GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(1)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Latest Greatest  (Read 8849 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 06:02 PM »

I have to admit the pilot was "not" moving much in the video - it certainly is worth looking at or trying - no SUL needed - just a UL? HMMM ... this I doubt - but interesting kite - just to see how much inferior it is next to the Transformer or Fearless - so we are clear.

In my bag of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL & Light , Transformer TL's: (SUL, Light, Vented Light), Transformer 2 SUL.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 06:14 PM »

The Transformer flies like duck with an ass full of buckshot by comparison.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Kantaxel

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 08:17 PM »

The Transformer flies like duck with an ass full of buckshot by comparison.  Wink

Denny

Uh Oh.................Time to Duck  (pun intended  Angry )

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 09:42 PM »

Now now boys - kites are like women, there are many ways to be beautiful in both form and function.   

6 kite tom
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 10:49 PM »

Any good video of the kite to watch. TY

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:35 PM by Fearless Object » Logged
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 11:14 PM »

I hunt waterfowl every season and neither my Sea Devil or Transformer has ever flown like a duck with it's ass full of shot.
Maybe you need to use a lighter load.  Cheesy

I did think that comment was a little harsh towards an amazing kite built by an amazing kite builder.

To each his own, not everybody has the money or ability to always buy the latest and greatest.

Lucky you.

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Mr.Derrick
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 11:42 PM »

I have to admit the pilot was "not" moving much in the video - it certainly is worth looking at or trying - no SUL needed - just a UL? HMMM ... this I doubt - but interesting kite - just to see how much inferior it is next to the Transformer or Fearless - so we are clear.

I know what makes you think why this could be an SUL or UL:  The movemants of Hugo are slow and have a flowty look... if you know how to do. But notice: the Kite in all but one video is a std version.

In my opinion SUL kites are realy interesting if you are a competition pilot and must have every time the max performance (force). There is the "ring of fire" you don`t have to leave - you could not move backward as much as you want, like a "normal" pilot.  If you are not competition pilot you will miss the flywheel mass or you fly only time floating tricks an leave the rest. So i only have the TNT UL comp and not the Zero, because there are only 3 or 4 days in a year i miss the Zero.

The Fearless and the Hugo are not comparable. Fearless is much faster, more agressive and the inputs are comlpetly differnt. Hugo is more precision kite witch could even trick very well.  At most Videos you see tricks, tricks and oncs more tricks, but if we are flying "not for the cam" there ist a big part that we are flying squares, corners consistent turns and long and straight lines. In this parts Hugo runs on rails and very steady in his speed.

greetings from Berlin- Germany
Dirk
My Kite Picture Page: http://de.zooomr.com/photos/elduderino/sets/38621/
DWayne

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 05:16 AM »

Maybe you need to use a lighter load.  Cheesy

You think #4 shot is overkill ?

Denny

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 06:14 AM »

Over the last three years I did find two kites that flew close to the Fearless & Transformer: Focus Hydra and the Saber II. Although living in the U.S. I do not get to handle some of these European kites and lately I just been attending the Wildwood International Kite Festival. Its possible this Hugo kite has alot of good attributes since we have a guy from California, U.S. telling us this is the case. So as I said its worth looking at - this new kite by SAW impressed me also and seems to have alot characteristics like the Tattoo even though its not a SUL. Its the usual scenario every kite has its good and bad points however I have never seen a kite "fully" surpass a Fearless or Transformer line - but my idea of a stunt kite is tricking with little effort or very small inputs - it still requires a good amount of practice - there are no shortcuts. Currently - Lam is talking about putting vent windows in the SUL versions to stabilize the Tranformer even more with a sudden wind increase - this is perfection - so when you tell me its more of a precision kite than a trick kite - I am not sure what that means in 2012 - the Saber II had excellent tracking and did very well at tricking so I guess it has these characterstics - so if the wind is around 1 mph in July and the air temp is 65* at 8AM and its low tide and I have the full waterline to myself I should sell my Tattoo and run around MORE with this Hugo standard that can really track well - OK Dwayne  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

In my bag of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL & Light , Transformer TL's: (SUL, Light, Vented Light), Transformer 2 SUL.
Kantaxel

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37 AM »

This has the makings of an all out controversy....too bad I gotta go home and go to sleep after work..........I love a good kite brou-ha-ha Cheesy

Jim

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 07:49 AM »

I decided to do some comparison of my own...

I compared the watch this word  Huh Huh Huh WEIGHT of as many of the kites mentioned.  Euro and Lams kites.  Has anyone done this Huh

The letters Std. Ul Sul ... Is there a standard amongst the kite builders of what defines what they call...Standard, Ultra Light, Super Ultra Light. Huh  Nope...

None at all.. very,very subjective to say the least.  I looked at the weights of the Fearless and Sea Devil... The difference between what Lam calls Ultra Light and Standard is 5 grams HuhHuh  Seriously !!!!

