GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 11:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying multiple stuntkites  (Read 1807 times)
wellemberg
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 20, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Hey, Iīve been flying stuntkites and powerkites for quite some time now (20 years) and now Iīve got 5 matching kites and wanted to fly them all at the same time. They looked great standing on the ground hehe, but as they took to the sky, the final kite looked as if it was caught i turbulence!? No need to say that they went straight to the ground, and after trying for one and a half hour, I gave up. between every kite, there is a distance of 1 metre, should the distance be greater!?
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:31 PM »

You failed to mention what kites you are trying to stack.  (I am also assuming you are stacking them and not flying each individually like Ray Bethall).

I will assume that you are stacking stunt kites.  Generally, the length of the stack lines between each kite is 3/4 the length of the leading edge.  If you have 1 meter (3.3 ft) this may be too much or not enough - depending on how big the kites you are flying are.

Another trick on stacks is to shorten the bottom lines on the rear kite to add a little drag so it stays in formation better.

wellemberg

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Ah yeah, sorry, Iīm trying to stack the 5 kites, delta kites, they meassure 125 cm X 70 cm!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:59 PM »

I was working on stacking two kites.  In order to determine the optimal distance I built 10 leaders that were 12 inches in length.  I placed a knot at 1" increment on 5 and 1/2" increment on the other 5.

I put 5 of the 1" leaders on the the front kite.  I put 5 of the 1/2" leaders on the back kite.

I made a 5 18" strings with loops at the end.

I flew and made 1/2" adjustments until I got to the right spot.

Those things fly like they are on rails now!  I can do 360s all day long.  I can do full axles with both as well.

Perfect!  Experiment!
Paul

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
wellemberg

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:49 AM »

Maybe its my  English Wink But I donīt quite understand what you mean by that Paul!?
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:54 AM »

What model kite are you stacking?  Measure the leading edge, divide by 4, then subtract that number from the total length of the leading edge.  That will be your link line length. Make sure all the link lines are exactly the same length. On the last kite shorten the bottom, outer links by 1 inch to start with and if the last kite still tries to wobble then shorten the lines by another 1/2 in and test again.  The wobble I'm talking about is where the last kite looks like it flies faster than the rest so it leaps forward and gets pulled back by the links constantly moving nose to tail as the stack flies.
wellemberg

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:59 AM »

Well, itīs a sport/stuntkite like the stuntkite on the following link...

http://www.cyberobjex.com/flashhelp/kite_anatomy.htm

On each side of the kite, the bridles are attached at three points, how should I attach my lines, two at each side, or one in the center and one at each side where the top bridle are attached!?

Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:17 AM »

you need 5 link lines for each kite.  One at each bridle point on the leading edges (spreader fittings) and one at the center T
wellemberg

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 11:29 AM »

Okay, thanks, Iīm going to start right now on fixing the bugs, canīt wait to see if it did the trick Wink
red sweater

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 07:31 PM »

I was working on stacking two kites.  In order to determine the optimal distance I built 10 leaders that were 12 inches in length.  I placed a knot at 1" increment on 5 and 1/2" increment on the other 5.

I put 5 of the 1" leaders on the the front kite.  I put 5 of the 1/2" leaders on the back kite.

I made a 5 18" strings with loops at the end.

I flew and made 1/2" adjustments until I got to the right spot.

Those things fly like they are on rails now!  I can do 360s all day long.  I can do full axles with both as well.

Perfect!  Experiment!
Paul

I know next to nothing about stacking, but I've never seen a video of a stack doing axels or other slackline tricks. This is really a thing? Can you link a video? I'd love to see that.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 07:45 PM »

gwtwkites.com presents: 3D Amazing Grace
  Best indoor 3d vid ever
wellemberg

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 10:55 PM »

you need 5 link lines for each kite.  One at each bridle point on the leading edges (spreader fittings) and one at the center T

Why the center T!? Itīs in line with the two bottom leading edge lines!?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 11:56 PM »

Because you will break the center-T on all trained kites.

All sport kites when flown by themselves are supported at 5 points.

So when you train them, the center-T of each kite must be supported,

just like the first kite center-T is supported by the bridle.

Would you fly a sport kite with the bridle lines removed from the center-T?  Shocked

5 train lines for all following sport kites
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:59 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
wellemberg

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 01:17 AM »

Ah, that makes sence, thanx Wink
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 04:50 AM »

Because you will break the center-T on all trained kites.

All sport kites when flown by themselves are supported at 5 points.

So when you train them, the center-T of each kite must be supported,

Not positively so in every case.........We have a ten stack of Microns (second generation) and only # one is supported at the center tee because of the bridle........All nine others are linked with four lines apiece at the upper and lower spreader attach points........Have flown it in 20 MPH winds and nary a problem.......I agree though that heaver kites do need more trussing for to keep them from wobbling and the inevitable death spiral that would result.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document