GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting My AKA Membership Lapse  (Read 12269 times)
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+78)

« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2012, 06:26 PM »

My husband has replied to this thread already but I wanted to share my own thoughts on this topic.

If you want to compete you need to be a member.

For me I have been a kite shop owner, festival organizer, national champion and board of directors member. I let my membership lapse. You can get insurance for events with out the AKA I got insurance for 2 years worth of fitness events for 200.00. KK will sell you affordable event insurance.

We still fly and now build kites. Not to many festivals in our area.. it's a lot of work and not to many people are up to the task. Promoting the sport? Sorry I can't tell someone it's gonna cost you 250.00 for a sport kite, 1000.00 in regional festivals.... oh and then you got to lose a week at work and Grand Nationals are gonna cost you another grand.

I fly as often as I can, I put as many kites in the sky as I can.. I put a yo yo winder or my sport kite handles in anyone's hands that will take it.

Steve & Sherri
kiteman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Sounds to me John that you should man up and join. Your a somewhat well off retired person like I hope to be. I would gladly join then. Better than the NRA!! This country is in decline and needs help. I guess we do what we can do!!

Don Smiley

Don
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2012, 06:57 PM »

my last aka membership was for the aka convention in seaside or. in 1992? only time i ever competed nationally , but its good to support the things you love , and if johns in im in , he just loves kiting and doesnt care bout the other crap , just my 2 cents , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2012, 07:05 PM »

Joining the AKA is going to save the country ?
Really ?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DWayne

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07 PM »

To be honest, if it wasn't for the talk on this forum, I'd never know the AKA existed.

Denny

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2012, 07:14 PM »

To be honest, if it wasn't for the talk on this forum, I'd never know the AKA existed.

Denny
If it wasn't for this forum we wouldn't know you existed either.  Sad
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24 PM »

The irony is that the talking is all happening here. Anyone who's been on the AKA forum would know that almost *no* talking goes on there. The sound of crickets.

This forum will do just fine with or without an AKA, and that's fine by me.
DWayne

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Denny

Do you have a point ?
Its people like you that have kept me away from the AKA.

Denny

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2012, 08:44 PM »

Denny

Do you have a point ?
Its people like you that have kept me away from the AKA.

Denny
Just trying to add a touch of humor.
The AKA is full of people that like to laugh.
Guess you wouldn't fit.
DWayne

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 09:31 PM »

I'm happy not fitting in or supporting the AKA in any way. I'd much rather my money went to support kite shops and kite makers than a bunch of over inflated egos.

Denny

kiteman

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2012, 06:16 AM »

Boomertype, that was funny! I didn't mean joining would save this country. Any act of kindness won't hurt.

Don
rncembal

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47 AM »

Denny
Really?
This forum is the result of work by AKA members, Steve now Dan before. You fly the kites that were developed by early AKA members. Doing tricks perfected for AKA competitions. The fact that times have changed and we find information and socialize differently than in the past should lead you to discount the influences the AKA had on the kiting world you know or what it may provide in the future.
Ron pointed out more discussion here than on the AKA site. I'm very guilty of that I just can't spend that time on several forums. I  have facebook account and I read and post here. That enough of a time suck. I know there are many other forums and groups.
 To label the AKA as all about egos is kind of douchey. The vast majority of members are not into the politics and leadership they don't all compete. They are into kites and wanting to share that. No you don't need to be a member to go out and do that. You can have an extra kite to share and help people having trouble flying. 
As a kite person more than a kite industry person I support a centralized clearing house for our group. I also support the anarchy of many clubs with no dues and meetings along with those that have big treasuries and do all sorts or work. If you want to not be a member fine but it's about you,not the we that choose to be part of it because we'd love to have you included.

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2012, 09:12 AM »

I renewed my AKA membership a while back.  I think the magazines are still coming so I guess it is still current. 

I re-upped and got my girlfriend to join after taking part in a private conversation with two prominent leaders of AKA.  The annual convention was coming to the local beach and I was waffling about paying the money to officially attend the convention.  These two leaders told me that people should not be "freeloaders" and should pay for the convention if they plan to be at the same beach. 

I was happy to see AKA coming to the local beach.  But since I was not competing, since I had very little time off work, and because I would be spending the time as a vacation with the GF, it was hard to justify paying for the convention.  In the end, we joined and I paid the money for the convention mostly so my GF and I could go to dinner with all our friends.    It was a ton of money with virtually no benefit to me.  I regret that decision.  The statement by these two leaders that if someone shows up to a public beach where the AKA is being held, and doesn't pay for a convention, he is a freeloader really stuck with me.  On the field, I never stepped foot inside the roped off area. I did not participate in a single workshop.  Freeloader?  I've spent thousands of dollars at kite shops.

On the field, I heard one of these two leaders on the PA system saying fields were reserved for AKA flyers, not "some yahoo off the street".  This was announced to the crowd.  If I were a spectator, that attitude would have been a total turn off.  I'd have thought, you can keep your little organization.  Another popular sentiment among organizers was that the convention is for the "best of the best" and the general public should find a different occassion to participate in kiting.   Is exclusivity a good thing when it comes to the AKA convention?

I've been part of volunteer organizations.  I know it is thankless work.  But there has to be little humility.

If JB is running I'll back him. 
Maybe we can get some changes in place that would help streamline competitions. 
Maybe a more humble, more open attitude will help grow the organization. 
Perhaps the AKA forum would become a fun place. 
Maybe parts of the AKA conventions could be open to yahoos of the street, where it could serve to draw people in rather than leave a nasty taste in their mouths.

Time to make sure my membership is current.

Dave

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2012, 05:39 PM »

Honestly if John becomes president I'd renew. I trust where he wants kiting to go, and the effort he puts into it.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2012, 05:54 PM »

I have been a longtime member of the AKA and will continue to do so.My family membership expires in 2015.I support John Baressi in his bid for AKA president.I did however elect not to renu my WKA membership.I just feel WKA isnt right for us and meetings are 2 hours away even though headquarters are only 30 min..

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change