GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 04:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting My AKA Membership Lapse  (Read 11154 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2012, 06:37 PM »

I re-upped and got my girlfriend to join after taking part in a private conversation with two prominent leaders of AKA.  The annual convention was coming to the local beach and I was waffling about paying the money to officially attend the convention.  These two leaders told me that people should not be "freeloaders" and should pay for the convention if they plan to be at the same beach. 
While I think it's correct that AKA reps _need_ to push people paying for the convention if they are going, I don't agree with the cost or the current set up. As I said, I completely understand the argument for the high fee.

I agree that this really does serve to alienate many AKA members. I know of _many_ people who don't go... but would go if they could pay a reduced price. But this has been discussed, discussed and discussed some more. I think many other things need to change before this will be possible. Dumping an over paid festival manager is/was a good start.

If JB is running I'll back him. 
Maybe we can get some changes in place that would help streamline competitions. 
Maybe a more humble, more open attitude will help grow the organization. 
Perhaps the AKA forum would become a fun place.
If I understand it correctly, John is running unopposed.

I think John will make a good President. But also don't know that anyone who wanted the position would make a bad president. But keep in mind, the President of the AKA does not call the shots... just ask anyone who has been President. It takes the the entire board backing the President for much to change. The more the President wants to change things (I fear) the more difficult it will be to get those things changed.

But as I've said before, these things don't bother me personally. For me, it's not what the AKA is about and it does not affect me at all. I support the AKA for the reason's I mentioned in prior posts and if something good happens, GREAT. If it does, no big deal.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2012, 02:48 AM »

But keep in mind, the President of the AKA does not call the shots... just ask anyone who has been President. It takes the the entire board backing the President for much to change. The more the President wants to change things (I fear) the more difficult it will be to get those things changed.

+1

If they don't walk in with a hand-picked Board (and most don't/can't), don't count on much change at all.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Good deal Tobie. I'm happy to see you jumping in with both feet and more. Although we haven't made it over to Clear Lake yet to meet you I think you might make a great district rep, new ideas and all.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:26 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tcope

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2012, 10:45 AM »

I called Mel and told him i was interested. I live in Clearlake California in Region 11 and did not want my area to go unrepresented. I don't know anything about the passed goings on of the AKA I just know there are some great people out there in the kiting world and I would like to add to that list.

This was just sent out from the AKA:

"Ballots are in the mail! Due to a by-law change, only those that were members as of August 1 will receive a ballot. If you do notreceive by September 1, please contact the office. Please be sure to vote.

Region 11 will need to write in a candidate. There are rumors of a volunteer. Watch your email for an update"

You might be this "volunteer" but if you are running (even unopposed) the I don't think you'd be "volunteering for the RD position. You may want to follow up on your request to run. Perhaps you are already working on this situation.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
DGomberg

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10 PM »

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned it is time for AKA to once again re-invent itself. Change or become obsolete. John is in a good place to make those changes. Right person for the job.

His success will depend in large part on his ability to recruit qualified and hard working officers, to develop a vision, and to build a consensus among the larger Board. I wish him success.

Someone mentioned the "best of the best" at convention. That was originally a change to address the problem of 200 sport kite fliers showing up ready to compete at nationals. We needed to know how many people were coming so we could manage time and arrange judges for heats. But the problem of too many competitors is an anachronism. So John may want to change that.

Overpaid convention manager? Organizing the convention is incredibly complex. Contracts, meals, fields, auditoriums, workshops, meetings. It is like doing Wildwood, Fort Worden, and the Lincoln City Indoor Festival all at once! A manager's cost, spread over 400 attendees is not a problem. Spread over 200 is a big problem. We'll see how we do this year with a volunteer in charge. The big question is, who will volunteer next year?

Convention costs are also a function of what facilities charge us. Wildwood Convention Center and meals were costly. Enid is cheap -- but I'd be surprised if we get 200 people there.

Freeloaders? I hate that kind of divisive rhetoric. But when registered conventioneers are paying all the costs, there is natural resentment when other kiters show up to enjoy the atmosphere -- especially when some try to edge onto the fields or workshops.

But calling people names is unnecessary.

We always say "It's just kites." But AKA is a corporation and needs to be carefully managed. Some of you may remember when I was elected in 2000 and discovered we were losing money every month and would be out of reserves in eight weeks. We needed to make big changes fast-- and we did!  Had a great Exec, fine Board, and good staff.

Good people can disagree about practices and priorities. Sadly, we've become disagreeable about how we do that.

