GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 07:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inland vs Coastal wind  (Read 2246 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 09:12 PM »

It's a question of fetch.

If you have a BIG inland flying area that allows the wind to smooth out, then Bob's your uncle.

If you fly in a 1/4 mile bowl you're screwed.

The same is true at the beach. While the wind is generally better overall, crappy topography is crappy topography.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:14 PM by JimB » Logged
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 07:13 PM »

I have been blessed with finding a great field just 4 blocks from my house.  A high school, an elementry school, a bus lot and an airport  all together with the buildings around the perimeter and the fields in the center.  It has made flying 10x more enjoyable.  I will hopefully get back to the beach soon(hint:tmadz:-)  )   
  I will say poor winds have helped my skills some.
jim-bo
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 05:21 AM »

I also think that inland winds have made me a better pilot.  I just returned from a trip to the west coast of OR. USA and the flying was much easier. Fades just happened when you thought about them.
But I live 900 miles inland and that is the wind I have if I want to fly kites.   However,choosing your flying field has much to do with your quality of wind.   The local park with trees all around--not so good.  But if you only have 15 minutes that is what you have to use.  I prefer a 40 acre lawn that is adjacent to a college campus;  it is much more to my liking.
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 06:48 AM »

I am sure there are differecnes at the beaches also based on location.
I live in texas and winds hee are challenging. Either1-2 up high, or 15-30

After having spent a week at the beach, (gulf of mexico, hot and humid) I had days where I could not keep anything in the air, but mostly af ter breakfast, it was rev or nothing due to high winds.

Window was consistent top to bottom similar speed, but other Than that, they still went up and down, and ahead some turbulence.

Guess its down to beach location and skill level. I stink...

Kirb
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 07:42 AM »

As with any other sport how good you become depends on practice and your tools. Wind is one of these tools. It just take longer to trick good in inland winds. For me its the kite, the lines I used and their length and the wind pattern on the beach that day which I always check on-line. I fly at North Beach in Asbury Park, NJ. Each year its getting more crowded as this beach city is making its come back. The beach I go to is called North Beach or Dog Beach. Five years ago there was maybe 20 dogs on the beach now there is over a hundred ... but good news ... after 8:30AM the head lifeguard ensures all dogs are off the beach (local rule - no dogs on the beach after 8:30AM) ... so I usually own the beach to 11:00AM. Usually people start encroaching on the beach at me at this time. Best conditions are low tide and a N, S or E wind. West winds which are prevalent (75%) are also good since there are no structures on the beach at this location. After Labor Day I move down near my beach house on First Ave. as dogs are then allowed on the beach all day at Dog Beach (8th Ave.) after Labor Day. The point of this detail message is I take what the beach gives me each day ... its a tough sport ... to break down and learn the tricks and to secure a beach spot without outside human and animal (dog) interferences during the low wind summer months. Inland or coastal does not matter if you can find the perfect wind, open space and no outside interferences.

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 10:58 PM »

I also think that inland winds have made me a better pilot.

+1

In our local low winds 90 wind shift are standard. 180 common. Last Thursday was a first. The wind shifted 360 so I was able to fly facing North, East, South and West. While a pain, was was able to keep flying.  Wink

Yesterday was the worst day every for flying.  Embarrassed
I was practicing backspins. With rapid and constant changes in speed and direction I was only able to get into a couple of fades. So I practice my backspins using a fade launch.  Grin

I'm thinking if I can handle this I can handle just about anything.

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 09:22 AM »

"The wind shifted 360 so I was able to fly facing North, East, South and West."

I had one of those mornings at the Manzanita, OR beach in July. Early morning 0-2 mph flying a SUL with wind from north, south, then east for about ten minutes each direction. After about ten minutes from the east, I thought it must be time for wind from the west ... mission accomplished. Fortunately, there weren't any long lull periods between puffs and not much down time at all. Still able to find zen.

The downside for that beach is that when it does decide to come from the west, it isn't long until it is 20+ mph. This year had only four days in the 20s and 30s from 10am on. Last year it was there every day. Lots of time on a vented Rev2.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change