GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 10:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting airborne  (Read 2268 times)
wellemberg
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 23, 2012, 10:39 AM »

I was just wondering how those guys with powerkites get lifted up in the air, it looks pretty cool when they do that. Do they pull back on the bar!?
red sweater

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:50 AM »

Pendulum jump.
http://forum.kitecrowd.com/recreational/pendulum-jump-fully-demonstrated-flash-player-101815.html

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:54 AM »

practice....lots of it....
BE VERY CAREFUL! (of course)....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:04 AM »

Anyone want to buy my Blade VIP?  It's perfect for this. Wink

dangerous!  You definitely need safety gear: helmet, knee/elbow pads, etc.

I've been trying to learn the pendulum jump, but I think I'm gettin' too old.  The VIP scares me.  Huh

-Mike
wellemberg

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Hahaha, I guess itīll be ALOT cheaper for me to buy one here in Denmark Wink
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:41 PM »

Things don't always go according to plans.

Flexifoil Bullet 5.5M Superman

Unexpectedly high Ace 5M Lift (External Embedding Disabled)

If you have never flown a powerkite before, jumping is not something you should be planning to do with your first one.

ATB,
Sam

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:55 PM »

I was thinking about getting into power kiting, but that just made me reconsider.
wellemberg

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 01:19 PM »

OUCH!!!
Iīve been flying with powerkites for a long time, but smaller powerkites though. I was thinking of trying kiteboarding, you know on land! And I think a smaller kite than a 5.5 would be more than enough for me to start out with!
red sweater

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 01:26 PM »

I was thinking about getting into power kiting, but that just made me reconsider.
+1

Thanks, indigo.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 08:23 AM »

short but sweet. thanks Sam

have fun kurt
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:36 AM »

Look like the Coyote trying to catch the road runner with the same result.

Must be an Acme kite?  Cheesy
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 12:45 PM »

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 12:51 PM »

BANDWIDTH WARNING - Do not attempt to view this post on a mobile device.  GPUs will burn & brick

OK.... I think my last post was too terse and might have been misinterpreted.

If you have an interest in powerkites, I am not saying don't pursue it... I am not saying powerkites only lead to pain, misery and mangled body parts.

I am saying respect the wind and respect the power that can be generated by even moderate size powerkites.

In 2010 a 2.7 Vapor (granted it is a race kite and built for speed) was enough to power Fast Arie to a (then) speed record of 82.9 m/h (133.4 km/h).  That's one adult size male and a buggy weighing close to 100 lbs. (for fun compare his speed to the highway traffic in the background).

World Speed Record in Kite Buggy 82.9 m/h, 133.4 km/h

www.powerkiteforum.com is a good source of information and populated with all kinds of helpful folks.  One of the threads that often pops up thee is someone has seen a kite jumping video and wants to dive right into it.  The problem is that to safely jump, you need a 5M kite or better.  Smaller kites will get you airborne in the right winds, but they don't have enough canopy area to sustain the "float" required to bring you safely and softly back to ground.

The problem is that a 5M kite is NOT suitable for learning on. 

Either because of costs or impatience, lots of people can't be convinced that then need more than one kite for different wind conditions (think UL, STD, Vented for dual line kites) or to accomodate a learning curve.  So they go out buying something too large, fly overpowered and hurt themselves.  Or due to cost considerations, they get a kite that is too small and doesn't generate power until you take it out in nukin' winds.  Small kite + nukin winds = ballistic speeds that make it more difficult to control where the kite is in the wind window and how much power it is creating.

Arguably, depower kites are safer for jumping as you can control the power output by altering the angle of attack, projected area (curve), and/or camber of the canopy.  However, the buy-in for a new moderate sized depower kite is $800-$1200+, then add $100-$200 for a harness, $20-$30 for a spreader bar, $40-$50 for a safety leash, $70-$150 for a helmet, $50-80 for crash pads. 

So fixed power or depower, the beginer power kiter starts looking for bargains which equates to no-name kites on eBay or much older gear with less than stellar safety systems... either route is a recipe for bad juju.

A safer route is to
  • Read up (plenty of online stuff and active forums dedicated to powerkites)
  • Listen when people warn you about stuff and slow down... the wind will still be there.... eventually  Wink
  • If there are other flyers in your area, try to meet up with them.
  • Chris and the HQ folks are at a lot of events around the US during the season with demo gear (expect HQ is present at a lot of events in other countries too).

Mad props to the people that put the time in, get wicked good and make it look (relatively) easy.

Essex Spring Sessions

HQ - Matrixx

New Levels - PUSH Kiting

Kiteloop Kings by PUSH Kiting

PETER LYNN VIDEO kite landboarding freestyle Dan Smith

Just like dual lines, you don't have to reach competition or team rider levels of competence to just enjoy yourself.

Ozone Method.mpg

One hundred bucks worth of fun.wmv

ATB,
Sam

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:07 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:57 PM »

+1.. great advice Sam.
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Here is some airborne. Huh

kite boarding gone wrong
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:39 PM by mikeb » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document