GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying but not achieving 540's :-(  (Read 4556 times)
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 07:37 AM »

I tried practicing the 540 this weekend and still haven't managed to do it successfully either. Below is another short video model that I have been using which shows exaggerated movements in slo-mo.

Kite 540

After watching/listening a few more times, I may have missed one important point. The commentator advises to flare until "the spine is horizontal, then tug one line," but it looks like the kite actually over-flares (?) such that the spine is starting to become vertical (like it would for an axel spin). I kept trying to pop the line when the kite was flat, but the line just wrapped around the leading edge or some other nasty outcome occurred. I am now noticing, in most of the 540 videos, that the kite is pointing more nose upward before the start of the spin cycle. I'll have to give that a try next time...

Also, in this video, the pilot's body movements would indicate that he is flying the kite down the left window and popping the right wing (after the flare); but, it looks like the kite's left wing is beginning each rotation. It would really help me to see a synchronized view of what the kite looks like in the air as well as the inputs. I wonder why they chose a camera angle looking toward the pilot (kite's back side) vs. from the flyer's vantage. For me, at least, it makes it kinda hard to visualize what should be happening. I do love the slo-mo video inputs on this trick - that portion is very helpful.

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Hadge

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 08:22 AM »

The Prism video isn't really the clearest.  Try Randy G's 540 tutorial on the page below - bottom right corner of the list.

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials/randygs

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ken Bour

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 11:20 AM »

The Prism video isn't really the clearest.  Try Randy G's 540 tutorial on the page below - bottom right corner of the list.

Thanks, but RandyG's video confuses me also. Is it an optical illusion or is the camera pointed toward the pilot?! It appears to me that the kite is flaring towards the viewer? Why not show the kite from the pilot's perspective? That's what I would see when trying to learn/perform this trick.

I do notice one additional movement that I did not see in the Prism video. In addition to the back-front arm swing, Randy definitely takes a step forward with the 1st flare input and a second one to continue providing slack. That seems important given the previous comments.

As to my previous question, does the kite have to over-flare so that the nose is pointing up or is it just that it is angled to the ground in a 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock position (for right pop)?

Ken

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28 AM »

Sounds llike you are ready to complete a Pelouse piquer du nez. Just leave out your last 2 inputs.  Wink
Hadge

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 01:19 PM »

As to my previous question, does the kite have to over-flare so that the nose is pointing up or is it just that it is angled to the ground in a 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock position (for right pop)?

Ken

All of my kites need to have to nose slightly over-flared and angled to one side.  It's a trick best learned in light-ish winds, I really 'got' it with the Shadow.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ken Bour

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 05:46 AM »

I am relieved and happy to report that the combined advice from this forum plus RangyG's video contributed to three successful 540's yesterday with my WidowMaker! Grin

Winds were blowing 4-8 MPH although variable and gusty. When the wind died a little, I flew downward to the left side of the window with both arms extended well behind me. I then lunged my body pushing the left hand forward aggressively stopping the right hand near my side. I let the kite continue flaring so that the nose pointed up just a bit, then tugged the right wing (inside) while stepping forward with my left foot. The WM spun around and just as I thought it was gonna lose momentum, it actually made a final rotation to complete the 540! Tongue

Two pieces of advice were critical: (1) letting the nose flare up slightly before popping and (2) giving lots of slack to the non-spinning wing (outside), which was achieved by stepping forward with the left foot coincident with the start of spin.

I have not tried this maneuver yet to my right side, but that will be on the agenda next time out now that I am beginning to get the hang of it.

Thanks to Ara for starting this thread and I hope that the above description is helpful.

Ken

P.S. The trick that is baffling me now is the 1/2 axel, but I'll start another thread if one doesn't already exist.

Hadge

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 06:52 AM »

Well done! it took me ages to get a decent 540. I still think a really nice slow smooth 540 is one of the best looking tricks. When you really have it down try doing a vertical dive from the top of the window then flaring into a 540 when it is only 3-4 feet off the ground and flying off...it looks really cool.

jim-bo
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 08:11 AM »

Notice that in both videos the pilot's hands are in same position:  the left hand is well out in front and the right hand is back at the time of the spin input.    In Randy G's video he says this is very important because it sets the kite up in the cockeyed flare.  Now, when I figure how to do all the rest of it, I will have it made!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 09:31 AM »

I am relieved and happy to report that the combined advice from this forum plus RangyG's video contributed to three successful 540's yesterday with my WidowMaker! Grin

Way to go Ken.   Grin   Grin   Grin

The WM spun around and just as I thought it was gonna lose momentum, it actually made a final rotation to complete the 540! Tongue

I like slow 540s the best. This one sounded perfect.  Cool

BreezChase

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 06:12 AM »

Ok, first fly to the top of the window with your arms right back behind you, turn into the dive then bring your arms forward to go into the flare.  You want to go into a lop sided flare with the nose tipped to one side, so as you bring your arms forward stop one arm briefly at waist level while letting the other arm carry on forward.  Let the kite over rotate on the flare so it sits off centre with the nose slightly up. Give a quick pop with your 'stopped'  hand and then let it carry on forward - all of this should be one fluid movement. As the kite starts to rotate move forward to give it plenty of slack for the rotation then take up the slack.

You go into the trick nose down and come out of it nose up.

This video helped me finally get it - http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials/randygs

The videos alone won't do much help for beginners like me - it would be so much more helpful given short descriptions as yours was - thank you!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 06:58 AM »

Now that I've been flying for several months I find that the descriptions and videos combined make a lot more sense. It really takes some experience flying and trying to get this advice to click, but I don't think you could do it any other way.
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31 AM »

540's don't really need a lot of slack or forward input.  540 with Ocius Sul...  I use to run forward last summer.  No more... once you get it.... work on it... But big differnce between training video and reality once you get it...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 07:56 AM »

Great video Vert. Your right hand is partially obscured, but since I know the hand motion it makes sense. I just need the right winds to work on it. Weather is changing and the wind is getting bigger.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 09:35 AM »

gentle wind and LOADS of slack..less aggressive on the tug..this is how i learnt it Smiley

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 02:51 PM »

I've been waiting for a a few days to fly.  Wind from the north too strong...

Any wind under 5 mph should do it.  Just gentle ..Martin use's more wrist and gentle hand inputs.

I will try and find last years practice.  I was sweating like a dog trying to do it like the video.... Made a mess of things trying to do it.  But with help from the forum I strated to get it.  Then needed to learn on the other side.  But as time went on.  I realized inputs are not so dramatic as video shows.   Even hurt my knee at one point...  Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography