GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the weight distribution affect the kite pitching?  (Read 928 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: July 22, 2012, 01:54 PM »

I am experimenting with the weight on the Prism Zephyr.  Flying under very strong wind, I add an extra 18g right at the location where the spine and lower spreaders cross each other, totalling 32g together with the 14g stock weight.  The extra weight tames the Zephyr down quite a bit, making it capable of flying in high wind range while at the same time keeping the Zephyr's own personality. 

Then I remove the stock weight at the very end of the tail and keep the 18g weight I add.  The kite does not pitch as good as having just the stock weight on.  It is as if flying with no stock weight but just heavier.

I guess either I have to increase the weight more or move the 18g a bit closer to the tail.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:49 PM by rudyy » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:53 PM »

Check out what you can find on the level one sliding weight system......sounds like something that will interest you.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:59 PM »

Hi thief,  do you have a link to it?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:28 AM »

You should be able to search this forum and/or Google to find more information..... can't just give you all the info Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14 AM »

HQ used a sliding weight system on the Infinity that would be easy to copy, just a couple of LE fittings and some steel rod weights.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Jack in the box had it too

Sine Metu!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:41 AM »

The reason your Zeph won't pitch with the weight at the center T is because your changing the center of gravity and going over the amount of weight the kites design can handle in that spot.  I did a LOT of experimenting with my zephs including working on a vented version.  OTher than the vented version Mark pretty much got it right.  THere are a few bridle tweaks for going ultra low but for the most part don't mess with it.  THe design is sound as is and balances well with the existing weigh for flying to its max range.  THe MOST weight the kite can handle without major detrimental flight affects is 24G.  YOur better off flying with a loose leech line than adding weight to slow it down in higher winds.

However you don't give the wind range  you are trying to fly it in.  If your trying to fly in over 15 then consider yourself lucky your Zeph hasn't imploded, especially with the extra weight you add.  Increasing the wind range on a kite goes beyond weight.  YOu have to look at sail pressure, frame strength and a few other parameters.  I have my vented Zeph flyable up to 28 but only trickable up to around 18 so far and its not quite balanced right for sail pressure.  Oh and thats still with the stock 14g weight.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:29 AM »

The reason your Zeph won't pitch with the weight at the center T is because your changing the center of gravity....

I realise that this sounds a little boastful but I think that this demonstrates that CoG is a complete red herring when it comes to pitch performance.

Feel free to politely argue otherwise but do be prepared for it to be an argument.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document