Again, I wish John and his team well.

David
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Thanks to those who have expressed their confidence... As for anyone who isn't so sure or just doesn't care, I guess there's nothing to say - only the coming year(s) will tell, assuming I'm elected.

I know 95% of the folks who will be helping to drive this thing in 2013, I've reconnected and spoken with nearly everyone over the past 2 days and I'm really pleased with the general response and outlook for the future.

I'm not going to "campaign" (unopposed or otherwise), and I'm not going to ask for your vote...

That's your business - mine will be to try and help mediate and direct the coming administration so that we can completely and finally move past the politics and in-fighting, most of which to speak quite frankly, can be heavily attributed to:

- Old personal conflicts
- Old organizational battles fought, long since gone
- Tireless, thankless work from many for relatively little tangible return
- A general dissatisfaction with the state of organized kiting in North America

None of that has to do with NOW, or the long series of small stones that need to be turned for change.

I'm juggling the mix of officer, director and committee representation to keep the institutional knowledge (I've been 3 years absent from the board and have never dealt with contracts, etc)...

I'm also working to get an influx of fresh perspectives and some real, tangible action from ACTIVE fliers that you'll have to judge for yourself over the time it takes to accomplish.

Honestly, I'm going to let you have it...

I don't care what folks think about me or my abilities, it has no bearing on what I'll likely have to contend with.

All I'll have to offer is proof of action - so I guess we'll see, for better or worse. Smiley

There are no other candidates, so if nothing else, I'm the best of what's left.

(ha, I should go make buttons with that slogan)

Thanks all, just for being here - ever onward.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 05:27 PM by Kitelife » Logged

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2012, 06:20 PM »

JB,

You dont need to solicite my vote...

You'll get it, Buddy!

thanks!!
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+65)

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2012, 07:03 PM »

i had chimed in earlier and also let my membership lapse now that john is running i will be acctivating my membership again not blowing smoke up any bodys butt i personally think john is just what the aka needs new blood aka is a great organization i left for personal reasons maybe that is not right and i am sorry for that

steve

Steve & Sherri
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2012, 07:17 PM »

JB ~ You've got a lot on your plate here! I am pleased that you are willing to take-on the challenge! I look forward to seeing what your energy can produce!

Go Get 'Em (us)!   Grin 

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2012, 08:42 PM »

Got my ballot in the mail today,

looking forward to 2013 convention

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

tcope

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 09:08 AM »

This topic is a little old and I have mentioned this but today I'm getting emails about new kite events. Let me ask this question... if you attend any kite festival/event, how many would not exist if it were not for the AKA insurance? Think about that for a moment.

In addition to that, how many kite events would not exist if it were not for the AKA? Not just the ones that you attend but all of the events.

Is it worth $45/year for you to know that you are supporting all of the kite fliers that attend all of those events? What about all of the future kiters that attend those events? That is, those who see how wonderful kite flying can be and they go out and buy a kite. They buy a kite from those that make kites.

Is this worth $45/year? But wait... there is more. If you join, the AKA will through in 4 editions of the Kiting magazine... just for going the AKA!  Smiley

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2012, 02:28 PM »

Well said Todd - in this regard, I think it comes down to the distinction between folks who purely fly for themselves and don't have any interest in the "kiting movement" versus folks that want to preserve and grow kiting as a greater vehicle for art, culture, sport and international interaction.

To each their own, it's now up to the AKA (it's collective volunteers - folks like us) to revamp their value for members, and for those who have some faith to jump in behind and push (or get up front and lead - ahem), even simply by way of membership and support.

Looking forward to 2013... Looks like I may actually end up in the hot seat, anxious to get started with the help of the many knowledgable and passionate people who are already involved. Smiley

The hammer drops evening of October 3rd, new leadership takes over on the 16th.

Look to Kitelife's home page (link below) for our annual daily updates from the convention (Oct 2-6 reports, likely to be published daily Oct 3-7), and consider subscribing to Kitelife while you're there... Some good benefits, and it helps me keep on kicking ass for better or worse. Smiley

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2012, 11:01 PM »

Considering the fact that the "kiting movement" is virtually nonexistent, I'd say you need to seriously reassess what's going on at the AKA. Because what they've been doing isn't working.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tcope

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2012, 07:08 AM »

"They" as in "we"? Replace those pronouns and read the post again. See if it changes the meaning.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2012, 04:14 AM »

Yes, if you replace words, the meaning changes; that's how language works.

Fdeli
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document