GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 03:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FLYING WINGS UTOPIA  (Read 3675 times)
Luc.kite
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 24, 2012, 05:38 AM »

Hi everybody,

I'm new here.
I'm french (I apologize for my english...) and i have some old school kites of the last century !!! (MEMF, Prism Eclipse, Illusion and Alien, Flying Wings Utopia, Revolution II, a Benson Gemini STD...) and now, some new french kites (Drôle d'Oiseau Mini Moa UL and Atelier Kites Slash STD).

Some of connectors and pieces of my Utopia are broken or cracking with age (I'll get some photos to you this evening) and i would like to repair or replace them.
I 'm also looking for the factory bridle dimensions (i make scale of knots and forgot the factory settings !).
I also contacted Flying Wings.

The same request for a Sprint by TOTL about the factory bridle dimensions.

Many thanks for your reply.

Good winds...

Luc
HiFly

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:47 AM »

I 'm also looking for the factory bridle dimensions (i make scale of knots and forgot the factory settings !).

http://www.tricktail.de/index.php?id=175

Mike
Luc.kite

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50 AM »

Danke schön
Luc.kite

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Some of connectors and pieces of my Utopia are broken or cracking with age (I'll get some photos to you this evening) and i would like to repair or replace them.

I found into my old kite bag TOTL the fieldcard of the Utopia...

The fieldcard with my annotations :

Connectors for standoffs. All are broken or cracking with age !!! :

Connector of the TailSail to the spine is broken :

One of the connector of the leading edge is broken :
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:05 PM »

Salut Luc !

I'm french

Moi aussi !

Ce modèle, ainsi que certains autres oldtimers commes les cerfs-volants Spectra Sport Kites, les premiers Total Eclispe de Prism et d'autres modèles étaient équipés de connectique SkyShark de mauvaise qualité qui se délitait avec le temps : jonctions vergues/bords d'attaque, croix centrales et têtes de whiskers.

Il faut les remplacer d'urgence car en cas de casse en vol, ça peut faire très mal à la voile... Sad

Pour les remplacer, les jonctions APA type "C" sont le meilleur choix à mon avis.

Tu trouveras des photos de connecteurs SkyShark cassés sur le forum du Bilbo et pour info, les APA "C" sont actuellement soldés dans ce même magasin...

Bons vols.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:50 AM »

Probably what Tataouine said; Replace all those leading edge connectors, they will all break when first assembled. APA's for those, Jaco or the screw on type for replacing the standoff connectors, any suitable size arrow nock for the tail connector will do.

Probably the most visibly unique dual line ever made, it flys a bit different then what your probably used to but I sure enjoy them. Fingertip control and accelerating tugs rather then pops, much like its sibling the Tricktail. Enjoy it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Luc.kite

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:09 AM »

Tataouine,

Thanks a lot...   Smiley

J'ai arrêté de voler pendant plus de 12 ans et ce CV était resté en Normandie...
Quand, j'ai essayé de le remonter, les connecteurs se sont brisés comme du verre !!! (j'ai pensé que l'humidité en était responsable et pas la qualité des connecteurs, peut-être les deux, finalement...).
Je n'ai donc pas pu voler avec !
Sinon, je vais bientôt passer par Vannes voir mon frère... Wink

Cependant, une des pièces, qui sert à rattacher la TailSail à la spine, a une forme assez spécifique.
J'ai envoyé un mail à Flying Wings.

Bon vols.

Luc.kite

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:11 AM »

Probably the most visibly unique dual line ever made, it flys a bit different then what your probably used to but I sure enjoy them. Fingertip control and accelerating tugs rather then pops, much like its sibling the Tricktail. Enjoy it.

I hadn't flown with the Utopia since 12 years, but i remember that the flight was very impressive and the assembly very tricky !!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:13 AM by Luc.kite » Logged
HiFly

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47 AM »

and you will find some extra Utopia infos on grantb.org ... url expired, so you have to use http://archive.org to get them showed

Mike
Luc.kite

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 02:37 AM »

and you will find some extra Utopia infos on grantb.org ... url expired, so you have to use http://archive.org to get them showed

Thanks HiFly.

Edit :
I have some informations on Kite Clique v2.2 (there is the same broken link to grantb.org  Wink) and TrickTail.de.

I'm just searching about the special connector who attach the TailSail to the spine (at the top).

See the picture below :
http://www.whisky-bottle.co.uk/mobius05/kite-reviews/utopia/DSCF1801.JPG

Luc
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:51 AM by Luc.kite » Logged
Luc.kite

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 05:23 AM »

Thank you for your help, i've resolved my problem : i simply put a mini APA for the leading edge into the spine and insert the TailSail into it.

Here, the "new system" for attaching the TailSail to the spine.

The mini APA for the leading edge

New sail grabbers for the spreader of the TailSail

The kite in my living room.

This week-end, i'll be able to test my new Utopia !!! 

This kite has not been used in more than 12 years.
I stopped flying during this time !!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 05:39 AM »

Hey Luc:
Might you be able to scan in the Utopia direction manual and email it to me as a pdf?   I would love to add that to the archive!
bon vent

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Luc.kite

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 05:54 AM »

Hi thief,

I will scan the fieldcard tonight (pictures of the original document are quite dark).
There is some user notes (i'll remove them with Photoshop).

Regards
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 06:28 AM »

Hi thief,

I will scan the fieldcard tonight (pictures of the original document are quite dark).
There is some user notes (i'll remove them with Photoshop).

Regards
Thank you!!!!!!
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
vigli

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 07:35 AM »

Which size of APA You use for spreaders?
Small one or bigger (B or C)
thanks a lot
boris
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document