GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying but not achieving 540's :-(  (Read 5091 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 28, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Hi, I went flying yesterday.
Good weather, wind ~18km/h, my Soul, 25m lines...
I had seen Prism's video on 540 like 1000 times...
... but I couldn't even get a single 540...
The most I got, once, was a 180  Embarrassed      Sad

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I flare the kite well after the dive. It goes into a deep flare with the kite's belly perfectly parallel to the floor.
But when I pull the line (the right one in my case) the kite flips into a fade instead of turning!

What's wrong!    Cry

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
RonG
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 03:43 PM »

Don't know the characteristics of that particular kite, but...

If it's pulling back into the fade, somewhat less aggressive a pop on that line. Also, you may not be slacking the opposite line enough.

It's a little easier to set up a 540, at least at first, by angling the kite. In the dive, angle the nose a bit to the left if you're going to pop the right line. Opposite if you're going to pop the left line.

Not all kites like to go complete flat before popping the 540.

YMMV.
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 03:51 PM »

It took me a while to get the 540 but now I have it down it's a sweet trick and the Soul will do them nicely.

Ok, first fly to the top of the window with your arms right back behind you, turn into the dive then bring your arms forward to go into the flare.  You want to go into a lop sided flare with the nose tipped to one side, so as you bring your arms forward stop one arm briefly at waist level while letting the other arm carry on forward.  Let the kite over rotate on the flare so it sits off centre with the nose slightly up. Give a quick pop with your 'stopped'  hand and then let it carry on forward - all of this should be one fluid movement. As the kite starts to rotate move forward to give it plenty of slack for the rotation then take up the slack.

You go into the trick nose down and come out of it nose up.

This video helped me finally get it - http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials/randygs

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:45 PM »

Hi AA,

(only my 2c)

The secret to the 540 is.....

And has always been.....

>SLACK WITH THE OFF HAND, lots and lots and lots of slack*<

You can do everything else right but in the end the basic rookie error* on the 540 is.....

[see above]

*(82.47% of the time)

WD

WinterDaze AoF
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:39 PM »

Ditto for the Taz - for the same reason.

6 kite tom
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:04 PM »

Good morning (literally just now woke up)

Thanks to all!
Since I am now officially on summer holidays I'll try to practice with your advise and suggestions  Smiley

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 11:06 PM »

... but I couldn't even get a single 540...

Yea verily whence thine 540s dost desert thee and thine left hand dost lose its cunning, hasten thee unto this little gem.

If you can't get it after this then you should seriously reconsider whether kiting is really for you. Maybe a Rev is more your thing.  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 01:48 AM »

If you can't get it after this then you should seriously reconsider whether kiting is really for you. Maybe a Rev is more your thing.  Wink

Mike.

Oh thats a bit harsh isn't it! ( speaking as one who recently drifted briefly into the Darkside and quickly came running back once he'd untangled his legs from all those B%^**Y line tangles!)   Wink

It took me a while to get the 540 then had one of those Eureka! moments, now it's easy.

Ara - best to try it on a day when the winds are light to begin with, makes it much easier.

Oh yes, and lots of slack.

*** Check this out at around 48 seconds in for the set up you need.

BINTULU KITE FLYER (SOUL STD)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:04 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:41 AM »

Here's another 540 study that helped me...

540 Studies

ko

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:25 AM »

Mike harsh? Na just playful (great link) Between Randy, Andy and Martin You have ALOT of help on enough to keep you busy for awhile.

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:01 AM »

Who needs video when you've got good, clear, ASCII art?

Allen, AKA kitehead
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 12:18 PM »

Last summer I asked for help on he same trick 540 ... I got plenty of support and help.  Watch what ever RobB sends you also RandyG's and mama74 videos.  They will set you in the right direction.  i worked hard everyday for a week.  Finally it came to me.  But one thing for sure once yu get it.  You'll improve on the inputs you use. In the beginning i needed a lot of slack and ran forward to create even more.  I'd throw my arm out ,almost out of socket. Now at times I barely give any slack at all.  Just put my arm forward a little.
The video Rob gave you is where you want to get to.  But it will take time to imitate him..but that is a good objective.

It is easier to do on the side of the window. with less wind.  Only one arm extends.   the other stays to pull the line back (pop) .  As you extend the one arm with slack give a quick pull with the other hand to start the rotation.  That is the point were slack needs to be controlled.

I just read all that I wrote..heck I'd never understand what I said.  The best way to learn is to go video what you are doing so we can comment on what your doing right or wrong. 

I'd video two times a day.. one week later I was doing the trick.  Then I had to learn the other side... Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

By summer's end I'd do left and right 540's without stopping.  up to four in a row.
video what your doing  ... this forum can get you there ... 

RobB helped me get there..listen to him.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
RobB

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 12:52 PM »

The best advice I can give is just echoing the help and advice everybody here gave me when I asked the question myself. At that time, the Classy Kite forum was more active, and Martin (Mama74) and RandyG were posting helpful comments and advice on their videos, and they took the time to watch ours and comment. Martin even made a couple of videos to answer questions we asked over there. Check out some of the discussions there, there's some really good info...

http://classykite.org/ck/forum/YaBB.pl?board=tricktreat

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 02:30 PM »

Hi,

Thanks to all for all your support and advise. I will try hard.

Yea verily whence thine 540s dost desert thee and thine left hand dost lose its cunning, hasten thee unto this little gem.
If you can't get it after this then you should seriously reconsider whether kiting is really for you. Maybe a Rev is more your thing. 
Mike.

Mike, thou shall ne'er push me to the dark side!   Huh
And I don't take it harshly because I'm having fun in the process and I'll get to where I can, no more, no less.   Wink
Now, the link you passed me is really great!
The descriptions are awesome and I love the Crap ASCII Art. I'm feeling confident I'll get it soon.

Vertigo2u I liked your description, thanks!

mama74's studios are nice, but he's so good that all movements are "subtle" and hence escape my eye...

I don't know whether I will be able to video record myself. In places where I fly I don't trust passers-by to leave my camera recording behind me...

In any case, I hope I get good practice time these holidays.
Thanks all! I'll be reporting.

N.

In my bag...
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07 PM »

Mike, thou shall ne'er push me to the dark side!   Huh
I would never advocate such a thing.  Wink

And I don't take it harshly because I'm having fun in the process and I'll get to where I can, no more, no less.   Wink Now, the link you passed me is really great!
It's worth noting that it dates from a time of flatter kites and even flatter 540s. Few modern, deep sailed kites are going to replicate that "spinning plate" look of a kite with 10cm stand offs.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document