GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 05:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Zephyr  (Read 919 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: July 20, 2012, 05:59 PM »

I have been flying for two weeks since the purchase of Prism Zephyr, and now I have most of the tricks I could do back to my 'tool box'.  I like having the leech line totally not tensioned.  It farts so loud when I do a snap lazy.  .. And it is not so bad in precision flying.  I love this kite.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:25 AM »

The Zephyr is a really good kite to take a flyer all the way from "can keep it off the ground" to "can do a HEAP of modern tricks, as well as nice precise flying around".  The first model had a couple of minor quality issues, but they seem to have been well addressed with the subsequent releases.

Glad to hear you're clicking with it - good choice.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:31 AM »

Zephyr is a great kite.  I still regularly fly mine even though I have a few better ones now.  I love it in the 1-6 mph range.  Its a challenge to fly well in the 1-2 range though.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57 PM »

I have been flying for two weeks since the purchase of Prism Zephyr, and now I have most of the tricks I could do back to my 'tool box'. 

Glad you hear you love the kite. Now that you have reloaded the 'tool box'. It should be time to learn some new tricks.  Smiley

Zephyr is a great kite.  I still regularly fly mine even though I have a few better ones now.  I love it in the 1-6 mph range.  Its a challenge to fly well in the 1-2 range though.

I don't have Ca Ike low wind skills. The Zepher wind range is more like 4 to 6 mph for me.  Embarrassed 

While I like the kite trick ability, hard to match is small wind window with my local wind conditions.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Keeping the Zephyr hoping to one day have Ca Ike skills.  Tongue
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:07 PM »

I have been flying for two weeks since the purchase of Prism Zephyr, and now I have most of the tricks I could do back to my 'tool box'. 

Glad you hear you love the kite. Now that you have reloaded the 'tool box'. It should be time to learn some new tricks.  Smiley

I don't have Ca Ike low wind skills. The Zepher wind range is more like 4 to 6 mph for me.  Embarrassed 

While I like the kite trick ability, hard to match is small wind window with my local wind conditions.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Keeping the Zephyr hoping to one day have Ca Ike skills.  Tongue
The trick to figuring it out and learning to fly it in the 1-3 range for me was realizing Mark actually designed 2 kites in one.  A light standard with great tricking ability in the 4-12 range and an old school ul flyer (no weight, no flippy stuff other then JL) and only set the bridle for the light std side of the kite.  Even mark says you need to move the low wind setting another 1/4-1/2 inch higher than the existing limit to fly in 1-3 reliably.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Its a challenge to fly well in the 1-2 range though.
Have we now extended the definition of "flying well" to "not on the ground" 'cos in my hands the Zephyr needed the air to be tangibly moving to be of much use and no human being is going to feel 1~2 mph (unless at very high pressure or very low temperature - I have a working knowledge of Boyle's Law).

For me, it started to work at around 4mph - a bit more than when I started to feel the wind movement. Less than that would be such a chore that I wouldn't be enjoying whatever it was doing... and it wouldn't be very much for very long either. Bridle tweaks (yes, I went over the limit) and considering the weight to be an option can only help so much.

And if the leech line is loose then that extra drag isn't helping low wind performance either.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 08:40 PM »

I am thinking of getting a 2nd Zephyr as a backup and an extra line set 120ftx90# for precision flying.  Smiley

Actually, I think it flies as good as the Nirvana Std but at almost half the price!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:33 PM by rudyy » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document