GWTW Forum
October 01, 2016, 12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much pull for the kids (and wife!)  (Read 13652 times)
jasonrohrer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 13, 2016, 06:41 AM »

I have a two-line HQ Bolero II with a 64" wingspan.

On a more mild day, it's fine for even my smallest kids to fly.

This past weekend, it looked like a great kite day (lots of tree motion at home), and when we got out to the open field, it was really blowing.  The Bolero was pulling my 8-y-o across the field, and my 5-y-o simply couldn't fly it at all without me holding him.

I'm 6'8" and 195 pounds, and during gusts, if I had the kite dive through the bottom center of the window, it was even pulling me off my feet.  I loved this feeling (the best kite day I've ever had), but my wife felt like it was too scary and didn't want to take any more turns on the straps.

The answer might be "fly on less windy days," sure.  But my kids were able to fly my small pocket parafoil without trouble that day.

I think sail area has a lot to do with it.  But smaller sails also make the kite faster and harder to control, right (Prism Micron)?  Is there any 2-line kite with less pull but gentle flight characteristics?  Vented or something?
coop
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:44 AM »

you could try adjusting the bridles.
jasonrohrer

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:48 AM »

So... tilt the nose forward to dump wind out the bottom?
Kodama
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:49 AM »

You can experiment tilting the nose forward (tow point up), but that will make the kite go faster, and as a result it may pull harder. You can also move the tow points down (nose backward) until the kite will not take off, then move them a little up. The kite will be slower and probably will pull less. I regularly use a wind tamer (wind brake, wind shield) on days the wind is too strong. I'll attach a picture. It is a piece of screen that attaches between the toy points and the lines, slowing down the kite.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:23 PM »

Wind brakes, big tail, fuzzies (for you long-time fliers).

Angle of attack bridle adjustment.

Smaller kite. Vented kite.

Lots of different methods. Good luck.  Smiley

jasonrohrer

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 02:00 PM »

Does a tail reduce pull?
jaydub

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 02:43 PM »

Reduces speed.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 03:13 PM »

I believe that a tail both reduces speed and pull.

I'm talking big tube tail, not a 25 foot ribbon tail.

Controlled Crash

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:39 PM »

There is also the parafoil/traction kite and buggy option for those high wind days.
It's not a cheap option, so don't tell the wife you heard it here or she might not let you surf the internet unsupervised anymore.
Kodama
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 04:42 PM »

Normally, the faster the kite moves, the stronger the pull. So whatever technique is used to reduce speed will almost always reduce pull. You can also try longer lines or heavier lines then the ones you normally use. If you fly the kite with 80# lines, try using 150 or 200# lines. They will create more drag, thus reducing speed and pull.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 03:31 PM »

Tilting the nose forward does increase speed some but not pull.

Imagine skipping a rock on water. Nice flat rocks skip easily and stay on top, where rounder clunky rocks catch water and stop.

It's the same with kites. When you tilt the nose forward you get the kite to ride more on top of the wind instead of grab wind.  Less wind force in the sail means less pull.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom