GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 12:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Burner Nite... Std. Ul Sul and Inak in 2hrs.  (Read 814 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 22, 2012, 10:41 PM »

Glad I had my "A" Bag ....

I got there at 6:30 pm Sunday Night.  I started out with my Widow Maker Std. (yellow/black).  After sometime the winds started to drop.. So I changed to my Widow Maker Ul ( Blue,Gray) ... In a short time the wind continued to drop... So I changed to a Sul..First up was Pro Dancer ..then Ocius Sul.  The wind continued to drop.  Then there was NO WIND ... So I changed to my INAK ... and I flew...

The 2 Widow Makers were flown on #100/100' lines.  The Ocuis Sul/Pro dancer and Inak were flown on #50/75' lines.

It was a Sky Burner Night ...  Cool

Everything
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:50 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:54 AM »

Hey...
You captured the two things I HATE about flying in the summer... being covered with sweat is number 1.   Cheesy

The wandering idiots walking right through your flying spot is 2. I mean, really, do these same people walk across a baseball field in the middle of a game ? The only thing that's worse is when they stop and set up their blanket.

Nice video, liked the looks of the 540s in the beginning.
~Rob.

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:31 AM »

Or the couple that sets up their umbrella right behind you at the beach.  How odd, they set up far from the water and between my sunbathing wife and I.  What a clown!
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10 AM »

The wandering idiots walking right through your flying spot is 2. I mean, really, do these same people walk across a baseball field in the middle of a game ? The only thing that's worse is when they stop and set up their blanket.

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think that's an apt comparison at all. Baseball fields are designated for that use, and often reserved ahead of time for actual games. Plus, there are set boundaries.

Now, there's no excuse for anyone to get between a kiter and his kite. (Adults should know better to stay out of the entire window, but kids will get as close as they can. I give them the benefit of the doubt, and chalk it up to lack of experience or proper teaching.) However, a kiter should be mindful of the disproportionate amount of public space he is occupying, especially when the crowds come in the summer. Not everyone can occupy that much space, so it's not fair to stake a claim and be offended by encroachments, unless there is plenty left for everyone else. Consideration is a two way street.

Not that vertigo did anything wrong here. I see plenty of space, and not a ton of people. And he's even flying on what look like rather short lines. He's taking up about as much space as a game of catch among 3 or 4 people. Not unreasonable at all.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54 PM »

In 1968-69 they had the International Kite Competetion which at that time was held in South Vietnam.  I was in IV Corp in the Mekong Delta the region was great for steady wind.  Many of the Viet Minh were expert's Kite flying but a lot of us American
flyers caught on pretty quick to their tricks. ( lines with glass, lines cut, people setting up picnic in our area, etc.).  Anything to through a guy off.  Sometimes they would hide thier kites.  Yep !! you could not see them.  The guys I use to fly with were a funny bunch... Always coming up with better ways to fly and compete.

We actually flew helicopter's over the flying field and made everyone mad.  Yep.  Of course we took it too far on ocassion.  I mean the guns and bullets thing was rather intense.  But we eleminated the competition.  It wasn't always one way.  At 19 yrs. old and co-pilot you don't expect the others to shot bullets at your helicopter or crash.  Twice.  I mean come on.  O.K. I went to the hospital but 20 days later again !!!  Please.

The whole competetion thing was rigged from the start... Fake judges, annoying attitudes of the older flyers in charge, lies, a lot of guys got serious string cuts and burns from illegal string.   Because it was rigged a lot of hurt feeling also.

I wore my Offical T shirt I got from the competetion and people mocked me.  I really got mad a couple times.  I liked the shirt and the cool laple buttons.  Had to smack a few people who laughed.  Did me some  good and them... They had bad teeth anyway.  Saved them root canals. 

I finally gave up on the whole kite circut thing and kinds decided an education was better... than punching people.  I liked the new University T shirts better anyway.  Go Oakland U and Wayne State.

Yea, Norm it started there.... I wasn't going to die and I wasn't going to stop unless they killed me.  It's what we believed at the time. 

Today!! I regret what I did,but I don't apologize for it.  I did what I believed in at the time.  I suffer today from my wounds  ... would I do it again..   No.  I'd defend my country but in cicumstances such as we live in today.  Vietnam ...

From Army hospitals to a career as a shrink .... I can't complain.. espically since your sewing me a $24.51 set of Chessy Flight Straps ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum