GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 09:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inland vs Coastal wind  (Read 2291 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: July 26, 2012, 08:34 AM »

Just want to rant.

I am living in Buffalo area, and the wind here is crap.  I hardly get a nice breeze for me to fly (no wonder flying duals and revs here are not so popular).  It is either blowing like over 20mph or nothing at all.  Yes, there is occasional 8-14mph wind but most of the time it is bumpy on and off.

I still remember when I lived in Vancouver, BC, the wind is always nice and smooth.  I really miss that.  That is the kind of wind I need.  Cry
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:46 PM »

On vacation to Utah. Figured the great outdoors in the west would have some good wind. I saw the tree limbs dancing in the breeze this morning, guessing 5-10 mph, but I had to wait until the kid had finished his morning nap, because the wife insisted on coming with me to watch me fly. Once he was up, guess what? 0-2 mph winds. No SUL in the bag, and even so, wouldn't be worth the effort in this heat. Tongue

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:01 PM »

Just want to rant.

I am living in Buffalo area, and the wind here is crap.  I hardly get a nice breeze for me to fly (no wonder flying duals and revs here are not so popular).  It is either blowing like over 20mph or nothing at all.  Yes, there is occasional 8-14mph wind but most of the time it is bumpy on and off.

You are always welcome in Las Vegas. You will have not problem ajusting to our crappy wind  Tongue
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:28 PM »

On vacation to Utah. Figured the great outdoors in the west would have some good wind. I saw the tree limbs dancing in the breeze this morning, guessing 5-10 mph, but I had to wait until the kid had finished his morning nap, because the wife insisted on coming with me to watch me fly. Once he was up, guess what? 0-2 mph winds. No SUL in the bag, and even so, wouldn't be worth the effort in this heat. Tongue

I think it's super cool that your wife wanted to watch you fly your kites! Sorry it didn't work out the way you hoped...

This morning I checked the wind conditions here in your homeland (D.C. metro) and they were barely SUL and I'm being generous. Then, after 5 pm, the winds picked up and, although variable and blustery, they were averaging 8-10 MPH (windmeter range: 1-16 MPH!). I was finally able to fly my WidowMaker (Grin) and managed to perform several axels on both sides! Actually, I was amazed to discover that, when the wind died down was a near perfect time to attempt those tricks and, surprisingly, they worked (mostly)! I even did a couple just a few feet above the the ground! No 1/2 axels or cascades yet, but I can feel it coming... Wink

I managed a few turtles and flares, but couldn't get out of them to save my life! Either the kite just floated to the ground or the lines wrapped around the leading edge and down she came. I also need a lot of work on ground control. I still haven't figured out the correct procedure to recover from a belly landing. I keep trying to cartwheel, but half the time, I end up with the nose facing me and having to walk shamefully to flip it over! Sad

Interestingly, because the winds were gusting over 15 MPH, I started on my 175# line (100'), but quickly found it very difficult to keep the kite in the air. Damn, those lines are HEAVY! Huh  I then switched to my 100# Skybond (100') and that made a hugely positive difference. I flew for 2.5 hours though it was definitely a challenge trying to adjust to the sudden and abrupt wind changes.

I bought a set of 175# because Devin mentioned that he routinely flew his standards on that line. Having tried it, it seems so hard to conceive! I couldn't believe how much weight they contributed although, with his skills, in consistent 10-15 MPH winds they probably enable him to trick in the power zone without having to move a lot.

Ken

P.S. I just heard thunder (10:30 pm EDT), which probably explains the unusual summer wind conditions this evening!

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:51 PM »

I've never noticed a difference. Every time I go to the beach the wind is just as crappy as it is here in the valley.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:01 PM »

I've never noticed a difference. Every time I go to the beach the wind is just as crappy as it is here in the valley.

Denny

Was the beach in UtaH?   Grin

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05 PM »

I wouldn't know coastal winds, I don't venture outward. But the Lake Erie area winds aren't too bad for me, I don't know the difference. wind is wind kite is kite.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:53 PM »

Dudes,

When it's coming off the ocean, we're talking flying a 180 degree window where the wind 1 foot off the ground is the same speed as the wind 100' off the ground all over the window and in all spots in between.  Generally I've only found this to be true when the wind has some strength to it, say 5 mph and up, but the light stuff is also super smooth.

It just doesnt get any better than that!

if anything, my primary complaint is that it can get pretty strong. 

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 05:00 AM »

During the summer, I fly inland winds to avoid the people at the beach. I'd rather fly in crappy winds than have people walking around. The difference in flying is stunning. Wind is wind ? I would have to disagree with that... I would've quit flying by now if I were exiled to flying inland wind all year round.
Thank goodness everyone around here forgets about the beach Sept.-May !

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 05:59 AM »

Well, I have to say that these inland breezes really are an impediment. My learning has certainly been slowed down by inconsistent winds and not many people to learn from. I have picked up more SLK's and am going to try landboarding, but I'm committed to stunt kites. I hope to keep at it and enjoy the time I can get at the shores. It appeals to the green in me. I like being outdoors in all weather and it doesn't cost me any electricity.

Maybe I'll get to move to the northwest shores at some point, but for now I'll have to dodge tornados and ride summer thermals to keep the kites in the air.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 06:27 AM »

Dudes,

When it's coming off the ocean, we're talking flying a 180 degree window where the wind 1 foot off the ground is the same speed as the wind 100' off the ground all over the window and in all spots in between.

I've heard that story a hundred times. Every time I go to the beach its either bumpy gusty winds off a storm or fogged in and dead calm. In almost 5 years I've flown in smooth wind once, and it wasn't near a beach.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 06:34 AM »

Beach wind has a wide window and is consistent all the way to the ground. The problem becomes when it is 15-20mph constant, then it becomes time for heavy lines, wind breaks.

Sine Metu!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 08:38 AM »

I wanna know how Devin does it. He's inland too, for the most part.
tpatter

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 09:43 AM »

Inland can be ok and sometimes even very very good.  What I've found is that it usually has no consistency, so you have to figure out where the 'good' wind is.  Where I usually fly, that window is very small, but you become very good at staying in it.   On a good day, it will bumpily blow in a consistent direction at least.

But, it's like weight training - when you do find good wind, it all seems like childs play - everything becomes more predictable and easier to do.

I get what you are saying Denny - I have driven for hours only to be treated with bad winds (too much, too little, wrong direction, storms) and wished that I had just stayed home (well, almost).   But the best flying that I've ever had has always been off water - super clean.   

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 09:46 AM »

Beach wind has a wide window and is consistent all the way to the ground. The problem becomes when it is 15-20mph constant, then it becomes time for heavy lines, wind breaks.

A smooth 15 is one of my favorites.  With a good standard or vent you can cut diamonds doing precision with that sail pressure.   Also perfect for comete and insane. 

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change