof doves that fly on a rod...

These are active flyers......but you should be able to do the same easily with diamonds...

What and where for rod stock? I assume short lines to keep kites from tangling? Thanks...

Anthony
thief

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:03 AM »

the rod is a ~2mm fiberglass rod....swivels at either end with ~18" leader lines to the bridle.....

Launching gets dicey as the doves want to go their own way and one pulling hard will pop the other end dove out of the air sometimes.....
but when they get up there they look cool...

Got pix of the diamonds you are going to use?

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05 AM »

Karls doves are so cool,  wish I had shot some video but somebody did

Karl Longbottom Dove Kites

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:19 AM »

Mike: you need a set....I can help with that Wink

whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:07 PM »

[/quote]

Stock item from David G. 24in.  I'm 'thinking a stack may work better for this (the three sisters all in a line, I still have a heavy heart from all this... Can't imagine what their classmates and friends are going through!) Putting 50 colored diamonds up with three white ones for the girls...

Anthony
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 01:10 PM »

Stock item from David G. 24in.  I'm 'thinking a stack may work better for this (the three sisters all in a line, I still have a heavy heart from all this... Can't imagine what their classmates and friends are going through!) Putting 50 colored diamonds up with three white ones for the girls...
[/quote]
Have you thought about an arch?
whitebirdlover

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 02:39 PM »

The idea is to have kids flying the main group (they all get to keep their kites, a way for them to have a external and, hopefully, joyful means of expression) and the white grouping as a symbolic lead...

I really don't have the experience for creating even a stack  Roll Eyes

Anthony
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 03:21 PM »

An Arch is a great idea and simple. You'll just use one length of line that will be staked at both ends, then the 3 kites can be tied onto that line using short lengths of line. It will give an attachment between the 3 white kites in a way but leave them a bit independent. And it will take very little engineering. (Edit: had to run- Ribbon is surprisingly strong in tension, even the inexpensive bonded stuff for wrapping, you could use a rainbow ribbon for the arch in the tree'd arch below. 1/2" would be minimum up to 1 1/2" which would flutter a lot in the wind,  It might be a nice effect though, an "Over the rainbow" type thing. Just happens to be an 1 1/2" grosgrain over on that auction site right now, that will stand up to anything and can be donated to a school after for crafts)
Quick sketch below

Pics of Gombergs 24" diamonds from gombergkites.com

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:56 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 03:28 PM »

The idea is to have kids flying the main group (they all get to keep their kites, a way for them to have a external and, hopefully, joyful means of expression) and the white grouping as a symbolic lead...

I really don't have the experience for creating even a stack  Roll Eyes
Kids flying kites is a nice idea, but it could be helter-skelter as most kids don't have it figured out how to fly a kite.  They'll be running all directions and kites crashing everywhere.  Build the arch and then take it apart and give each kid a kite.
thief

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59 PM »

Yep. Pull the spreader out....put onto the right wing tip a piece of line about 24"  long with a loop at the distal end.   On the left wing tip put a 4" long pigtail with a knot at the end.

To fly as an arch you can attach the rightside loop to the pigtail on the leftside of the next kite.....continue.....then at both ends of the arch add a 10' long line anchor both ends....

Make sure the arch is perpendicular to the wind.....

Leave the bridle on each kite for future individual use

I have the instructions for the Ty Billings arch eddy which is setup exactly like this.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31 PM »

Oh and your signature is from one of my all time Favorite songs, I even had a prized possession named "The Crutch" after it (but we won't go into what is was)

I hope you have a glorious day with perfect winds for your event.

whitebirdlover

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 05:44 PM »

Hey, thanks guys...
The arch seems like a great idea...
You're right about the potential for chaos...
Rob, like the idea... think a line or ribbon with kites tied to it would be easier to detach kites from for handing them out. Then we can let all *&^^ break lose  Wink
Checked out the rainbow ribbon and it looks great..

So... 53 kites, say 3ft. apart. on 1ft. lines, 240ft ribbon
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:23 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 06:09 PM »

I'd go a bit more then 1' lines because diamonds are often a bit skittish, I don't know about Gombergs though. Too short of line will get them swinging hard with no time to self correct. Putting 50+ up on a branched arch would be "Challenging" at best. If you choose all on an arch Thiefs instructions make a reliable arch although more work.

Mayhem is good   Wink   I never mind a day of dozens of kids running every which way, crashes, tangles...  that's a kite day. You meet the nicest people in adverse conditions, many people never meet their neighbors until the power goes out and everybody gathers in the street. Just saying.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:16 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document