GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 05:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual 540s  (Read 750 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: July 21, 2012, 02:56 PM »

This is probably nothing new, but has anyone tried it?  I never do it before but I just do it today a few times.  It is quite cool.

Fly up high and then do a vertical dive, pop the first 540 right at the middle of descent; regain line tension with nose pointing 45 degree downward; pop the second 540 when it gets close to the ground.  I am using 100ft line and longer lines will make it easier...  you may get a triple 540s with 120-130 ft lines. Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:24 PM »

When a kite finishes a 540, the nose should be pointed in the general direction of the

pilot. The kite may be still pointed forward (in which case a second horizontal rotation

would result in a 900) or the nose may be pointed more toward the sky (fly kite away).

To do what you suggest sounds as if the 540 rotation would have to be choked after

about 400 degrees of rotation.

Are you asking if anyone has done ever descending 540s very close in time to each

other? It is hard to do a proper 540 and have the kite lined up for another.

But then there are many tricksters here much better than myself who may have

the answer you are looking for.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 03:28 PM »

I agree with John's description.  Huh
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 03:41 PM »

Doing a sequence of Flat Spins in a vertical dive isn't that complicated - you just need to be clean in exiting the rotation and getting the kite powered up again before popping the next. An issue is that modern kites don't overly adhere to the flat portion of a Flat Spin so exiting pointing downwards becomes the difficult bit.

And then let's move on to 720s and 1080s  Cheesy

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 03:49 PM »

It's hard for me to picture what you're doing.

Seems like maybe you're flaring, doing a 360 flat spin and then taking up tension. Then repeat with another flare and maybe a full 540?

Or maybe do a 540 and then sort of turn down again so you can hit another 540?

Whatever, keep doing it and get it on video. It's cool to see unusual combos.
rudyy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 04:35 PM »

The two 540s I am talking about do not happen consecutively, but they do happen in one single dive.  As soon as the first 540 is completed, just slightly steer it to make it point 45 degree downward and let it continue on the dive, then complete the second 540 when it gets closed to the ground.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:49 PM »

The two 540s I am talking about do not happen consecutively, but they do happen in one single dive.  As soon as the first 540 is completed, just slightly steer it to make it point 45 degree downward and let it continue on the dive, then complete the second 540 when it gets closed to the ground.

Take a look at this. Having completed a 540 (so named as the kite rotates through 540) it will be heading directly upwards and no 45 turn is going to make it point remotely downwards.

What I suspect you're doing is close to 360 Flat(ish) Spins in a sequence and the little extra turn is correcting for the skewed "flat" that modern kites go through.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
rudyy

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:16 PM »

It depends on what point the tension is regained. Everything is happening so fast in that split of a second... Smiley
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:21 PM »

It depends on what point the tension is regained.
Correct, but it sounds like you regain tension after 360 degrees, not 540 degrees.  So a 360 followed by a 540.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:35 PM »

This is probably nothing new, but has anyone tried it?  I never do it before but I just do it today a few times.  It is quite cool.

Fly up high and then do a vertical dive, pop the first 540 right at the middle of descent; regain line tension with nose pointing 45 degree downward; pop the second 540 when it gets close to the ground.  I am using 100ft line and longer lines will make it easier...  you may get a triple 540s with 120-130 ft lines. Smiley

Did it look something like this...

Flying the ITW Kymera, Winter 2012...

Skip ahead to 4:13

It's something that I've done by accident, unfortunately didn't catch a clean one on film... Every once in a while, I'll find the spot to put in that second or third rotation. Sometimes even fly away clean...  Roll Eyes

KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17 AM »

Did it look something like this...

I've found I can do these really cleanly with an UL  in soft on-shore winds.  The trick to getting them is to do the initial 540 as S-L-O-W as possible, and start away from the wind centre.  The kite will drift towards the centre of the wind with each rotation, and maintain its flat orientation.  With careful timing and very light inputs I can get 540, 900, 1260s and have even fluked a 1620.

The first time I nailed these ... OzomozO  Huh  Huh

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
rudyy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 06:19 AM »

Hi Bob,

Wow, that is nice, but this is not what I did.  I need to regain the tension after the first 540, but yours is more like a 1080.  Did you pop twice during the spin?  But yea, it is cool.  I am going to try it.

Rudy
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:42 AM by rudyy » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 11:29 AM »

Back to back 540's like Rob did are fun to try.  Actually multiple 360 spins since you have to hit another input with the kite nose away.  My record so far on my solus is 4 but it degenerates badly after 2-3.  Need to try on my vapor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography