GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(1)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Addiction  (Read 4519 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 09:55 AM »

People say less is more, but as I age I've discovered that more is more.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 10:36 AM »

I wrote two years ago that I needed to "thin the bag a little".

Bugger. Sad

Mike.

Now I know where my addication will led.

madhabitz

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 12:57 PM »

Okay, since my friend Conway outted me in this thread:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8169.0

I am going to fess up to what I've done. I can't decide if it feels really really bad or really excellent. I guess since I keep yelling "I LOVE THIS KITE!" at the top of my lungs while flying, I'm guessing things feel excellent.

It all began with me realizing that I was at a stalemate with my Mamba. I know it can trick because I've seen everyone but me trick it. But I've been trying to do a half-axel for nearly a year, nevermind anything else, I decided to jump on the WidowMaker bandwagon.... so I ordered one-- the cheesy (some people think) original black/red one from JonT.

In the meantime, I had a mental list of kites I've been admiring and follow any thread where they come up. Tom Patterson (tpatters) put up a Fearless Vented Light with colors I might have chosen myself. I jumped on it, but was 2nd in line. Then I was first! I bought that puppy and fell in love with it, so much so I ordered the T-shirt and prepared to take the first swallow:

So then a guy named Eddie (pudders on the forum) put up a Deep Space for sale. Oy.... the DS was the very first kite I fell in love with but didn't buy because at the time I hadn't read much about them. The price was good, so I jumped on this as well. This is the kite I do my yelling with. Within five minutes I knew I'd found *my* kite after the first half-axel. This is the kite that will teach me enough to do tricks on my Mamba and other kites. It's so danged agile, it's unbelievable. I love this kite! So much so I ordered an UL from Tim. It's now en-route to the States.

So then a guy named Gerald (Kabel on the forum) put up two black/white Deep Space kites up for sale. Oh man.... sold to me. They are en-route from Germany.

The WidowMaker arrived last week. Oh man, I love this kite too-- it's exactly what everyone says it is and maybe more so. The cool way it ducks its little head to do a half axel is amazing!

So now I will have all these kites, an embarrassment of riches at this point and not something I will be able to continue to do. Now I just pray for time and decent winds ..... and for the little soccer darlings to go away.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
SSpooner
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 03:12 PM »

I am going to fess up to what I've done. I can't decide if it feels really really bad or really excellent.

All is forgiven... say 10 Hail BMKs and you are free to buy more kites.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:23 PM by SSpooner » Logged
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Nancy, it is not an embarrassment of riches. It's an addiction, but a great addiction in which we can conduct commerce on the objects of our addiction. Isn't that great?
madhabitz

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 03:39 PM »

All is forgiven... say 10 Hail BMKs and you are free to buy more kites.

Cheesy

Say, don't you think we need a couple'o SULs? Nirvana SUL? You know, for that upcoming no-wind season?

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Something like this?

You're welcome to try it out.  Wink
madhabitz

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Ooooh.... pretty!!

I won't be able to make the Ripon fly this month, but I'll shoot for the next one (should be cooler, I hope!). Think you can bring it then?

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 05:20 PM »

Damn, I guess I need to move west to fly with you guys!

My addiction is strong, I've got 5 mambas, a psycho, and a stranger on the way. And close behind will be three more!

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
madhabitz

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 05:25 PM »

Nancy, it is not an embarrassment of riches. It's an addiction, but a great addiction in which we can conduct commerce on the objects of our addiction. Isn't that great?

Yeah. Great.  Lips sealed

Seriously, it is fun to have all these options, but it's so darned easy to begin to believe that the next kite is going to be the one that will perform a bunch of tricks-- that the last ones were just crummy kites. I've never fallen for the crummy part, but I have to be really careful not to fall in with that other part. I'm just now to the point where I can feel and actually see some of the differences and it helps a lot. Now it's just a matter of putting a ton of hours into them on the field. I am very happy with what is in my bag now (and hopefully by the end of the week!). If I never bought another kite ::cough:: they would be enough.

Nancy

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 05:27 PM »

Sounds good, yeah I'll have it with me.

Yeah, my addiction is just fine.. I cannot comment further on the grounds that this may incriminate me.  hah!

wait, you have all those on the way coop, or just the Stranger?
Wink
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 05:31 PM »

All! :)Cool

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
madhabitz

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Damn, I guess I need to move west to fly with you guys!

My addiction is strong, I've got 5 mambas, a psycho, and a stranger on the way. And close behind will be three more!

Whoa! LOL!

madhabitz

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 05:51 PM »

Yeah, my addiction is just fine.. I cannot comment further on the grounds that this may incriminate me.  hah!

Gads, we can't have that!!

trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 09:10 PM »

yea... i thought i had a problem..... UNTIL TONIGHT!  yea someone on here made my collection look tiny.  maybe mine is just more compact in my little case.... yea thats it.... my addiction is fine... so is my OCD!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document