GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 04:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting My AKA Membership Lapse  (Read 11762 times)
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 12:19 PM »

I wonder how many people on this forum bought a kite because they saw one being flown at a kite festival?

I do it all of the time and wish I could do it more. Granted, I can watch a video on the Internet but it's just not the same. Also, when I go to a festival I can simply look around like a kid in a candy store. I can also talk to the people that own the kite for more information.

Yeah, but you're not the typical case. You're also not a "new person". You've experienced competitions and festivals and know the difference.

It used to frustrate me how many people would post to forums, hang out in chat rooms, and watch hours of kite videos on their computers sooner than they'd even consider driving an hour to go to a real event. Eventually I got tired of ranting about how "internet kiting" was killing "real kiting". It's not not like ours is the only hobby that's experiencing it, it's just that a small, "niche" activity like kiting is going to suffer from it much faster than something much bigger and well-established.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:48 PM by RonG » Logged
RonG
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27 PM »

Well I met one last weekend,

Look, I'm sure we can all name one, or two, or more people who bought a kite because they went to a festival. Not surprising that those among us who attend kite events know people who got involved because they happened to go to those events.

Given how few organized events are left compared to 10 years ago, I doubt many manufacturers or retailers would still be around if that was the primary stream of new buyers.
alleykat
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 12:41 PM »

I renew my membership most years and can remember that seeing an event sponsored by an AKA retailer got me into flying kites. I can also remember as RonG stated about there being events almost weekly to go to. Most people flying today do not remember having to decide which event you would attend for the weekend because there was more than one going on.  Now a days I am lucky to get an event once a month in my area.  We still get together and fly for fun around here but not as often as we used to.  Just one of the things that happen as you get older and slower.

Alleykat
Field of Strings
Darkside Newbie
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 04:15 PM »

I've read all of the discussions regarding why a person should join the AKA or continue to renew their AKA membership. Some of you say that your only benefit of being and AKA member, is the AKA Kiitng Magazine, and that the annual dues you pay are not worth the cost of the magazine. Some former AKA members that used to compete in sport kite competitions, say that since they no longer compete anymore, receiving the magazine is not enough reason to renew their AKA membership. 

The AKA is an extremely important part of kite flying, kite festivals, workshops, school programs, kite flyer and kite event organizer support, information, etc... and most of you benefit from it in some way, whether you realize it or not.

I was AKA Region 8 Director in the late 90's, and am the current AKA Region 8 Director. There are a lot of behind the scenes things that the AKA and/or it's Board of Directors do to help with the overall success of kiting, that everyone here benefits from, or has benefited from. Regional Directors such as myself work daily answering e-mails, phone calls, text, social network messages, from kite flyers, event organizers, schools, etc...  needing help with various kite related activities. Many events start with new event organizers contacting the AKA about how to organize a festival, workshop, fun fly, kite club, etc...  Many events whether AKA sanctioned or not, where given a helping hand by the AKA, and without the AKA's guidance, many events or kite related activities would never have been created in the first place. Whether it's through word of mouth help, or people using the AKA's many information resources, the AKA provides help to all who need help with kite related activities. The AKA does this for members and non-members alike. When someone contacts me about kite related questions, I don't ask if they're an AKA member before I help them. I do it because I love kites and everything involved with kites. Since 1996 I've maintained the AKA Region 8 Kite Events calendar website as a way of giving the AKA members I represent a little something extra. I maintain the Junction Kite Retreat website for free, because there was a need. I used to maintain the Dead Bird Buggy Bash website, because there was a need. I organize a local kite festival because it gets more people interested in kiting. I do school workshops for children, because there is a need. I do this all for free. All AKA BOD members are volunteers, with the exception of the AKA Executive Director, and the AKA Kiting Magazine Editor, and many BOD members help give back to kiting just like I do, because there's a need.

It's sad to see some kiters that will only support the AKA, if what the AKA does, instantly benefits them.

Without AKA members, the AKA would cease to exist, and most of the behind the scenes benefits of the AKA's BOD would not happen. The AKA needs you! The AKA needs people like you to help volunteer. Without AKA member's annual membership dues, the AKA couldn't afford to publish a magazine, pay for event insurance, or pay the many cost of running the association.

The AKA is it's members!

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 04:23 PM »

What I'm now seeing in this thread has degraded to what most of the naysayers have attributed for their reason to not support the AKA:   Politics.......

Why don't we start talking about who we're voting for in the presidential race?

Whoa!  That's against Forum guidlines!  Lips sealed

You should have your answer by now John, one way or the other.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+76)

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 05:58 PM »

i joined aka about 10 years ago and loved it then my wife got involved in the board she was Secretary for prez and we were involved in the politics and at that time there was alot of politics name calling and stuff happening that is normal in any organization look at the upcoming elections and at times it gets ugly all that works out for the better in the end.. that said
i too thought all i got was a magazine there is alot more good that comes from aka i have become a kite builder and get new ideas from magazine not copying anything i just don't have imagination like some people without aka most festivals wouldn't exist without insurance it would cost thousands to get it on your own and most city officials want insurance because most festivals are at beaches parks and so on there is so much that the aka does most members don't see and will never understand unless they get involved at that level become a rd get involved on boards im not plugging the aka because we have had our disagreements however i get over them and still love kiting the aka and all they do for all kiting there has always be controversy that is how we grow my opinion and its just my opinion  if we love kiting we should support  it in any way weather financial or our time it does alot more than we think

Steve & Sherri
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 09:05 PM »

I've never been an AKA member. I have always loved flying kites as a little kid in elementary school up to the present time.
I have always had some type of kite to fly. I have four children and they all have a kite or two that I have bought for them and taught them how to fly it. It is rare that I ever see any other kids flying kites around where I live.