The Ocius Ultra Light is 8.8 oz.  Lam's Fearless Ultra Light is 2 oz heavier >>
Lam's SUL is 7 grams... Ocius Sul is close to 4 oz.

The Solus Std. is 10.7 oz.. The Fearless Ul is 10.8 grams. 

I am trying to compare the Level one TNT's and Hugo's for a builder's standard on what is called a Std. Kite or Ultra light...

I may be wrong on this but I think we as a buying consumer deserves some sort of Builder's Standard.

Someone spends big money to import a Kite from Canada or Europe and because of wind conditions or builder's own desire of "pull".  Then one buys a kite based on the mph that are rated with the kite.  I have read enough post to say that many buyer's are not happy with what is written and their own individual experience with the kite.

The weight of the kite is important when flying.  Depending on the wind...
There is no doubt that I fly Sky Burner Kites.  I have owned and flown Blue Moon Kites.  I didn't like I could not adjust the bridle for my own feel of "pull".

If Sky Burner was not in town would I be flying their kites???  Heck I probably would not be flying..

What I do know is when I read the weights of different kites sometimes,they don't match up.  Std. Ul,Sul...  Go figure.

I also looked at the price of these kites bought outside of CONUS.
 Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

For that money they should fly themselves.  Seriously.  Over $400 for a sport kite ?? No way Jose'... Huh  Saw one in the swap meet going for $500 ...

Most kiter's on this forum feel spending over $200 for a kite is costly.  Spending that kinda of money on Euro money exchange and Import taxes for a kite made from parts bought from the USA.  Is not on their dance card.

My main point is give us a standard weight from Kite builders.  Not by saying on the bottom of the ad ... wind 2-5 mph ... says nothing.
Take the time and compare for yourselves.

One thing always rings true.  When the kite fly's for you.. no matter what it is... It's the best... I have changed my best a few times now... hehehehe.
Kite flying is also subjective to the skills of the pilot...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:53 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 08:16 AM »

The weight matters to some degree, but it's like a car to my mind.  The MPG rating is more important than the weight of the car and neither tells you how it feels to drive the car (acceleration, cornering, torque, road and wheel feedback, etc).   The only way to evaluate it effectively is to drive it or, at least, watch someone else drive it which ca often tell you that may not like it.

Thanks for the comments comparing the fearless and hugo, Mr Derrick, that helps for sure to think about this new kite.  I felt the same way about the TNT - very floaty and much slower in tricking than what I had expected.   

6 kite tom
Kantaxel

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39 AM »

Lets see:  You have SSUL-SUL-Light-Heavy Light-STD, Heavy Standard, and all the vents in between, (at least on Lam's kites-[vents I mean]) so you can imagine how much a serious kite would cost if one had to keep a design within a certain weight perameter.

Lams kites weigh more than most kites within the same realm cuz he knows where to put the weight.  Nope Vert, it's not all about weight...it's more about design.

BTW, I might be wrong, but I don't think Lam makes anything he calls an ultralight.

Now off to beddy bye for me Smiley

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50 AM »

This topic has no real beneficial endpoint. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what works for you and how much you want to get out of your flying sessions. Certainly, depending on which side of the pond you live will pretty much dictate what kite you will fly from a group of high end regional kite makers. From having tried over three dozen sport kites in the last 10 years to me the Fearless and Transformer were my endpoint so I am biased to these two models. I do believe there is a certain minimum one has to spend to get a good flying machine (i.e., custom made kite) and not a mass-produced China kite. After this its round and round we go with our opinions. My only contention here is that when you tell me I do not need to own a SUL or for the Hugo you only need a UL then I am telling myself that this new entry kite has some potential, needs more workings by the kite maker to look at a Vent or SUL version and may indeed be one of the top custom made kites on the other side of the pond to come onto the market. But when Dwayne is shooting down the Fearless/Transformer line to a kite which currently carries only UL/Standard model version one has too question the ability of these kites to handle and trick in very low and high winds in the central window with out much pilot effort. The other thing about the Fearless/Transformer line is the wide wind range each kite has without any bridle adjustments being required. From my expereince the Fearless has a wider wind range since its more massive such as the Vented Light being a good example. I also do not see much differences in the inputs just that the Transformer is quicker being less massive but my inputs into different trick combinations remain the same for both kite models.  Wink

DWayne

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 09:03 AM »

Well Joe, for example, a Transformer Light weighs more than a TNT std. (BTW, Level One has nothing at all to do with the TNT.) and has more weight in the tail than a TNT Strong (High Wind). IMO the Transformer does a few things easily but doesn't do anything particularly well. I flew mine once, went home and scratched my head. Flew it again and sold it. But that's why there are so many different kites out there. Different people like different things from their kites. What I like in a kite has changed over the years. Its likely to change over the next few years as well.
FWIW, kites are a cheap hobby. Even at $500 a pop. I have RC Helis that cost near $2,000 ea. I have a set of golf clubs that cost about the same. So a $500 kite that doesn't incur green fees or need fuel to fly is cheap.

Denny

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document