GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum in 20mph+ wind...WOW!!!  (Read 732 times)
hawghunter1083
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 13, 2012, 01:54 PM »

First I wanted to say thanks to the operators of this forum and to the members.  I am fairly new to stunt kites and have learned a lot to help me get started.  I flew my new Citrus Quantum on the beach this past week while on vacation @ Kure Beach/Fort Fisher, NC.   This was it's first flight and I think I can say it is "broke in".  I had read on this forum that this kite was a puller, but I had no idea how much.  The first day the winds were light and the kite flew very well with a nice steady pull.  The second and third days the winds were 20+ mph.  At first I noticed a slight buzz just after lifting off and thought "that was cool".  I then flew side to side throughout the wind range and got more pull and more sound.  I then flew a loop and found out quickly that I needed to brace for those.   After flying awhile I started getting brave, locked my heels in the sand and let it rip...loops, dives, and straight runs across the beach and out over the ocean.  People were turning around down the beach from the chainsaw sound the Quantum was making...it was awesome!  I was getting worried at times that the kite was going to explode in mid air or the 150# lines were going to break, but everything held up great!  This kite was well worth the money and can't wait for the 100' (yellow/green & black) Gomberg tube tail I ordered to arrive for the trip back to the beach in October. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:09 PM by hawghunter1083 » Logged
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:10 PM »

The line should be fine. Check it to make sure they are still the same length because they will stretch over time or in high winds. Also, make sure to set the bridle to high winds to lessen some of the pull on the kite just in case for the lines sake. Have fun. Another fun kite in high winds is the Snapshot. Just a blast in high winds and pulling down the beach. It may save your Quantum in really high winds later.
hawghunter1083

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Funny you should that!  I have 2 new Prism Spectra line sets...an 85' x 150# and a 100' x 150#.  Both sets have been flown on an HQ Comet and the Prism Quantum.  The right(red) line of both sets is approximately 6" longer.  At first I though it was the bridle of one of the kites, but it's the same on both kites.  I am going to pull them out in the backyard and find out what's going on. 
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:43 PM »

We've had the Quantum in similar and higher winds, it handles them great. And it'll pull that 100' tail with ease. You'll draw an even larger audience with the tail even in lower winds. People "Get" tails, most non-kiteflyers don't get this flippy floppy stuff.

I'm still saying the Quantum is a great first kite, I always enjoy ours when I grab it, it does what it does, it has a pleasant buzz, manageable pull and takes anything I've thrown at it and comes back for more with an "Is that all you've got?" attitude.

You'll need to untie the long side of those lines and shorten them to match the short side. It's sadly a common problem for anything but the best quality lines to suffer from some "creep". When  they are rolled out nd before you balance the lengths anchor one side securely and stretch them both at 70-80% of their rated strength- slack and stretch a dozen times or so, then equalize the lengths. It's a step that is missing on mass produced linesets. Once done they should stay pretty stable.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Enjoy you're Quantum. Mine is my F-150 of kites. Built to last, pulls like heck, does tricks with a little effort, but gets things done, a lot of fun and easy to care for.
hawghunter1083

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:25 PM »

Thanks for the advice, mikenchico & Tmadz.  I can relate as this is what I do to my fishing line on spinning reels.  I good 75-80% stretch eliminates line twist.  I'm beginning to see what you are talking about with the kite tails.  I got more attention with the HQ Comet I was flying with the "warm" ribbon tail than I did with the Quantum without the tail.  This is not me in the attached video, but it is the custom tube tail I have ordered from Gomberg.  I can't wait to fly it on my next trip to Fort Fisher, NC in October & over Thanksgiving. 

http://youtu.be/xXgKaiHEDzA
red sweater

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:16 AM »

Also, make sure to set the bridle to high winds to lessen some of the pull on the kite just in case for the lines sake.

I thought that setting it to High Winds decreased speed, not pull. And everything I've read advised setting the bridle back to Low Winds (counter-intuitive, I know) at the highest end of the range. (I think 20+ mph qualifies.) It will make the kite fast, but it should help keep the kite from breaking.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11 AM »

Nose all the way forward works for high and low wind.
It will lessen the pull and speed the kite up.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document