When TGunn mentioned "School workshops for children" that was the deciding factor for me.

Where do I sign-up???

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09 PM »

Where do I sign-up???
http://www.aka.kite.org/

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Desertflier

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30 PM »

Thanks for that  Wink 
I have family in Pleasant Grove and Provo Utah. I'll have to look you up the next time we're over visiting.  Smiley

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
TGunn

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 10:05 PM »

Thanks for that  Wink 
I have family in Pleasant Grove and Provo Utah. I'll have to look you up the next time we're over visiting.  Smiley

Desertflier:
If you have family in Utah, you should try and Make a visit to them and y'all attend the Antelope Island Balloon & Kite Festival that is coming up soon.  http://antelopeislandstampede.com/   

The AKA website also has a nice manual, free for download, called "Kites in the Classroom".  Download it, share one with the local school teachers, and it helps the teachers develope a nice kite making program in their classes.   http://www.aka.kite.org/resources/publications/cat_view/134-main/123-manuals
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:11 PM by TGunn » Logged

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
boomertype

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 10:10 PM »

Quote from: TGunn link=topic=8093.msg71510#msg71510
The AKA website also has a nice manual, free for download, called "Kites in the Classroom". Download it, share one with the local school teachers, and it helps the teachers develope a nice kite making program in their classes.

Plus - every April is National Kite Month. 
The AKA has resources for April too.
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 10:22 PM »

I'm happily ignorant to AKA politics... and I choose to remain so!

The quarterly magazines are wonderfully done and I look forward to reading (and seeing) all the kiting events I'm unable to attend and kites I normally wouldn't have a chance to see!

The portion of my dues that helps defray insurance at the festivals I attend, seems minor compared to other sports and hobbies I'm involved in, additionally, the 10% discount usually makes up for the entire $40 in dues spent each year for me.

If not for the AKA, what organization would step-up and take over? Now-a-days it's hard to find any persons or organization that will take the time and effort to do the things the AKA seems to accomplish.

...and as far as politics in kiting ...(as I was told some years ago)... "They're Kites not Kidneys!" ...Time to drop the politics (as there's already way too much in our daily lives) and just have fun and WINDerFULL times with a whole lot of great people!

I will continue to support this sport I love... including my nominal dues to AKA!  Smiley

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
firecsi

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 11:20 AM »

Yes Mike Suzette & I are members of the AKA and our shop is a Merchant Member.

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
johnfarl

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59 PM »

The AKA is the core.  Without it kites are just cloth in the sky.  Just ask what would it be like without AKA.

I am sure some of the big festivals would continue because they are community, chamber of commerce driven.  But over time there would be less and less happening.  There would be less and less interconnection of kite fliers and kite shops would all be toy stores.

No individual needs AKA but we as kiters do need something like AKA.  Because this is an organization of people there will always be some sort of displeasure with the poltics.  But it is not that bad.

Price well could be less but could be a lot more.   I have seen other organizations charge a lot more for a lot less.  Use the money to promote agendas of the board. 

When we were starting the Fort Collins festival the first thing we did was check on the information available from AKA.  Top notch info was available.  Plus the people connections were very important.  Now we have a festival with 6000 attendees and have a place where a few of us kite addicts can show off our hobby.  Thanks AKA.

John 
Sketch

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56 AM »

I feel your pain...
For example... over the years....I had been a competition CLPA flyer and have designed many models and have published a couple of my more successful winning designs in various model magazines.
For example of how our AMA included insurance worked during those years.
http://modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspz
The AMA insurance still today  is somewhat important..however if one reads the small print carefully one will notice  that the insurance we receive with our membership ONLY CAN BE USED AFTER YOUR OWN FAMILY AND PERSONAL INSURANCE PLANS (HOMEOWNERS) ETC. IS USED FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!

For example...many years ago, one of our  members was flying a flying demo in a large football stadium filled with people..
HE WAS FLYING A RADIO CONTROLLED "MODEL LAWNMOWER" which he lost flight control...HIT A BUNCH OF SPECTATORS...
Only after his homeowners insurance took care of the some of the damage which was limited to only One hundred thousand...then the AMA INSURANCE PLAN was to then kick in...
HOWEVER THE AMA NEVER STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE! FINALLY AFTER MUCH $$$ WAS BLOWN AWAY...THE FOOTBALL STADIUM OWNERS GAVE UP WAITING AND PAID ALL THE EXPENSES WITH THEIR OWN INSURANCE.

Goes to show you...just how much the BIG MONEY CHASING LAWYERS LOVE situations like this?  Huh Embarrassed

Sad
BOTTOM LINE:
YES! Although there is a major flaw in so many of these insurance plan schemes...(ESPECIALLY) by some of these risk management insurance plans scammmmmer  :'(
.Our organization and others like us still need and must have  them available in  order to sell and promote sporting and social events to cities throughout the world. Kiss

THE OLYMPICS ON TV....watching events such as cycle racing etc through the streets filled with crowds of observers..truly must make those ALBULANCE CHASING LAWYERS DROOL BIG TIME?  Cheesy Cheesy Wink
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:33 AM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document