GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 07:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you handle your lines on a winder  (Read 3122 times)
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« on: July 19, 2012, 09:12 AM »

Age old quest for what's the best figure 8 or flat wind.  When you buy lines they come both ways, it depends on the manufacture or who made the lineset.  Are you influenced one way or the other?  Comment if you have a real reason, not "just because my mother did it that way".
This should be interesting.  Poll results will be posted in 7 days.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:14 AM by boomertype » Logged
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:54 AM »

Quad line - figure 8 same thing for dualies when I flew them. I believe that the crossing in the middle helps prevent line twists. I always let out and take up line from the handles (straps) to the kite, that way the line set flips end to end each time they are used. I have some spectra line that I know is 20 yr.s old.

SLK line is on wind breaker reels or gator spools, either way the line always comes off and goes on the same way to avoid twists.

Works for me Grin, YMMV
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Dual line: Figure 8, starting from the straps
Quad line: on the handles flat round wind

I always wind from the straps/handles to the kite.

When I set up, I assemble the kite, attach the lines and walk backwards, unwinding as I go. Opposite when winding up.

+1 for dual-line (don't own a quad -- yet! Undecided)

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:08 AM »

Dual, Quad is always figure 8-wound on the card. I unwind starting from the straps or handles, staked, to the kite. When winding up, I always put away the kite first, then wind the lines back to the staked handles. I almost never get a twist this way.

SLK is always figure 8-wound for the smaller line when on winders (slowly converting from hoops 'cuz they travel more compactly); larger line stuffs (neatly) into bags.

Bob
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:15 AM »

Quad-lines: Straight-wind starting at kite toward handles, wrapping handles w/winder.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
sluggo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:27 PM »

Flat-wind on dual, always winding from straps to kite, unwinding from kite to straps, because it is (for me) significantly quicker than figure-8 winding.

Is there any benefit to figure-8 winding if you're always winding and unwinding symmetrically?
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Flat wind from straps to kite. Seems like when I figure 8 they get tangled, maybe cause I'm left handed? Lol!
ko

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47 PM »

figure 8 because thats how my dear old mother did it after she beat it into me

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 06:12 PM »

I only figure 8 when they are someone else's lines and I don't know if they hold the winder in the left or right hand.

For my lines, I've been winding straight on the same way for many years. I always hold the winder in the same hand. No worries.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:39 PM »

figure 8
and i was taught by the best on how to wrap cables over and under too

Sine Metu!
Texanpilot

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:54 PM »

Always figure 8 for me.

I can't stand the twists that develop in the line mid-wrapping if I went flat.  Even if the twists are undone when I unwind the lines, I really don't like them.  Angry

Steady winds, y'all.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57 PM »

I have tried it both ways. Figure 8 for dualies seems to prevent twisted lines. From straps to kite always.

Also, I can tell when my son has used my kite. He winds them flat and the lines always seem to have been crossed several times.

I figure 8 my big SLK's because it's quicker to roll up and less twisting. I have a heck of a time getting the kinking and twists out of my smaller SLK line using the yo-yo winders. I thought it was because of the twisting of line in mfg and the stretching.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:33 AM by Tmadz » Logged
Stogiez
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 03:34 AM »

Dual, Quad is always figure 8-wound on the card. I unwind starting from the straps or handles, staked, to the kite. When winding up, I always put away the kite first, then wind the lines back to the staked handles. I almost never get a twist this way.

+1 on dualies and quads.

On SLKs I use extension cord reels to bring in the lines. They are kinda big, but it makes winding in 150'-250' of line a breeze.

A few SLKs, a few Dualies, and a couple of Quads.  Still trying to learn more.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 01:45 PM »

I'm really surprised that so many people figure 8 their lines.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:26 PM »

I go flat for maybe 4-5 times around and then do the rest figure 8!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document