GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tech FireStorm  (Read 1198 times)
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: July 24, 2012, 01:26 PM »

I never understood why they put the short stick in the top and the long one at the bottom on these.  Makes it nearly impossible to carry around unless you remove the LLE completely.  If you reverse them, the ULE is 50 inches which matches the spine which would allow the kite to be overall shorter with the LLEs loose and tips folded up.

Has anyone reversed them?  What was the impact?  I don't think they trick well anyway, so I am not sure it really matters in terms of lowering the weight along the LE.

I have two of them and since they are big, impressive kites, they will look great in a stack with some long tails.  Just wanted to see if anyone had swapped the ULE/LLE before.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:09 PM »

Not a lot of FireStorms out there big guy.

It is, as you say, a big impressive kite.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:12 PM »

Who's the guy on the far left?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06 PM »

I'm not sure. He may be the one who owned the Firestorm.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:21 PM »

I tried to swap the two leading edge pieces but the nocks at the ends were glued on and I couldn't get them off without destroying the spars.  I ended up ordering new leading edge spars and made them equal length.  It folds up much better now.

Ron
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:58 PM »

I've also heard of folks making a 3 piece LE for it, not sure how that worked out though.  I sold mine awhile back.

-Mike
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Yeah...in here Rob suggests 3 piece skyshark frames....
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7498.0

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ndcmpc

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I think I will try it to see how it works out if I can get the fitting loose without tearing up the rod.

No big advantage to going with a 3 piece since the spine is 50" (matches the LLE).  I think P400s might be a bit too flexible with this long of a LE anyway.  I do have a bunch of Nitros, but I don't have anything to put in the middle unless I put an insert in the Nitros and neck them down with inserts to work with a P400 in the middle.

I just saw on the Skyshark page that the 8P has the same 8mm diameter as the current frame and comes in 42" sections.  That would be long enough to make a two piece frame and has the added bonus of reusing the same fitting.  I might look into that.

BTW, I see the P*X frames are still listed on the Skyshark page.  Did they start making them again or they just didn't take the previous information down?

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Who's the guy on the far left?

Could be Andrew McIvor

Allen, AKA kitehead
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:31 AM »

I never understood why they put the short stick in the top and the long one at the bottom on these.  Makes it nearly impossible to carry around unless you remove the LLE completely.  If you reverse them, the ULE is 50 inches which matches the spine which would allow the kite to be overall shorter with the LLEs loose and tips folded up.

Sounds a lot like the way the old Prism Flashlights were sparred. You almost had to remove the LLE to fold it reasonably. Let us know what you end up doing, Doug.

Bob
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:50 AM »

No big advantage to going with a 3 piece since the spine is 50" (matches the LLE).  I think P400s might be a bit too flexible with this long of a LE anyway. 

I bought a Firestorm sail a few years ago and dreamed up a frame out of stuff I mostly had sitting around. I used P300s in the LE but stuffed them with .2400 pultrude for about 2/3 of the LE. Works great. The spreaders were harder and are still not quite right. Stuffed P300 in the middle and 7PTs on either side. Too bendy at the ends. It's a BIG kite.

It's a lot lighter than stock. Flys very easy in low wind. The hybrid LEs might reduce the weight on a stock kite somewhat, but I don't know about comparative stiffness, I've never had hands on those big 8mm sticks.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ndcmpc

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:09 PM »

I have a couple bad LLEs, so I have to try something.  Plus I want to get rid of the extra long ULE/short LLE setup to make it easier to break down.  I think I am going to try the 8Ps in the LE and use the 8mm pultruded for spreaders.  The extra pultruded LLEs I have on hand can be used for spare spreaders. 

Waiting for Steve to get back with me on availability/cost.  You lurking out there Steve, buddy?  Check your email and get back with me.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Reply sent Doug.  Got what you need.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
ndcmpc

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Thanks Steve.  For some reason my emails are not coming though to my phone very regularly.  Frustrating.

Paypal sent.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document